Polestar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does "Sport Mode" sharpen this up at all? I'm sure I'll get better as I get used to it, but it feels like it takes a bit too much pedal travel to get going.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I was confused at first, but quickly adapted and now like it. My wife's X3 seems twitchy to me now.
Me too! I found it awkward on the test drive, but having driven the car a few times now I really like how smooth it allows me to leave stop signs & traffic lights.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
It's whole design was to be a nice and gentle start ... but if you put the peddle to the metal then it would fly.

Now that's not like they couldn't add an option in the settings for people that want that Tesla instant nuke when you just look at peddle the wrong way, but I don't think it blends into their "design" philosophy.

My last two cars had 3 settings for throttle response. Both defaulted to Level 2, and even if I left them Sport (Level 3) it would go back to 2 the next time I started the car(s). So 90% of the time I'd be driving with the "Polestar" feel because I was too lazy to change it for day to day driving, so like others I'm used to the throttle.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It's whole design was to be a nice and gentle start ... but if you put the peddle to the metal then it would fly.

Now that's not like they couldn't add an option in the settings for people that want that Tesla instant nuke when you just look at peddle the wrong way, but I don't think it blends into their "design" philosophy.

My last two cars had 3 settings for throttle response. Both defaulted to Level 2, and even if I left them Sport (Level 3) it would go back to 2 the next time I started the car(s). So 90% of the time I'd be driving with the "Polestar" feel because I was too lazy to change it for day to day driving, so like others I'm used to the throttle.
Yes - I found the rapid acceleration/decceleration curve on the M3 to be far too jumpy.

·
Registered
Void non-PP Tow Bar
249 Posts
I remember that from the test drive, almost like the first bit of pedal travel was dead, but that is something I think that is a good thing to avoid the immediate kick as soon as you touch the pedal. I have a few friends with T****'s and sport mode is only ever used to 'impress' others, it is then firmly put back in standard. I prefer not to need an appointment with the chiropractor every time I touch the accelerator

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,867 Posts
Agreed. My Kona was far too sensitive in Sport mode and just made for lurchy driving unless you really concentrated on your foot movement, which is not the safest way to drive. I found the i3 similar too. The Ampera was great for this and the Polestar likewise. In fact the Ampera set the bar very high in so many ways for driveability and the Polestar is the first car that I've driven since then that can match it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I test drove a TVR a number of years ago (early 00s from memory), that had no drive aids/assist at all. It didn't even have ABS! The accelerator on that had a huge pedal travel. As the sales guy said. that was the safety valve...

·
Registered
Void non-PP Tow Bar
249 Posts
I test drove a TVR a number of years ago (early 00s from memory), that had no drive aids/assist at all. It didn't even have ABS! The accelerator on that had a huge pedal travel. As the sales guy said. that was the safety valve...
I have owned 2 :) - The Cerbera had a REALLY long throttle pedal travel, so much so i had to shift my arse forward in the seat to get the full beans. It was TVR's version of traction control.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have owned 2 :) - The Cerbera had a REALLY long throttle pedal travel, so much so i had to shift my arse forward in the seat to get the full beans. It was TVR's version of traction control.
Thats what I test drove! It felt like there was about 6 inches of travel on the go pedal :D

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt
37 Posts
Agreed. My Kona was far too sensitive in Sport mode and just made for lurchy driving unless you really concentrated on your foot movement, which is not the safest way to drive. I found the i3 similar too. The Ampera was great for this and the Polestar likewise. In fact the Ampera set the bar very high in so many ways for driveability and the Polestar is the first car that I've driven since then that can match it.
I believe the Ampera is the same car as the Volt, which I’ve been driving for the last three years, and I agree!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think the point of this is to get better control for one peddle driving. So you can control the strength of the regen/decel by leaving more granular control at low depression amounts.

Now if you disable regen, I wish it went back to a standard throttle response.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts