Polestar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am growing increasingly frustrated with the (lack of) functionality of both Google Maps and ABRP to plan trips.

Google Maps disqualifies itself helping find chargers because it suggests a multitude of very low power chargers right next to fast chargers. It is just utterly useless. Also, many charging stations are just identified with a city name, and from the name you cannot distinguish the direction on the motorway they are at!

ABRP can suggest good charging opportunities, but there is a whole lot of randomness to the process, it seems incapable of keeping settings and you must check/adjust for each plan. I don't like the route guidance so I want to transfer to Google Maps for driving. However when you share with Google Maps, it shares the coordinates, not the charger. When you then go on Google Maps the actual chargers will show close to the coordinates, but you cannot select it as the destination from the screen (you can on your phone and on a desktop, but not in the car). Driving to the coordinates rather than the charger, you do not have life availability info. If as an alternative you want to find the charger on Google Maps by the name given by ABRP, mostly you are out of luck, Google cannot find it that way. Even if it does, beware of the side of the road trap, I have been sent on a 40 km detour that way.

So I started to create a list of EV chargers I plan to use, found with ABRP, in a dedicated list on Google Maps. Out of luck, a self created list is not shared with the car (shares between phone and desktop, but not with the car). So I moved them all to the pre-defined 'want to go' list and added a note with the name used in ABRP and the side of the road the charger is at. So am I good to go? No, out of luck again, the note is not visible in the car (I do get a list of available incompatible connectors though, how f*** useful is that?).

Reactions: Rsf and julianm

·
Registered
333 Posts
I am growing increasingly frustrated with the (lack of) functionality of both Google Maps and ABRP to plan trips.

Google Maps disqualifies itself helping find chargers because it suggests a multitude of very low power chargers right next to fast chargers. It is just utterly useless. Also, many charging stations are just identified with a city name, and from the name you cannot distinguish the direction on the motorway they are at!

ABRP can suggest good charging opportunities, but there is a whole lot of randomness to the process, it seems incapable of keeping settings and you must check/adjust for each plan. I don't like the route guidance so I want to transfer to Google Maps for driving. However when you share with Google Maps, it shares the coordinates, not the charger. When you then go on Google Maps the actual chargers will show close to the coordinates, but you cannot select it as the destination from the screen (you can on your phone and on a desktop, but not in the car). Driving to the coordinates rather than the charger, you do not have life availability info. If as an alternative you want to find the charger on Google Maps by the name given by ABRP, mostly you are out of luck, Google cannot find it that way. Even if it does, beware of the side of the road trap, I have been sent on a 40 km detour that way.

So I started to create a list of EV chargers I plan to use, found with ABRP, in a dedicated list on Google Maps. Out of luck, a self created list is not shared with the car (shares between phone and desktop, but not with the car). So I moved them all to the pre-defined 'want to go' list and added a note with the name used in ABRP and the side of the road the charger is at. So am I good to go? No, out of luck again, the note is not visible in the car (I do get a list of available incompatible connectors though, how f*** useful is that?).
Have you tried the WattsUp app? Gives a great overview of chargers on your route with number of units, speed, availability etc. I use it to pick a charger then navigate to it in Google Maps.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't see that app in the Google app store.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Don't see that app in the Google app store.
Its in Google.... Just not for Android Automotive if that's what you mean.

I tend to plan well ahead on long trips, and have all the places saved on google maps.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,878 Posts
For me, I identify chargers via Zap Map, then tell Google to route me there, or use the route finding bit in Zap Map to send things to Google Maps and then pick it up again in the car. ABRP is a waste of time IMHO, as is Google Maps because of its love of low-power chargers.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,588 Posts
For me, I identify chargers via Zap Map, then tell Google to route me there, or use the route finding bit in Zap Map to send things to Google Maps and then pick it up again in the car. ABRP is a waste of time IMHO, as is Google Maps because of its love of low-power chargers.
I do the same but with the ABRP phone app or website. Its suggestions aren’t as useless around here.

The car apps for Google maps and ABRP are inexplicably pretty useless for planning things out

·
Registered
Stock P*2 MDNT VIN: 011***
169 Posts
In the US at least, tap the stations Google suggests and then tap again and it’ll show you what’s available. This worked good for me. What it didn’t do I’d tell me if a charger had melted from the heat wave. Two had.

·
Registered
P2 - Magnesium - Charcoal - PP - tow hook
252 Posts
In Europe, I would take a look at the PUMP application, very (too) simple, but with live data.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Totally agree, I've put in a request to google maps to be able to select the preferred charge suppliers into the Android Automotive maps. TBH it should be there by default as this is essential for planning a route. The Charge options maps give by default are questionable at best and downright useless at worst (7 hours slow charging half way through a route should not even be shown). ditto the "filter" which basically says to show compatible plugs... You know what car this is, don't even bother to show me the tesla or CHADEMO plugs!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Agree with everyone here.

Google maps is frankly bizarre on Android Automotive. It seems almost deliberately bad which obviously can't be the case but I can't think of any other reason why you can't see your named saved favourites etc.

And the charging options are indeed ridiculous. Literally nobody is choosing to charge at 7kw for 6 hours instead of 30 minutes at 150kw.

To be honest almost everything bad about the car is related to the choice to go Android Automotive. I'm not sure what nonsense Google put on their slides to convince them but it's nowhere even approaching being good enough.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I think it forces you charge around 20% and finds the closest chargers around that point. The other problem is googles descriptions of charging speeds ... Slow, Medium, and Fast .... but you need to click the charge point to see what the KW actually is. They seem in no rush to address these issues either which also isn't great ... at least ABRP is doing monthly updates to make it better.

Reactions: AngloDude

·
Registered
48 Posts
My car seems to suggest fast chargers along the route quite well, but my grief is with the info on how much SoC I need before continuing disappears when I reach a charging point. It deletes the waypoint and shows next point instead and "continue driving" button. This leaves me with no clue how many % to charge to, and being 2.5 hours since I last looked at the route plan and how much it needed to charge at a stop, I can't possibly be ment to remember it...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts