Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a good search around on the threads but haven't had much luck... can anyone in the UK recommend a good GAP insurance policy please? The first year is included with Admiral anyway so it would be years 2 to (say) 3 or 4.

Ideally if anyone knows where the company has paid out with minimal fuss or denial when required, that would be most helpful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I used ALA Insurance for both my last car and the Polestar.

Reactions: blondebier

·
Super Moderator
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ALA appear to be good - thanks @GDank , I happened to be looking at that exact site while you wrote that! They have a Defaqto 5* rating which means a lot. It's about £400 for a policy covering back-to-invoice over 4 years which doesn't seem too unreasonable?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I did a ton of searching in 2018. They were the best then that I found.

This time I just used them as I got a discount for 2nd policy. Was only £10-20 or something, but the cost wasn't unreasonable.
This time there seemed to be a lot more options and customisation than I remembered from last time, which is always good if there are things you want to protect against.

Reactions: rgledhill

·
Super Moderator
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Out of interest, how did you deal with the fact that most insurers cover this anyway for the first year? Or do you just have to "lump it" and accept it's wasted for the first year?

I've found a 10% off discount code which is helpful :).

·
Super Moderator
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems possible to set a start date 364 days in the future, i.e. to pick up straight after the insurance company's cover finishes. Although, having read the small print about the Admiral insurance policy...

... it looks like if the car were written off tomorrow and my spec wasn't in UK stock, they would just give me the market value anyway!! So much for offering cover equivalent to GAP for the first year. :rolleyes:

I'll buy the ALA GAP insurance now for 4 years I reckon. Many thanks!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Admiral is the worst insurance out there. Yes it's cheap but that's about it.

·
Super Moderator
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was cheap but didn't seem any worse than the others. LV were taking the mickey, wanting nearly £900 for our two cars for two of us in our 40s with >15 years NCD each in a low-risk area! Admiral were about £400.

To put it into context - Direct Line quoted £980 just for the Polestar, never mind the Zoe!!

What makes you think they're so bad? They're also 5* Defaqto rated but of course that doesn't cover customer service.

·
Registered
463 Posts
It was cheap but didn't seem any worse than the others. LV were taking the mickey, wanting nearly £900 for our two cars for two of us in our 40s with >15 years NCD each in a low-risk area! Admiral were about £400.

To put it into context - Direct Line quoted £980 just for the Polestar, never mind the Zoe!!

What makes you think they're so bad? They're also 5* Defaqto rated but of course that doesn't cover customer service.
As a price level comparison: you get same insurance in Canada for 3700-4400 CAD one time payment for a 7 year coverage for the P2.

·
Registered
non PP - Snow - Ordered Sep 20 - Delivery 01 Dec 20
94 Posts
The biggest problem for me when looking for GAP insurance was finding one that insured Companies. My car is a Company car (for the obvious tax reasons in the UK). Armed with a budget and approval the organising the car etc was left to me. Some of the conversations I had with the GAP insurance companies were painful. "We can't insure a car that doesn't belong to you". I know that I'm organising on behalf of my employer, for their car. "That's fine, are you the business owner?" No. "Then we need approval from the owner". There are 2,000+ shareholders, how do I do that?. "Then we need to speak to the chairman". I've met him once, he lives in Gibraltar, I don't think he has time to discuss a £200 insurance policy. "Sorry sir we can't help"
FRUSTRATING!!

Anyway - I used Total Loss GAP. They had people who knew what they were talking about which was a big plus. The true test of insurance is in the claim process and I can't comment on that and hope I never can.

·
Super Moderator
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As do we all! Thanks.

·
Registered
863 Posts
A WORD OF WARNING:
If your car is a lease car then most insurers do not give the first year replacement car option etc. All they generally offer is market value. Therefore you need to go for a Contract Hire GAP policy. Also look to include the initial rental amount if large.
We went with gapinsurance.co.uk (on our eNero) recently and got this:
Date of Purchase: 13/12/2020 17:09:29
Policy Type: Contract Hire GAP
Policy Start Date: 13/12/2020
Policy End Date: 12/12/2022
Claim Limit: £39730
Negative Equity Cover: n/a
Initial Rental Cover: £3,000.00
Premium Paid: £113.54

(premium includes Insurance Premium Tax @ 12%)

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Admiral :

2014 my Mini Copper S was stolen. The keys were taken from our house.
Firstly I was investigated for fraud by Admiral - even though this was my first claim in 5+ years.

But that wasn't the main problem. Apparently you didn't get a curtsy car if its stolen - so could be in an accident and workshop for two weeks, but not if your car is stolen for two weeks.

I looked about at the time and most slightly more expensive companies include this.

But was in the small print so even though I they made me feel like a criminal, it was still my fault for not reading the small print.

Anyway they then tried to offer me £12k for it.... A quick Auto Trader showed the same car for £15k+. Weeks of arguing back and forth they go to £14.5k as thier final offer.

The day after that the final offer the police found the car in Wembley.

2015 - Same mini.... A white van didn't see my in his left blind spot. And decided to change lane and squeeze me between him and an anti-parking curb.
The Mini didn't fair well.

Turns out he wasn't insured. But that's OK as Admiral now covered you!

However he couldn't afford to pay the £3k damages so he agreed to pay £50 a month.

I had to pay the £500 excess and then wait for Admiral to get the £3k back before they would refund my £500.

He stopped paying after £2k. Admiral said I had to take him to small claims court if I wanted the money back.

I pointed out that I paid extra for up to £10k legal cover on my insurance and what they would do to help me. They replied they had closed the accident and just accepted the less than full payment, so legal support would no longer apply.

Again read the T&C

There is more but on my phone and not PC.

I've never used Admiral again, and I always check the small print now.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think I just went on a comparison website and got 3 years back-to-invoice for £178.

·
Registered
Oct '20 / VIN47xx. Void, Slate, 20"
554 Posts
@rgledhill Is it actual GAP insurance included for the first year with your insurance, or just a 'replacement' new car?

This might not apply to you but as @toscal353 says, be wary of whether the lease (or other finance) company will accept a replacement car as a way to pay off your lease/credit. Many won't and you might need 'proper' GAP cover in the worst case.

I used ALA, and got a good deal on their Contract Hire Plus cover. I think it was about £120 for 2 years.

·
Registered
P*2 9xxx, Dec sw, Midnight, 20",No PP
45 Posts
I used ALA a few years ago, nice company to deal with BUT I never had to claim so I don't know what their claims service is like.

·
Registered
695 Posts
So my wife has just spoken to LV about our up and coming arrival, as our A4 insurance renewal is two weeks after the expected delivery date. They gave us a reasonable circa £580 for both, with all of the gubbins around NCD etc. They also confirmed that in the first year of ownership they will replace the car, and after that it will be market value. I guess the question is what would GAP insurance add to this mix, it seems overkill or am I missing something huge?

·
Registered
182 Posts
So my wife has just spoken to LV about our up and coming arrival, as our A4 insurance renewal is two weeks after the expected delivery date. They gave us a reasonable circa £580 for both, with all of the gubbins around NCD etc. They also confirmed that in the first year of ownership they will replace the car, and after that it will be market value. I guess the question is what would GAP insurance add to this mix, it seems overkill or am I missing something huge?
GAP insurance makes up the difference between what your insurer pays out (i.e. market value) and if you choose that option, the invoice price of the vehicle (there are different options available, but 'return to invoice' is the most common one I think.

That means if you take out GAP insurance for 3 years and write it off after 2.5 years, between the payout from your insurer and the GAP insurance you'll get back the full cost of the vehicle. If you have the car on finance, you'll be liable for the full outstanding amount of the finance so you'd have to make up that shortfall yourself?

·
Registered
695 Posts
So I think it only lands an impact after year 1, as we have had confirmation that our insurer will replace the car in the situation where the car is written off in year one. So does year 2 and 3 gap insurance actually cover the gap between market value and the list price? I knew that existed for year 1, but did not know it existed for years 2 and 3. Saying that, you can get insurance for pretty much everything so I guess I shouldn't be suprised.

·
Super Moderator
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lots to cover there, thank you!

Yes, I did spot in the small print for Admiral about them not replacing the car in year one if no UK stock exists so it's best to assume they'd try and wrangle their way out of it and just do market value - hence in the end I went for 3 years starting today.

I also noticed the small print bit about not getting a hire car if ours is stolen. Now that's really poor and I'm now reconsidering whether to stay with them or go somewhere else; the Polestar is a very desirable car and if it's stolen, you could rack up hundreds of pounds of car hire costs very quickly.

Your tale about how Admiral treated you is appalling... another reason to look at moving. Thanks for the details, no need to provide any more as I get the idea! Shocking way to treat a customer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts