Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hotel had a Rolec charger which worked with a LEAF (using adapter) but unable to get beyond initialising with my Polestar supplied cable. Any thoughts as to what I might have been doing wrong?

·
Super Moderator
707 Posts
I would have thought it should work. Try unplugging everything and turning the car off and leaving it for a few minutes. Then get in and turn the car on, make sure the charging limit is set to full. Plug the cable into its adaptor and make sure it's really firm. Plug the cable into the Rolec charger really firmly. Then finally plug the cable into the car, pushing it firmly home, and hold it for about 30 seconds while they talk to each other and hopefully start charging. If that doesn't work then I suspect you're out of luck :(.

·
Super Moderator
707 Posts
Also note that if the Rolec charger is a single phase, 7kW type, then you won't get more than about 3kW (16A) with the supplied Polestar cable as each phase is only rated to 16A. It should safely negotiate this maximum in any case, but you could try reducing the charge limit on the infotainment screen initially to something like 6A to see if it starts charging, and then increase it up to (say) 13A or 16A?

·
Registered
33 Posts
My car is due into the garage for charging issues. Each time on AC it takes three or four (or eight) attempts. I have tried all of the suggestions, hold the connector in during handshake, lift it to take pressure of if the cable is heavy (DC cables are heavy but no issues with DC charging and no cable support needed). Last experiment i did was with the Polestar supplied 3 pin charger. It took 6 minutes and four attempts for the car and the charger to talk. I did nothing but sit back and watch (video available if you are really bored). As documented elsewhere on this forum this is the same no matter what the source, POD Point, Chargemaster, Ecotricity AC, Polar etc etc.
After it has been in I will let you all know what the garage claims is the problem.

·
Super Moderator
707 Posts
Disappointing - sounds like either a dodgy cable or a dodgy on-board a.c. charger then :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Disappointing - sounds like either a dodgy cable or a dodgy on-board a.c. charger then :(
I have never had it NOT charge, its just a pain to get going. I had an i3 for three years so i do know how to charge a car. Perversely, the i3 always had issues with DC charging at Ecotriciy points.I am hoping the software upgrade will fix the issue. good job we are getting an extra years warranty :)

·
Registered
Void Polestar 2 2020
46 Posts
My car takes 2 minutes to initiate charging from commercial ac chargers (where other cars take seconds). It’s fine with my domestic chargemaster charger. I think it’s a “feature”

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
My car takes 2 minutes to initiate charging from commercial ac chargers (where other cars take seconds). It’s fine with my domestic chargemaster charger. I think it’s a “feature”
The car knows we are not in safe times, so is keeping a social distance with new machines, by taking its to get a good firm handshake and then washing its connection for 20seconds!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Not had an issue with is starting charging on an AC charger within 10 seconds. The issue I have it stops 15 minutes later. Problems authorising the charge with PodPoint

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No joy with all your suggestions.. it not tried the crystals yet. I have yet to try on another 7 kw ac .. so will let you know. No problems otherwise 🙂

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Success, finally, on a Polar 7kW but as expected only charging at 4-5 mph using the Polestar supplied cable. Tried another Polar and first time just got red error in the car which freaked me out and trying it again after above success could even open the unit door to access the charger! certainly living more on the edge with an EV. (50kW chargers no problem). Onwards and upwards.

·
Super Moderator
707 Posts
Definitely a duff cable I reckon. If you're anywhere near the Warwick area, you're welcome to borrow one of our cables to try instead?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Not had an issue with is starting charging on an AC charger within 10 seconds. The issue I have it stops 15 minutes later. Problems authorising the charge with PodPoint
PodPoint without any problems for me.. very fast handshake, painfree charging

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyone had any problems with a purchased 32A cable ?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I'm going to be testing all my cables soon, with at least the 7kw or 11kw (supplied) being tested this weekend - just need to find a local charger and pick on to test on.

My Tethered Andersen A2 works perfectly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have no problems with my granny 3 pin or Wallbox. Just out and about. Be interested to hear when you check your cables. Thanks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts