Polestar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I got my studles winter tires delivered to my door today. For Norwegian customers the tire delivery were a bit delayed, but all information regarding this have been spotless. Information was given all the way, somebody called me to arrange delivery a few weeks ago, and the tires came as promised.

I have been driving around with this car for some weeks now and the performance pack rims are just amazing, and they keep growing on me. The kind pictures doesn't quite do justice, and they mostly outshine anything around. So I'm very exited that the winter tires also looks exatly the same (I knew but it's something about actually seeing it I guess). Seeing winter tires this bold is very rare. I just got ceramic coating on the car and summer rims (IGL Kenzo coating), so I guess I have to fix the winter rims also.

I did notice that the caps are not in swedish gold, and that is a little bit dissapointing. I wonder if I can get hold of gold caps anywhere. Will check with Polestar.

All tires are 245 / 40 R20. 72dB noise on the label.
As far as I can tell these are Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 T99XL, so thats what we get in Norway at least.

Premium Member
I did notice that the caps are not in swedish gold, and that is a little bit dissapointing. I wonder if I can get hold of gold caps anywhere. Will check with Polestar.
They'll have to have some of those caps available. I'm fully expecting to have a few nicked by passersby over the years.

Registered
Winter kits are out of stock in Belgium for the moment (3000鈧 - that means a bite more expensive than in US). I was thinking about changing only the tyres on the rims every winter, which would be less expensive?

Registered
Total for both rims and tires about 3000 USD so 1400 USD ish for rims alone then.
Thanks, that's actually not bad. The snow pkg is not listed at this time on the US site. I think I paid that or more some years ago for second set of V70R wheels.

Registered
Winter kits are out of stock in Belgium for the moment (3000鈧 - that means a bite more expensive than in US). I was thinking about changing only the tyres on the rims every winter, which would be less expensive?
I paid a local shop about $100 USD each season to swap all 4 tires on the same rims for my Frontier and balance them. I figured the wheel and mounted tire would be so heavy I'd spend more at the doctor if I had to load and unload them!

Registered
+The disadvantage is also that the successive balancing operations leave traces of glue on this type of rims.

Premium Member
Less expensive, yes, but hard on the rims and inconvenient. I used cheap rims for a winter wheel set in the past. Not sure if I'll pop for the good ones this time around.

Registered
I had bought MAK compatible winter rims for my XC90 and frankly the quality was inferior to the Volvo's. After 4 years the paint was cracking. In addition there was aerodynamic noise.

Premium Member
I had bought MAK compatible winter rims for my XC90 and frankly the quality was inferior to the Volvo's. After 4 years the paint was cracking. In addition there was aerodynamic noise.
Yeah... and I bent one of the cheap rims in a pothole and had to replace it. Maybe a good wheel would have been bent, too. 'Hard to know. I might just spring for the fancy rims for my winter wheel set this time around. I think the missus will agree if I point out it's a safety thing.

Registered
And grab a can of this and a handful of plain old black valve caps: 馃嚫馃嚜

(Tuscan Sun if you don't want to click the link; looks pretty close to official Swedish Gold to me)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts