Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting ready to install my Chargepoint home flex charger. I’m going to hardwire it and get it ready to be able to charge at the 50 amps. I know the polestar 2 will only accept up to 11kw or 48 amps although I want to future proof this with all the right breakers and wiring.

Here’s all the parts I have so far:
  • Chargepoint home flex
  • 70 amp SD breaker (50 amps at 80% is 62.5 amps)
  • 100 amp disconnect
  • 4 gauge THHN/THWN-2 red and black hot wires (red was hard to find)
  • 8 gauge THHN/THWN-2 green ground wire
  • Schedule 40 pvc conduit 1-1/4” including knock out locknuts and fittings.
I’ll be installing the 70 amp breaker on my main panel and running the THHN wires into the garage about 18 feet through conduit. My house has a 225 amp line which is plenty.

The 100 amp disconnect is required for anything over a 60 amp EVSE. Not really required for this set up, but nice to have it for the future. (I hate revisiting a project, if I’m already putting in the time to do it once)

I will be getting a permit from the city of Brentwood for this, as it should all be to code.

I’ll add pictures of my progress over the next week or so. Trying to fit this project in while working a full time job and kids. 😄

We pick up our Polestar 2 tomorrow from San Jose, Ca. Got it fully loaded with all the options. Looking forward to it!!

·
Registered
P2PPP
207 Posts
Take a picture of all the parts in a pile!

Tire Wood Automotive tire Gadget Tread

P.S. What does a permit cost in your location? In our area, I was surprised to discover the Electrical Safety Authority had a dedicated article for a car charger outlet, which was oddly less expensive than a new regular 240V outlet.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I installed my ChargePoint Home Flex myself as an upgrade to my older ChargePoint Home (non-Flex) that reliably charged my Chevy Volt and then MINI SE after that. For the Polestar 2, we upgraded our circuit breaker and replaced the wiring with a thicker gauge. Our new CPHF has been working reliably with the Polestar set for 48A - no complaints!

Reactions: tomato1

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
That's almost exactly my setup. 70A breaker, 4AWG for hots, 6AWG for ground. Reliably pumps 11kW with no issues, cable/connector doesn't even get warm. Car setting maxxed at 48A. You should be good! I'm looking forward to the photos of the install. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I recently installed a Chargepoint HomeFlex as well. Very similar set up. I hardwired it since it's located on an exterior wall. Ran THHN wire (6AWG hots and 10AWG neutral) about 25' through conduit to my main panel and connected to a 50A breaker. I chose the wire size to support a possible upgrade to a 60A breaker at some point to get the full 48A capacity. Running the conduit in a concealed fashion to the basement was a serious PITA, but I'm happy with how it turned out. However, there's now some drywall patching in my future...

Connecting to the app was also giving me some trouble - it wouldn't connect to my wifi when I chose the 50A hardwired option. Called support and they told me the trick was to choose the 40A option since there's some kind of protection setting. It connected no problem after that and I was able to change it back to 50A once connected.

·
Registered
2021 Swedish Blue/Leather/Tow/19"
139 Posts
Can y’all tell me why spend this at home? I am using a 240V plugging directly into the car.
i have solar panels with net metering hence no time of day proce differences to charge.

i just couldn’t justify the additional expense to put in a flex or similar.
Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
Can y’all tell me why spend this at home? I am using a 240V plugging directly into the car.
i have solar panels with net metering hence no time of day proce differences to charge.
i just couldn’t justify the additional expense to put in a flex or similar.
For some people the need for a longer charge cable based on their parking structure demands an alternative solution. That said, there are plenty of $200-300 cables that also plug into the 240V outlet that you mention, that would still be cheaper than a CP or other EVSE permanent install. I think some people go down the rabbit hole of thinking they need/want the cable in the car with them at all times, and that is part of it…

(side note: while i am not super well versed in UK/EU setup, it seems that they have some Level 2 public charging where its “BYOC” (bring your own cable)? So there may be some reasoning there i suppose for those forum members)

But yes… for those of us in the US/North American market, where you really don’t ever NEED to use your cable “on the road” — you can just leave the included cable plugged in at home 24/7 into your 240V outlet and not need to spend any extra money, unless you need a longer cable at which point you opted for something nicer Overall.

·
Registered
139 Posts
For some people the need for a longer charge cable based on their parking structure demands an alternative solution. That said, there are plenty of $200-300 cables that also plug into the 240V outlet that you mention, that would still be cheaper than a CP or other EVSE permanent install. I think some people go down the rabbit hole of thinking they need/want the cable in the car with them at all times, and that is part of it…

(side note: while i am not super well versed in UK/EU setup, it seems that they have some Level 2 public charging where its “BYOC” (bring your own cable)? So there may be some reasoning there i suppose for those forum members)

But yes… for those of us in the US/North American market, where you really don’t ever NEED to use your cable “on the road” — you can just leave the included cable plugged in at home 24/7 into your 240V outlet and not need to spend any extra money, unless you need a longer cable at which point you opted for something nicer Overall.
Ok thanks.
So i am not missing anything more out of this.
I did learn of 1 potential need to have the cable in the car: if you need to charge at an RV park. In certain Ev charging desserts, the only viable charger is an RV park.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Dual Motor Launch Edition 2021 - Void
231 Posts
There is also a question of speed. I don't know about the setup in the US, but if I was to plug in the P2 to my power outlet it will take 24 hours to charge the P2, when I'll be using my charger that will be installed here it takes 6-8 hours.

·
Registered
139 Posts
There is also a question of speed. I don't know about the setup in the US, but if I was to plug in the P2 to my power outlet it will take 24 hours to charge the P2, when I'll be using my charger that will be installed here it takes 6-8 hours.
Hence my question. For 10-90% charge in the US (theoretical calcs, not considering efficiency losts) :
  • Std 110v/12A takes 47hrs
  • 240v/40A takes 6.5hrs, the P* cable is rated for 40A
  • 240v/50A takes 5.2hrs
Thats 1 hr saving for adding a $699 flex plus the electrician to hard wire it (in addition to pulling the 60-70A breaker). All in i would say its additional $800-900 vs a 240v/40A wall receptacle.
Yes electric co will give $50/yr for letting control charging times etc, and fed tax will. Credit 30% of install, but still i cant seem to justify the cost and effort.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hence my question. For 10-90% charge in the US (theoretical calcs, not considering efficiency losts) :
  • Std 110v/12A takes 47hrs
  • 240v/40A takes 6.5hrs, the P* cable is rated for 40A
  • 240v/50A takes 5.2hrs
Thats 1 hr saving for adding a $699 flex plus the electrician to hard wire it (in addition to pulling the 60-70A breaker). All in i would say its additional $800-900 vs a 240v/40A wall receptacle.
Yes electric co will give $50/yr for letting control charging times etc, and fed tax will. Credit 30% of install, but still i cant seem to justify the cost and effort.
The Chargepoint home flex isn’t for everyone.
If I can save 30 minutes after driving around (then needing to go out again after coming home) I’ll take every minute I can save. Time is money in my opinion.
It just depends on how much you drive and where.
I didn’t the entire install myself, and my only cost was the hardware and parts.
I just had to run entire new 4 gauge lines from my main breaker.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I park outside on the driveway of my house.
I want minimal faff for the charging process.
and I like having a robust and accurate method of monitoring and tracking my charging.

Just using the polestar cable, I would have to worry about someone grabbing the unsecured cable, would have to mount and secure the cable somehow (in a likely unsightly manner in the front of my house), or I would have to constantly bring out and put away the cable (Not to mention that NEMA 14-50 outlets aren’t meant to be repeatedly unplugged/replugged).
And, given the polestar app is still buggy, I would still have no reliable way to keep track of the charging to know when, for instance, things were ready to switch charging between my and my wife’s car.

plus, for an outdoor outlet, one should really have GFCI protection on the circuit, which adds to the parts and labor cost of installation.

I got my ChargePoint for $600 and got 30% back from Uncle Sam for it. So real cost was $420.
per my electrician, installing a GFCI protected outlet on the circuit, with a lockable receptacle, vs a hardwired (and cleaner looking!) install would’ve been ~$150 more.

so net cost differential was $270.
For the less faff of the process and a working app to monitor my charging and track it over time too (and schedule charging too!) I think that’s entirely worth it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I chose to go with a ChargePoint for similar reason - I park outside in my driveway and needed to add power for charging in a nearby exterior location. If I had a secure garage, I may have considered a simple 14-50 plug and used the P* cable. Once I had settled on an EVSE for exterior install, a bit more for the Home Flex bells & whistles (connectivity, timers, tracking use) seemed worth it to me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts