Polestar Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I’ve got a new key where you leave one key in the car all the time and just carry around a small fob which the car recognises and the car opens when you touch the door handle
That's called the Sports/Activity fob. I got one of those with my Volvo as well. Turns out that the key drains out pretty quickly if you use it regularly. I was using that one exclusively for a while and it died one day without much of a warning. Had to scramble to find my other keys! 😂
But yes, as others have mentioned, you do not need to leave your existing key in the car for this to work. And, of course, leaving the key in the car is pretty risky in any situation.

·
Registered
181 Posts
...And, of course, leaving the key in the car is pretty risky in any situation.
Actually, and contrary to instinct, it would seem it maybe isn't - as I posted earlier, when the car is locked, any key left inside the vehicle is disabled until the vehicle is unlocked again. So anyone breaking into the car and getting their hands on that key isn't going to be able to use it to start the car. I guess there's probably still some less significant (and avoidable) risk if you're relying on technology acting as it's meant to, insurers may take a dim view and I still can't come up with many situations where you'd actually want to do this, but it's not the jaw-dropping risk that it first seems.

·
Registered
181 Posts
But if you don't lock the car and someone finds the key?
Or sees the key and breaks the window to gain access - off they go....
But as I say, of course there's still some risk so it's not something I would do without good reason, but it's not quite the "OMG!!!" that it first seems like (and let's assume you wouldn't leave the keys sat out on full display)

·
Premium Member
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,293 Posts
True, but if someone's watching you and you get out, close the doors, and press the handle to lock the car, all they need to do is go up to it once you're out of sight, press the handle to unlock the car and drive away.

One thing is certain - if it's nicked and the insurers find out you've left a key in the car, no amount of explaining will make them pay up. You'll have no car and no money.

·
Registered
181 Posts
True, but if someone's watching you and you get out, close the doors, and press the handle to lock the car, all they need to do is go up to it once you're out of sight, press the handle to unlock the car and drive away.
No, that's the point - once you press the handle to lock the car, that key you've left in the car is totally dead so the door isn't going to open for anyone trying the handle apart from you when you return to the car with your active key and unlock the door. Only then is the key left inside the car activated again.

·
Registered
181 Posts
In the name of science, I just had a play. I put one key in my pocket and another on the passenger seat, and opened the passenger window. I then got out of the car and locked it by touching the handle. Took the key out of my pocket and put it in the house. Tried the car doors - locked. Reached through the passenger window and 'stole' the key off the seat - tried the car door handles again, still locked. Pressed the unlock buttons on the fob and even a boot-kick - nothing, car still locked. Got the original key back from the house - car opened fine, and the other key now also worked as usual too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Just to confirm that the spare key was hidden so no one would see it. You could not get in the car without the little fob but at the end of the day NO need to leave any spare key in the car at all. Think as someone said, he was getting his cars mixed up.
Good news also is that the Google assist kicked back in again after a week. I tried holding the de-mister button down for 15 seconds Again. No blinking SOS button but it seems to have done the trick this time!
Thanks all for your help and comments.

·
Registered
299 Posts
In the name of science, I just had a play. I put one key in my pocket and another on the passenger seat, and opened the passenger window. I then got out of the car and locked it by touching the handle. Took the key out of my pocket and put it in the house. Tried the car doors - locked. Reached through the passenger window and 'stole' the key off the seat - tried the car door handles again, still locked. Pressed the unlock buttons on the fob and even a boot-kick - nothing, car still locked. Got the original key back from the house - car opened fine, and the other key now also worked as usual too.
How does it work, technically? Does this mean the car keeps state of keys at all times? Or is it the state kept in the keys?
(You see, @krheinwald, these are the kind of questions I'm planning to ask in the Facebook group too, and pester them to give us all answers. Will it work? I'd give it a 30% probability.)

·
Super Moderator
1,057 Posts
How does it work, technically? Does this mean the car keeps state of keys at all times? Or is it the state kept in the keys?
(You see, @krheinwald, these are the kind of questions I'm planning to ask in the Facebook group too, and pester them to give us all answers. Will it work? I'd give it a 30% probability.)
My bet is on it being along the lines of "For security reasons, Polestar will not disclose this kind of information"

21 - 33 of 33 Posts