Polestar Forum banner
81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
In our V90cc with the Bowers & Wilkins system it makes the sound feel like you're listening to the music being played specifically for you, in that space. The the sound surrounds you, but in a realistic way, where sound, like vocals, comes front front center, but individual instrument sounds can travel and reverb from different spaces around, just like it would if you were sitting listening to a the music live. In fact, I usually don't like recordings of live concerts, but in that car, if you turn it on and crank it up, and close your eyes, you could absolutely be fooled into thinking you were sitting on the concert floor the way you can hear the crowd sounds distinctly split to your left, right and rear. It's awesome. And it works great for rock, EDM, and classical (what's in our usual rotation).

Now, on the Polestar 2....

I have no idea what's going on, because turning on the surround function just absolutely destroys the sound. There's clearly an issue with it splitting channels and being able to make use of the rear speakers properly.
I think PS2 audio could be greatly improved if they did one thing:
•Give more balance to the rear speakers relative to the front.

I'm not sure if that's possible given their size and location, but it would help to create an enveloping, immersive sound. (And we would need a fader to control it.)

·
Registered
203 Posts
I listen to a lot of Cantopop from the 90's and early 2000's. That is probably not the genre people here will listen to.

If I test systems, some of my favorites are
  • Hotel California from the MTV Unplugged version (natural bass and good soundstaging)
  • Angel by Sarah McLachlan (the intro is low and haunting)
  • Don't Stop the Music by Rihanna (just dynamic beats)
  • You Raise Me Up by Josh Groban (dynamic range of his voice)
  • Luther Vandross “Dance With My Father” (smooth and low)
  • Rich Girl by Gwen Stefani (the harshness of the highs)

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2 Two Motor
33 Posts
If I test systems, some of my favorites are
  • Hotel California from the MTV Unplugged version (natural bass and good soundstaging)
  • Angel by Sarah McLachlan (the intro is low and haunting)
  • Don't Stop the Music by Rihanna (just dynamic beats)
  • You Raise Me Up by Josh Groban (dynamic range of his voice)
  • Luther Vandross “Dance With My Father” (smooth and low)
  • Rich Girl by Gwen Stefani (the harshness of the highs)
Ill have to try some of those, thanks!

·
Registered
680 Posts
What seems to be the most under utilized speakers are the two full range speakers in the back. I'll have to play around with the sound settings, but I don't know that much sound comes from them at all.

Automotive design Grey Personal luxury car Tints and shades Automotive exterior

I'm curious if they're similar to what's in the back headliner of V90s (top is HK, bottom is B&W):

Camera lens Automotive lighting Camera accessory Grey Audio equipment

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 · (Edited)
Here’s a great track for assessing the clarity of the PS system:
Moon River
Bill Frisell, Dave Holland, and Elvin Jones

The track has a lot of space and openness. I listen to plenty of heavier stuff as well, but this really convinced me it’s a solid system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Some really good and valid pints here. However the biggest factor to consider is the quality of the source. I recently moved from Spotify to Tidal and the difference it made to the P2 sound quality was massive. Top end sound was far more crisp, compression disappeared and instruments in music suddenly became separated and much clearer.

·
Registered
108 Posts
There is always better quality but the convenience of Spotify is just there. And when having it on the best quality playback it can be surprisingly good. The source of the tracks does play a role as well.

These are some very good quality recordings; I bet they sound even better from tidal. Not what I normally listen to, but good recordings to test any system.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
There is always better quality but the convenience of Spotify is just there. And when having it on the best quality playback it can be surprisingly good. The source of the tracks does play a role as well. These are some very good quality recordings; I bet they sound even better from tidal.

Agree! I really like the stereo system and probably wouldn't have noticed anything to tweak were it not for the audiophiles on here saying "but it could be better!"

Because of this thread, I got a Tidal subscription. While I like it, I'm not sure the audio quality is so different that I really notice. And actually Spotify functions better for me in terms of searching, suggestions, and so on.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think PS2 audio could be greatly improved if they did one thing:
•Give more balance to the rear speakers relative to the front.

I'm not sure if that's possible given their size and location, but it would help to create an enveloping, immersive sound. (And we would need a fader to control it.)
Totally agree this is why I complained in the first place the sound is too Hollow at the back and too front heavy.
Just in case people aren't aware of the system setup.
View attachment 10582
May be they will tweak the audio with a future update, thanks for this i will check if something is blocking my speakers.

·
Registered
2022 Polestar 2, Midnight Blue, Charcoal Gray, Pilot, Plus, 19" wheels
101 Posts
Anyone who has had the misfortune of having to disconnect their TCAM battery has seen the "full range drivers" in the C-pillars and knows they are TINY. They are simple, round speakers,

·
Registered
103 Posts
I will note that I've not played with Tidal yet... but has everyone here gone into their Spotify settings and made sure they're forcing high quality streaming? It made a huge difference for me (defaulted to "standard"). After I did that, I went to the settings and cleared the app cache and data then set Spotify up again to make sure it didn't have any cached standard-quality downloads. I have found the sound quality to be greatly improved.

Same with YouTube music.

For my testing though I have been using AudioWagon... which I've found to be a bit buggy but has GREAT sounding playback.

·
Super Moderator
1,881 Posts
Anyone who has had the misfortune of having to disconnect their TCAM battery has seen the "full range drivers" in the C-pillars and knows they are TINY. They are simple, round speakers,
I don't think they're inferring anything exciting with the term full-range other than meaning there's not a separate tweeter.

That marketing stuff above doesn't actually make sense anyway.

Big banner saying 600W, then they list 1360W of speakers...

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Dual Motor Launch Edition 2021 - Void
706 Posts
Personally, I think this is a really good track to check your setup:

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Dual Motor, plus & pilot, midnight & towbar
252 Posts
I had a bit of to and fro with Tidal Support this week, over issues with the auto resume functionality.

Nothing resolved, however they did say that a revamp of the app is being worked on. Will throw out an update if I hear anything else.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
I had a bit of to and fro with Tidal Support this week, over issues with the auto resume functionality.

Nothing resolved, however they did say that a revamp of the app is being worked on. Will throw out an update if I hear anything else.
Yeah, unlike Spotify, Tidal stops the track if I do almost anything in the car.

I like thatwith Spotify I can get out of the car and when I get back in, it keeps playing the same track.

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Dual Motor, plus & pilot, midnight & towbar
252 Posts
Yeah, unlike Spotify, Tidal stops the track if I do almost anything in the car.

I like thatwith Spotify I can get out of the car and when I get back in, it keeps playing the same track.
Tidal will sometimes/usually pick up the track and resume, it takes a long time though, and isn't always successful... feels to me as though it keeps an index but loses the cache, so you need to wait for music files, album covers etc to download again.

Anyway, passed back to them, let's see what they do.

·
Registered
2022 AWD Midnight w/ Pilot & Plus. Nappa Leather. X-Ice 19" for winter
43 Posts
Big banner saying 600W, then they list 1360W of speakers...
Speakers have wattage ratings - so you can buy a sub that handles 1000W but power it with only 700W. I suspect the 600W rating is the amp they're using. The speaker wattages are the handling of each speaker.

My intention with the sound system is grab my UMIK-1 microphone (calibrated mic) and measure the system's response curve. From that, it should be easier to change the EQ to aim for something of a flatter response.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
My intention with the sound system is grab my UMIK-1 microphone (calibrated mic) and measure the system's response curve. From that, it should be easier to change the EQ to aim for something of a flatter response.
Please post your findings!

81 - 100 of 104 Posts