Polestar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the summary position seems to be that the P2 is not completely out of the park when compared to other EVs (excusing the e-Tron). But what he was stumped on was the really unpredictable and weird charging curve (oh and the nowhere near 150kwh charging advertised ). He accepts it was -7c but he did spend a chunk of time yo-yo driving beforehand. 10%-80% in 46 mins.

It feels as if at some point P* need to make some public commentary on the 150kwh charging or real world lack of...

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
1,994 Posts
It is a strange charging curve but you can get 150kW (not kWh, that's battery capacity/usage) as shown in another post just now. It's all down to battery temperature.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a strange charging curve but you can get 150kW (not kWh, that's battery capacity/usage) as shown in another post just now. It's all down to battery temperature.
Ah sorry, thank you for the correction... I am not sure I have seen many (if any) getting 150kW to be fair?

·
Registered
21 Posts
So the summary position seems to be that the P2 is not completely out of the park when compared to other EVs (excusing the e-Tron). But what he was stumped on was the really unpredictable and weird charging curve (oh and the nowhere near 150kwh charging advertised ). He accepts it was -7c but he did spend a chunk of time yo-yo driving beforehand. 10%-80% in 46 mins.

It feels as if at some point P* need to make some public commentary on the 150kwh charging or real world lack of...

I did read an interesting comment that a P* owner charging on a 50 or 150kw charger when guided to by google maps charged quicker than when just turned up on route. The thought was that the system knew where it was going and started to pre-heat the battery to accept the charge.
sounds plausible and logical, anyone know this is correct?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I've only heard rumours of this but never actually seen any real proof at all, and if anything the videos online and others' experience on here indicates that unfortunately it's just wishful thinking. It's pretty much completely governed by the temperature of the battery and its state of charge.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I did read an interesting comment that a P* owner charging on a 50 or 150kw charger when guided to by google maps charged quicker than when just turned up on route. The thought was that the system knew where it was going and started to pre-heat the battery to accept the charge.
sounds plausible and logical, anyone know this is correct?
I always put the charger as the destination and rarely see anywhere near the peak output of the charger,

I am on the November software version though so perhaps a secret feature of the latest update

·
Registered
780 Posts
The December update has 'incremental charging improvements' in the release notes and they seem to show. Posted a full charging cycle with 147kW peak in one of the range threads about a week ago.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Before the latest update, the max speed I'd seen was 133kw. Now we have people at 149.2kwh ... however the biggest difference I saw was the cold charging, where it now seems the car will heat the battery more. Doesn't really affect me too much, but good to know for the people that live in colder climates.

Range increase it's still to be really tested 100%. It seems some people are saying more battery was unlocked, while others are saying efficiency is a fraction better. Even a little fraction of both would help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wait until the temperature warms up properly, 20c+ will see the range and charging speed up to best case.
Drawing conclusions in minus 7 is good for an idea of best in winter but shouldn’t be claimed as OMG Polestar lied to us about charging speed :p

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Absolutely, couldn't agree more, and I was never suggesting that and I don't think Kris Rifa was, but it was definitely interesting for me

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
To be fair, they advertised it as having a maximum 150kW charging speed, with major caveats around the battery temperature, ambient temperature and state of charge. Charging speed is pretty much in the same league as range really - in perfect conditions you get the best results, and anything away from that will always be a compromise.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts