Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed something in the manual that I won't be able to test until next week.

It is not possible to start the vehicle or switch gear positions when the charging cable is plugged in.
So I fully understand not being able to put the car in drive while plugged in. That's how my current car works. But why can't you start the car? Shouldn't you be able to sit in your garage, crank up the heat, crank up the stereo and enjoy your car during COVID when there's nowhere to go? Doing this on shore power is the best of both worlds and seems like a no-brainer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
But if there's nowhere to go, then you can do all that then plug the car in to recharge.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
As there is no start /stop button you don't "start" the car until Drive or Reverse is engaged.

However everything else works. Except cameras for some strange reason.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As there is no start /stop button you don't "start" the car until Drive or Reverse is engaged.

However everything else works. Except cameras for some strange reason.
So does the radio and HVAC work?

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But if there's nowhere to go, then you can do all that then plug the car in to recharge.
True. But normally you leave it plugged in to keep the battery warm/cool....oh I forgot, PS doesn't do that :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice to hear that someone else also calls it shore power. I grew up on a boat, so that's my default terminology. :)
Not much sailing in CO. :)
Always thought I'd like to live on a boat, now I'm too old but still love to sail. Won a few trophies in my younger days.😁

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On a related note, it has come up before that it's difficult to leave people in the car with the HVAC running. Reading the manual (how novel) I just found this about "modes":

ComfortWhen someone sits in the driver's seat or when the center display is used or started via the media button in the tunnel console:
  • The center display can be used.
  • The infotainment system starts automatically (same as while driving).
  • The climate system starts automatically (same as while driving).
  • The power seats can be adjusted.
  • Power windows, Bluetooth, navigation, phone and windshield wipers can be used.
  • The 12-volt socket in the cargo compartment can be used.
  • The USB ports can be used.

So if you have to leave the car, it can be put into "Comfort" mode by your passenger via the media button so they can listen to music and stay cool/warm. No need to buckle the seat belt behind you.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,877 Posts
Now that is a very useful tip! Thanks!

Reactions: JRRF

·
Registered
772 Posts
Just to be sure I’m understanding, the media button is the top of the round volume knob?

·
Registered
17 Posts
On a related note, it has come up before that it's difficult to leave people in the car with the HVAC running. Reading the manual (how novel) I just found this about "modes":

ComfortWhen someone sits in the driver's seat or when the center display is used or started via the media button in the tunnel console:
  • The center display can be used.
  • The infotainment system starts automatically (same as while driving).
  • The climate system starts automatically (same as while driving).
  • The power seats can be adjusted.
  • Power windows, Bluetooth, navigation, phone and windshield wipers can be used.
  • The 12-volt socket in the cargo compartment can be used.
  • The USB ports can be used.

So if you have to leave the car, it can be put into "Comfort" mode by your passenger via the media button so they can listen to music and stay cool/warm. No need to buckle the seat belt behind you.
Where is 'modes' in the menu ?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Just to be sure I’m understanding, the media button is the top of the round volume knob?
Yes, it's the play/pause button on top of the volume knob. I did discover this behavior during my long trip. Note that after some period of time (not sure, maybe 30 minutes) a message will pop up on the center display with a countdown timer to shut down, you can hit "Continue" to keep the car in Comfort mode. It would be nice to explicitly set it into a mode though.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, it's the play/pause button on top of the volume knob. I did discover this behavior during my long trip. Note that after some period of time (not sure, maybe 30 minutes) a message will pop up on the center display with a countdown timer to shut down, you can hit "Continue" to keep the car in Comfort mode. It would be nice to explicitly set it into a mode though.
You're looking for a key type operation with different detente positions. Get with the 21 Century program 😆

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
This needs to be added to the "I didn't know that" thread.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts