Polestar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

Registered
I know each country has a much different driving culture, but, as Polerad just said, in the U.S., the tradition, I think is pretty much +10 mph on the interstates and +5 mph on the back roads. I know I've passed the police doing that much over the speed limit, and they just let you go by.

OTOH, we don't normally have speed cameras in the U.S., but we do have radar, laser, air patrol... So it's a game over here.

If you happen to catch an officer in a bad mood, or if the officer just doesn't like your look (insert social justice problems here), the officer can pull you over and write the ticket for going anything over.

(sigh)

Registered
As an anecdote, highways in Sweden have so many goddarn speed cameras, you'd wish your car didn't alert on speed cameras so that you could enjoy one track of your favourite music without getting at least one speed camera alert in the middle.
You're choosing the wrong roads.

There are two major routes between gothenburg and my parents-in-law. One is quite a bit shorter than the other. The short one is littered with cameras, the longer one isn't.

For some reason the longer route is a shorter drive.

Registered
You can download TomToms AMIGO app on your phone. It's free and warns of speed cameras and other stuff. Since I don't have my car yet, I don't know if it's possible to install it in the car.

Registered
You can download TomToms AMIGO app on your phone. It's free and warns of speed cameras and other stuff. Since I don't have my car yet, I don't know if it's possible to install it in the car.
It is not. Google just opened up Android Auto (the phone app, not Automotive) to third party nav apps, and I think it's just recently gone to open beta, so I wouldn't count on nav apps in Android Automotive OS anytime soon.

Registered
Super dumb question - why did you buy a 408 Hp car? :)
In other words, what real life scenarios require 408 Hp?
The HP was just a nice side effect. My goal was to buy a safe, good looking, practical car with great winter driving capabilities in a mountainous terrain. Polestar 2 checked all the boxes.

Registered
Unfortunately, this feature is disabled in Germany for legal reasons.
The way of thinking here is that speed cameras should only be used on accident prone roads as a way to get to get drivers to slow down, not as money makers. We have road signs for them. Warning devices will help reduce the speed. So they are legal. Makes sense.

Laser/radar warning/jamming devices are not legal.

Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
I don鈥檛 recall ever seeing a camera that isn鈥檛 bright yellow (so impossible to miss) and that isn鈥檛 preceded by a sign to warn you about it that includes the speed limit.

Just two local ones (one in town, one rural) quickly found on Google Streetview.

I assumed this was the case across the U.K. but to be honest I haven鈥檛 been paying attention to them so wouldn鈥檛 notice if they were missing elsewhere!

Registered
I don鈥檛 recall ever seeing a camera that isn鈥檛 bright yellow (so impossible to miss) and that isn鈥檛 preceded by a sign to warn you about it that includes the speed limit.

Just two local ones (one in town, one rural) quickly found on Google Streetview.

I assumed this was the case across the U.K. but to be honest I haven鈥檛 been paying attention to them so wouldn鈥檛 notice if they were missing elsewhere!
View attachment 4232 View attachment 4233
The cameras in San Francisco are in sneaky dark green boxes that blend in with the trees. However, due to many lawsuits, the cameras have all been forced to be turned off 馃ぃ

Reactions: Joel S.

Administrator
sneaky dark green boxes that blend in with the trees.
Scroll down this page to see what we have to deal with over here. And warning devices and apps are unlawful. Go figure...

It starts making sense when you know that the money made from the speed cams goes to the local community which is also responsible for setting them up. Could also explain why most speed cams are not in front of schools but on open roads which tend to let you drive faster than allowed.

Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
Scroll down this page to see what we have to deal with over here. And warning devices and apps are unlawful. Go figure...

It starts making sense when you know that the money made from the speed cams goes to the local community which is also responsible for setting them up. Could also explain why most speed cams are not in front of schools but on open roads which tend to let you drive faster than allowed.
I drive a lot over there so know, fortunately not due to a ticket, how sneakily the French and German speed cameras are placed.

I was not aware that camera alerts were banned in Germany, I'm assuming it happened recently, good to know for next time I'm there, hopefully later this year.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts