Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advice would be appreciated.

My expected delivery is February 2021, but my Vin number appeared this evening. This was my second bit of good news, the first being free 10,000 miles, thank you polestar.

So, a few questions.

1. Does the Vin number suggest it might be delivered early? I ordered mid October, initially the system said January but order details now show February.

2. With a Vin number can I organise a home charger now and claim the grant?

3. I have transferred to Octopus energy. Currently on a Tracker rate which is very competitive when compared to SSE. Need to decide if agile tariff is better for me than Go. We are both retired, we have a potters kiln ( each firing is about 12 hours ) and in the near future a polestar 2!
Any suggestions on which home charger to take advantage of Octopus agile, a charger than can pick up the cheapest times on WiFi? Mobile signal is only just two bars.

Advice for a newbie to EV cars (BMW 5 series driver currently) would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Like you, I ordered mid October with a delivery shown as January. For some reason, probably my colour choice, I received a VIN about three weeks ago and was told late November early December. I say the colour, because I have since found that my car has been in England since before the Romans came, aka September 2020. (you will understand this comment if you read some of the forum chats). So my car is probably a cancelled order and (again gleaned from the forum) an unpopular colour, although we like it!
My car is being delivered next Thursday, but I understand the website is set up to track the process of each car through order, to manufacture to delivery. So I don't think having the VIN means an earlier delivery. My VIN is 29xx and posts on this forum quote VINs over1xxxx.
I am not sure if you will be able to claim your grant, but I do know that for my son to claim his grant recently, he had to have an EV registered in his name as he was getting it second hand. However, when I ordered a Zoe three years ago, I was able to claim through the system in place at the time, three months before delivery. So maybe.
I to have transferred to Octopus. I intend to use the Go tariff. There is a good discussion of the marits of Go or Agile and it seems to depend on you timing and usage of electricity. On of the great things about Octopus (though for me, yet to be proved ) is the flexibility to transfer between tariffs.
As far as being a newbie to EV'S you will never look back. I knew from the moment we had our Zoe as a second car, I would never buy another ICE.

·
Super Moderator
700 Posts
Getting a VIN now depends on whether you've picked up a lease car that's left over from the initial allocation, as @charles42 has done, or are getting one made in the factory. What approximately is the VIN? Anything less than 5000 is an early one (see later comments...) and anything above 15xxx means it's being made to order. I got a VIN on 28th September, and it's looking hopeful for a delivery on 3rd December or thereabouts, so it's around 9-10 weeks from VIN to delivery. Getting a VIN means that the car is in the final stages of being built in China, i.e. a chassis has had a VIN allocated to it, and it's then been allocated to your order. This means you can expect to receive it at the end of January or early February.

Now, regarding early VINs, and you might not like this bit @charles42 ... Your car will definitely be subject to at least one recall, possibly two, to replace faulty parts fitted in the factory - one is the High Voltage Coolant Heater (HVCH) part, which tends to damage a few other electronics control units when it goes, and the other is the front or rear or both inverters (the drive electronics for the motors). If you're lucky, they should have been done before they're delivered to you; if not, as soon as you get it, you'll need to book it in for the work. At the moment, priority for replacing the parts is being given to motorists whose car has failed (naturally), then existing cars who are booked in, with (I suspect) to-be-delivered lease cars at the bottom of the pile, with booking dates now being well into January for many Volvo dealerships where the work is being done. Hopefully Charles your car has had the recall work done but I would press Customer Services very hard to get this checked, as if not, you're looking at a car that will almost certainly fail on you in the first 4-6 weeks of ownership...

Reactions: toscal353

·
Registered
94 Posts
Like you, I ordered mid October with a delivery shown as January. For some reason, probably my colour choice, I received a VIN about three weeks ago and was told late November early December. I say the colour, because I have since found that my car has been in England since before the Romans came, aka September 2020. (you will understand this comment if you read some of the forum chats). So my car is probably a cancelled order and (again gleaned from the forum) an unpopular colour, although we like it!
My car is being delivered next Thursday, but I understand the website is set up to track the process of each car through order, to manufacture to delivery. So I don't think having the VIN means an earlier delivery. My VIN is 29xx and posts on this forum quote VINs over1xxxx.
I am not sure if you will be able to claim your grant, but I do know that for my son to claim his grant recently, he had to have an EV registered in his name as he was getting it second hand. However, when I ordered a Zoe three years ago, I was able to claim through the system in place at the time, three months before delivery. So maybe.
I to have transferred to Octopus. I intend to use the Go tariff. There is a good discussion of the marits of Go or Agile and it seems to depend on you timing and usage of electricity. On of the great things about Octopus (though for me, yet to be proved ) is the flexibility to transfer between tariffs.
As far as being a newbie to EV'S you will never look back. I knew from the moment we had our Zoe as a second car, I would never buy another ICE.
What rgledhill states sounds like a logical explanation for what happened to me - though no-one at Polestar ever went into any real detail about repeated delays, in my case from September to October to November to December, and even January at one point. My order was placed on 12th June, and I finally got a handover date this week: 3rd December. This is a lease car, and before I received the confirmed handover the leasing firm told me that the recall could add up to four weeks onto lead times for delivery. In sum, I don't think it's possible with what is still early production to track precisely how long from getting a VIN will be the lead time for delivery.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Getting a VIN now depends on whether you've picked up a lease car that's left over from the initial allocation, as @charles42 has done, or are getting one made in the factory. What approximately is the VIN? Anything less than 5000 is an early one (see later comments...) and anything above 15xxx means it's being made to order. I got a VIN on 28th September, and it's looking hopeful for a delivery on 3rd December or thereabouts, so it's around 9-10 weeks from VIN to delivery. Getting a VIN means that the car is in the final stages of being built in China, i.e. a chassis has had a VIN allocated to it, and it's then been allocated to your order. This means you can expect to receive it at the end of January or early February.

Now, regarding early VINs, and you might not like this bit @charles42 ... Your car will definitely be subject to at least one recall, possibly two, to replace faulty parts fitted in the factory - one is the High Voltage Coolant Heater (HVCH) part, which tends to damage a few other electronics control units when it goes, and the other is the front or rear or both inverters (the drive electronics for the motors). If you're lucky, they should have been done before they're delivered to you; if not, as soon as you get it, you'll need to book it in for the work. At the moment, priority for replacing the parts is being given to motorists whose car has failed (naturally), then existing cars who are booked in, with (I suspect) to-be-delivered lease cars at the bottom of the pile, with booking dates now being well into January for many Volvo dealerships where the work is being done. Hopefully Charles your car has had the recall work done but I would press Customer Services very hard to get this checked, as if not, you're looking at a car that will almost certainly fail on you in the first 4-6 weeks of ownership...
My Vin is 19xxx, so this seems to be good news. It is being made at the moment.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for the advice @rgledhill I well be careful to check things are ok. I have been assured by Customer Services (without prompting), that my car is having the parts replaced before delivery, together with the software update that will allow OTA updates in the future. I guess I should press them for formal confirmation before I accept delivery.

·
Super Moderator
700 Posts
Frustratingly I've now been told different information, that the 3rd December "estimated delivery date" showing up in the pro forma invoice is actually the date it should arrive in the UK, and actually it's still on the boat to Zeebrugge! This adds another three weeks at least to the timescales, so I'd say you're probably looking at February for delivery. Sorry!

·
Registered
191 Posts
So my journey has been pretty smooth, placed my order on the 27th September, car should be delivered today all being well, so less than 2 months. I too had a vin pretty quickly, I think mine was an unassigned one on the boat over at the time, and the only option I ticked was for Thunder paint, so I think I was lucky.

My VIN is in the 13,000s so not affected by the recalls and I'm hoping the OTA updates have been applied, but I'll post once its here and I can check.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
1. With a Vin of 19xxx that's a new car being made. Will take 2-3 months to be made, shipped, and delivered. So a Feb Delivery is probably very realistic.

2. You don't need a VIN or a Number plate, or even a Car to get the grant. You just get either the supplier of the charger or one of the registered electricians to do the work and they will just take off the Charger Grant from the final cost.

A selection of Chargers and UK electricians (at the bottom of the first Post) are here :

3. There are many Threads on Agile vs Go, you can use the search function to find them. However here is the TLDR version:-

GO : Great if you daily drive the car less than 100miles per day. You guarantee 5p for 4 hours per night. Also easy for scheduling chargers and/or if you have high electrical usage between 4-7pm.

Agile : If you can move a lot of power usage out of the 4-7pm slot, you only do a full charge once per week, and you don't mind a bit of messing about adjusting the schedule charging (or buy and OHME cable) to get the best off-peak rates ... Then Agile all the way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So my journey has been pretty smooth, placed my order on the 27th September, car should be delivered today all being well, so less than 2 months. I too had a vin pretty quickly, I think mine was an unassigned one on the boat over at the time, and the only option I ticked was for Thunder paint, so I think I was lucky.

My VIN is in the 13,000s so not affected by the recalls and I'm hoping the OTA updates have been applied, but I'll post once its here and I can check.
Hello and hope delivery today went well! Would be very interested to get your feedback as my journey so far very similar to yours! Ordered mid Oct, est delivery was Dec / Jan then vin arrived (high 13’s) and delivery date came a couple of weeks back for next Weds. I was assured all recall issues fixed / done at buildand OTA set up. I guess I must have picked a spec that was already build and in transit (snow/19)? First time EV, never driven or sat in the car so excited and apprehensive like many (we were looking at Volvo phevs until we saw a P2 being unloaded for a press road test in Brighton and loved the look as well as the spec)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hello and hope delivery today went well! Would be very interested to get your feedback as my journey so far very similar to yours!
Hmm, not great news today, apparently it had a dent and a mechanical fault, so they didn't send it out. Getting an XC60 hybrid as a loan car (on Wednesday) until they sort mine out, so at least I can use the charger and drive around almost electrically...

At least they sorted me out with a car pretty quickly, its a 3 working day turnaround for a loan car apparently

·
Registered
94 Posts
Big shame you're having to wait after getting a handover date which, you would think, should be the end of the process. You had a bit of luck, though, ordering in September and getting a November delivery. In the end ( if mine turns up on 3rd December ) that's a lot shorter than I've waited since ordering in June.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Big shame you're having to wait after getting a handover date which, you would think, should be the end of the process. You had a bit of luck, though, ordering in September and getting a November delivery. In the end ( if mine turns up on 3rd December ) that's a lot shorter than I've waited since ordering in June.
Yep, its disappointing that there was a problem, but its a lease car, so I don't have to worry about any issues. I've told the lease company that there was an issue with delivery, so as far as I'm concerned its up to them.

Getting a loan car is nice as well, so that eases the pain a bit

·
Registered
590 Posts
I would echo @rgledhill comments regarding the early VIN's. Expect long delays waiting for parts, and also time slot availability to apply them. I think there are 4 serious recalls in all and some or all could hit you. Sorry to be negative - expect the worst and hope for the best!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Real shame about the car problems and delivery. Hope it gets fixed.
would also be interested in the collective view of what VIN is the split between ‘early’ (needing recall rework for inverter etc) and ‘late’ (stable build). I thought the early VINs were up to 5000 ish??

·
Super Moderator
700 Posts
That's about right, yes.

Reactions: IJPPS2

·
Registered
3 Posts
Advice would be appreciated.

My expected delivery is February 2021, but my Vin number appeared this evening. This was my second bit of good news, the first being free 10,000 miles, thank you polestar.

So, a few questions.

1. Does the Vin number suggest it might be delivered early? I ordered mid October, initially the system said January but order details now show February.

2. With a Vin number can I organise a home charger now and claim the grant?

3. I have transferred to Octopus energy. Currently on a Tracker rate which is very competitive when compared to SSE. Need to decide if agile tariff is better for me than Go. We are both retired, we have a potters kiln ( each firing is about 12 hours ) and in the near future a polestar 2!
Any suggestions on which home charger to take advantage of Octopus agile, a charger than can pick up the cheapest times on WiFi? Mobile signal is only just two bars.

Advice for a newbie to EV cars (BMW 5 series driver currently) would be much appreciated.
I ordered September, with an anticipated delivery date of December or January. I had no problem in getting a Pod Point (with grant) installed a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Real shame about the car problems and delivery. Hope it gets fixed.
would also be interested in the collective view of what VIN is the split between ‘early’ (needing recall rework for inverter etc) and ‘late’ (stable build). I thought the early VINs were up to 5000 ish??
Customer Services told me earlier this week, all cars up to about VIN 8450

·
Registered
27 Posts
I originally ordered in Sept with expected Jan del, a week later advised my car is available now !!! explaimed I couldn’t accept it before Jan.
Just called cs today to check on my order vin now changed from 006*** to 017*** and told it should not require any updates or recalls.
Let’s see what happens !!!

·
Super Moderator
700 Posts
17xxx won't need any hardware updates, probably just a software update to support over-the-air updates in the future. 17xxx should be delivered in mid- to late January, I estimate.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts