Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi does anyone know if it’s possible for google maps to show speed camera locations and if so how to set it up.
Thank you

·
Registered
148 Posts
I did a test drive in the Volvo XC 40 P8 and told the salesman the sign recognition in this car is as bad as in the PS2.
He said the sign recognition is not camera based, but based on Google maps. That was the reason for bad recognition. Not all signs are registered.
Not sure if he was pulling my leg, but that was what he said.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My BMW used camera only and was nearly faultless.
I’m happy the speed signs in the PS2 are displayed with a black backbround. The Volvo had white, and the flashing sign was a nuisance. In the PS2 I hardly noticed it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
In my experience, Google maps on Android auto (phone plugged in and Google maps sent to the cars screen) was correct most of the time
I was driving a XC60 t8 for the last couple of weeks whilst my PS2 was in the garage and that was correct most of the time, more so than the PS2. The PS2 is noticeably worse.

Just my observations.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The OP's question had nothing to do with the speed sign recognition...rather speed cameras.

It's not possible at the moment.

I don't think Google Maps on Android Auto / Automotive has the same speed camera functionality as the App version. I remember on Android Auto it shows speed cameras, but the app has the button where you can report mobile camera locations and view reports from other people - this is missing from the Auto/Automotive versions.

It might come with an update - but there might be some safety/driver distraction/regulatory reasons why there's a slight difference between the App/Android Auto/Android Automotive versions of Google Maps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The OP's question had nothing to do with the speed sign recognition...rather speed cameras.

It's not possible at the moment.

I don't think Google Maps on Android Auto / Automotive has the same speed camera functionality as the App version. I remember on Android Auto it shows speed cameras, but the app has the button where you can report mobile camera locations and view reports from other people - this is missing from the Auto/Automotive versions.

It might come with an update - but there might be some safety/driver distraction/regulatory reasons why there's a slight difference between the App/Android Auto/Android Automotive versions of Google Maps.
Good point on the original post! Apologies for the confusion!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hi does anyone know if it’s possible for google maps to show speed camera locations and if so how to set it up.
Thank you
Is it not the case in the UK that all speed cameras are warned using road signs so you see them in advance?

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
871 Posts
Is it not the case in the UK that all speed cameras are warned using road signs so you see them in advance?
These signs are almost everywhere so not very useful.

The fixed speed cameras are painted bright yellow though and are hard to miss!

·
Registered
31 Posts
The Speed cameras were visible on Google maps when I received my car (September) but these disappeared in one of the subsequent updates. They were shown as orange bubbles on the screen and dashboard map. Cannot work out if it was the car / infotainment update (November) or a Google Maps app update. Either way the cameras are still missing!

Apologies for the image quality - I had to zoom an old video to show the cameras

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know they were visible on my XC40 and the XC60 loan car prior to my P* So looks like a google issue.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The Speed cameras were visible on Google maps when I received my car (September) but these disappeared in one of the subsequent updates. They were shown as orange bubbles on the screen and dashboard map. Cannot work out if it was the car / infotainment update (November) or a Google Maps app update. Either way the cameras are still missing!

Apologies for the image quality - I had to zoom an old video to show the cameras

View attachment 3585
That is right. When I first took the car out in September I had alerts for speed cameras, including an audible alert. Yes, they did disappear after some map update.

Some countries, like France, ban this technology and go for the discreet camera to catch out. Hopefully, the only benefit I can see, now we are out of the EU, hopefully, speeding tickets won't catch up with us from France.

·
Registered
702 Posts
That is right. When I first took the car out in September I had alerts for speed cameras, including an audible alert. Yes, they did disappear after some map update.

Some countries, like France, ban this technology and go for the discreet camera to catch out. Hopefully, the only benefit I can see, now we are out of the EU, hopefully, speeding tickets won't catch up with us from France.
It used to be that you could be fined for having this in France - we always ensured it was switched off when travelling in France on our trusty TomTom, not sure what the position is now.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,877 Posts
Super dumb question - why are y'all not driving the speed limit? 🙂
In other words, what real life scenarios require alerting on speed cameras?
My thoughts exactly! If you don't speed, you won't get caught. Simples!

·
Registered
293 Posts
It used to be that you could be fined for having this in France - we always ensured it was switched off when travelling in France on our trusty TomTom, not sure what the position is now.
Still the case. Google does not provide speed camera information in google maps in France.

·
Registered
416 Posts
As an anecdote, highways in Sweden have so many goddarn speed cameras, you'd wish your car didn't alert on speed cameras so that you could enjoy one track of your favourite music without getting at least one speed camera alert in the middle.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Super dumb question - why are y'all not driving the speed limit? 🙂
In other words, what real life scenarios require alerting on speed cameras?
I don't believe the French drive the new speed limit, not since the limit was reduced three years ago to 80kph. Every time I set my speed to 80kph (using sat nav), I end up with a stream of French cars behind me.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,587 Posts
I don't believe the French drive the new speed limit, not since the limit was reduced three years ago to 80kph. Every time I set my speed to 80kph (using sat nav), I end up with a stream of French cars behind me.
And around here on the highways the posted limit is taken as a light suggestion of the minimum one should be going at

In this car it honestly takes more effort to drive the speed limit than to speed ~10-20mph over it given it's so easy to get up to speed, there's so little audible signal of speed, and the pace at which most other folks are going.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts