Polestar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was greeted with a hit and run. With the wheel curbed for parking, someone ran into the tire and snapped the tie rod off. Dealer suggesting a need to replace steering rack, but looks and sounds like overkill. Does anyone have a tie rod story?
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Automotive design

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car

·
Registered
Magnesium/Nappa/LRDM/Full Monty - Delivery Late November 2022
347 Posts
I was greeted with a hit and run. With the wheel curbed for parking, someone ran into the tire and snapped the tie rod off. Dealer suggesting a need to replace steering rack, but looks and sounds like overkill. Does anyone have a tie rod story?
View attachment 17606

View attachment 17607
Different situation, different car (Tesla Model S) ... what the dealer / crash-repairer is probably concerned about is teh transfer of the force that snapped teh tie rod back into the steering rack. They will / should also look at the driveline into the front motor.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The thinness of the tie rod connection was concerning, not much larger than a pencil of material to shear, so seems like designed to shear before additional damage. Also given the ease of the tie rod change, I’d rather avoid unnecessary disassembly and time.

Hopefully that tie rod is strong enough to take an impact from rock or pothole while driving and not send you off a cliff.

update: $850 🤯 (tie rod only & alignment check)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts