Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently we're getting AI to help plan our charging stops and routes more effectively in the latest update to Google Maps ...

It also mentions taking in to account memberships, but not sure how you tell Google you have a preference for a specific charging provider currently.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,588 Posts
Apparently we're getting AI to help plan our charging stops and routes more effectively in the latest update to Google Maps ...

It also mentions taking in to account memberships, but not sure how you tell Google you have a preference for a specific charging provider currently.
I do wish there was a way to directly get feedback to the Google engineers, a la the (possible black hole) of our pings to CS and the polestarfeaturerequest.com site.

My main wish list would be:
  • Indicate the expected time and % battery left at the end of the suggested charging stop, so I know what % to shoot for in case charging rate is low due to cold-gating or the like.
  • Specify chargers to not use or specifically use - I know that certain chargers are broke or invariably blocked from PlugShare or similar apps; let me specify that
  • Add ability to search for food/recreation/rest options nearby - like filter by places with nearby food courts and restrooms
  • Filter by charging speed - my last road trip Google kept suggesting I use a level II charge point station when there was a 150kW rapid station <5 mi away. I see no way that a 7kW stop would be net faster than a 150kW stop - so something in the algorithm is screwy.
  • Filter by vendor - e.g. "I have $500 in ChargePoint - please use those". Maybe also an indicator of how much cash you're willing to pay? Like "Electrify America is fine, I'll pay it" or "Electrify America is stupidly expensive; no"

Basically I'd like to merge Google's accurate predictive algorithms of battery % over a route and all of ABRP's features re charging prediction and how much info it gives re different routes

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
  • Add ability to search for food/recreation/rest options nearby - like filter by places with nearby food courts and restrooms
  • Filter by charging speed - my last road trip Google kept suggesting I use a level II charge point station when there was a 150kW rapid station <5 mi away. I see no way that a 7kW stop would be net faster than a 150kW stop - so something in the algorithm is screwy.
  • Filter by vendor - e.g. "I have $500 in ChargePoint - please use those". Maybe also an indicator of how much cash you're willing to pay? Like "Electrify America is fine, I'll pay it" or "Electrify America is stupidly expensive; no"
From what I've read today, I'm thinking the new update will pretty much cover these.

·
Super Moderator
1,396 Posts
The new routing algorithm is already there. Fast-Chargers along the route are already selected:

No more picking from a list with chargers ranging from 11-150kW. Nice.

I wonder why it is planning for a 35% arrival SoC, though. You could probably save 10mins on the second stop.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Some background information on the routing algorithm: Addressing Range Anxiety with Smart Electric Vehicle Routing
This was a great read! I learned something new - spanners.

Looking very promising!

·
Registered
2021 2
2,588 Posts
The new routing algorithm is already there. Fast-Chargers along the route are already selected:

View attachment 3433

No more picking from a list with chargers ranging from 11-150kW. Nice.

I wonder why it is planning for a 35% arrival SoC, though. You could probably save 10mins on the second stop.
That's great - would be great to know what % you're meant to charge to at each stop and not how much time to spend there since the charging curve seems to be so variable and I doubt Google has all that variation modeled out just yet

·
Super Moderator
1,396 Posts
That's great - would be great to know what % you're meant to charge to at each stop
I see the predicted charging times more of an indication about the planned route, similar to the predicted driving time to the next stop.

When you are charging while routing is active, arrival SoC for the next target is updated in real time. You could simply stop charging when arrival SoC is predicted @ 10%.

I have yet to test the new system on a longer trip. Am also curious how they will implement editing the charge points and preferences for/against certain charger networks.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
873 Posts
This is good news, though not quite to ABRP standards yet!

Hopefully this is a step towards them heating the battery when the charger is a way point on the route like the Tesla does!
Haven't used ABRP, but tried this and it looks good. Only limitation is it doesn't do longer trips, so from near London I can plan a trip eg to Monaco, but not much further out, which is fine because I wouldn't even drive that far on a single day anyway.

What makes ABRP better?

·
Super Moderator
1,396 Posts
What makes ABRP better?
You can use it on a smartphone / in a browser and you can favour/block certain chargers and networks would be he first things which come to mind.

Only limitation is it doesn't do longer trips, so from near London I can plan a trip eg to Monaco, but not much further out
London-Moscow and London- Gibraltar both work?

·
Premium Member
134 Posts

Off subject it appears we are identical twins

·
Registered
873 Posts
You can use it on a smartphone / in a browser and you can favour/block certain chargers and networks would be he first things which come to mind.

London-Moscow and London- Gibraltar both work?

View attachment 3445 View attachment 3446
I was referring to the Google, it worked for Monaco, but not eg Ancona as it claimed it's too long a trip. So that's the only limitation the Google solution has compared to ABRP but I don't mind as I don't plan to drive more than 10 hours a day :)

Even though it would plan a route with charges all the way to Monaco, the most I'd do in a day form London would be a bit more than halfway through, something like this:

·
Registered
873 Posts
Sadly, I don't often get the chance to drive to Monaco.
The first time I was there I couldn't resist doing a lap of the circuit.

I wasn't the only one apparently, and this chap was a bit more enthusiastic than me at the tunnel section and ended up having a chat with the local gendarmerie at the marina:

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
I've only driven there once, in a rental, with the family. It struck me as the ultimate poser spot. There were incredible cars there. I remember one guy got into one and really wanted to gun it and impress everybody as he left, but the traffic was so jammed up, he only had about 50 meters to pull it off. It came off as a weak effort.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts