Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

· Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve had the car for over a year now and have a growing issue with neck pain. I’ve isolated the issue to be related to the way in which the Polestar headrests push my head a bit forward, which creates tension in my neck(!). I’ve tried every seat adjustment, but the only thing that has cured it is testing with the headrest reversed. I have also found some Volvo drivers reporting similar issues.

Reversing the restraints is clearly not a safe solution.

Does anyone know if there are any other options - I’m thinking Volvo or aftermarket…?

Thanks.

· Registered
2022 SR, SM, Pilot, Plus, Void.
39 Posts
We have exactly the same issue. My wife keeps banging her head on the headrest when in the passenger seat (and I do try to avoid hard acceleration), to such a degree that we have had to use an extra memory foam back cushion, which of course negates the benefit of the heated seat. We're going to try raising the headrest and see how it goes. I love my P2 but I think this is a design flaw. If a good upholsterer sold a quality replacement headrest, I think they'd make a lot of money.

· Registered
4,729 Posts
I initially had something similar I think. Solved it by tilting the back a bit so the headrest itself was more upright and then pushed the lumbar support out. That supported my lower back, head and shoulder areas overall the best.

In case body type is an issue, have you tried gaining a not insignificant amount of holiday flab?

· Registered
2,327 Posts
Maybe try reclining the seat back just a bit. That tends to put the headrest in a better position if you find it is too far forward. Something to try anyway. I have to do that just to get that bit of extra legroom with the bottom of the seat back offset increased with the recline - I can scoot back a bit more in the seat. I also tilt the seat base back some as well. Works for me as I'm "big and tall" and has the benefit of putting the headrest is a better spot.

· Registered
Polestar 2 Dual Motor Launch Edition 2021 - Void
751 Posts
I had this in my test drive, where I was like: well, this headrest is uncomfortable, it's way too far forward.

But then I got my car and setup my seating position and never had this issue again. Which is probably all related to just reclining the back just a little (as suggested by @polerad and @Mick), with the adjustable lumbar support I feel like I'm still sitting pretty straight, but headrest is comfortable.

· Registered
111 Posts
I had this in my test drive, where I was like: well, this headrest is uncomfortable, it's way too far forward.

But then I got my car and setup my seating position and never had this issue again. Which is probably all related to just reclining the back just a little (as suggested by @polerad and @Mick), with the adjustable lumbar support I feel like I'm still sitting pretty straight, but headrest is comfortable.
I am doing the same to avoid it pushing my head.. Lower part goes fwd and back reclined a bit more.. I have also raised the seat to suit my height. Will try moving it up for added comfort.

· Registered
111 Posts
So I’ve had the car for over a year now and have a growing issue with neck pain. I’ve isolated the issue to be related to the way in which the Polestar headrests push my head a bit forward, which creates tension in my neck(!). I’ve tried every seat adjustment, but the only thing that has cured it is testing with the headrest reversed. I have also found some Volvo drivers reporting similar issues.

Reversing the restraints is clearly not a safe solution.

Does anyone know if there are any other options - I’m thinking Volvo or aftermarket…?

Thanks.
Curious question how do you reverse it, I mean how do you take out the headrest seems I couldn't find a lever or release button/buttons.

· Registered
469 Posts
Curious question how do you reverse it, I mean how do you take out the headrest seems I couldn't find a lever or release button/buttons.
When the headrest is right at the bottom you have to feel under the headrest and there is a standard adjustment, the same as the rear: Pure progressive performance | Polestar
I remember thinking the headrests were fixed as they looked very much like they wouldn't move, but they do.

· Registered
2021 Polestar 2 - Dual Motor, Plus Pack, 19”, Void, Slate WeaveTech
90 Posts
When the headrest is right at the bottom you have to feel under the headrest and there is a standard adjustment, the same as the rear: Pure progressive performance | Polestar
I remember thinking the headrests were fixed as they looked very much like they wouldn't move, but they do.
My wife hates riding in my PS2 because of the headrest. I thought they were fixed. Thanks for this information, I will try adjusting her seat today.

· Registered
111 Posts
Thanks but I am talking about removing headrest. I am aware of adjustment part.

· Registered
10,854 Posts
This is a standard Volvo headrest implementation, and is designed for safety, if not ultimate comfort. The headrest is canted forward slightly to help prevent whiplash in a rear-end collision. Turning it around would be a really bad idea. Headrests have been a required safety feature in cars for a couple of decades now. If you look at some of the old designs they were basically aesthetic junk. The Volvo headrests are designed to actually save your neck/life.

· Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks but I am talking about removing headrest. I am aware of adjustment part.
Easily done, you need a flat tool like a screwdriver to push on a clip at the base of the post, whilst pressing the other clip on the other post. Recline seat to create space to remove - but don’t drive with it removed!

· Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is a standard Volvo headrest implementation, and is designed for safety, if not ultimate comfort. The headrest is canted forward slightly to help prevent whiplash in a rear-end collision. Turning it around would be a really bad idea. Headrests have been a required safety feature in cars for a couple of decades now. If you look at some of the old designs they were basically aesthetic junk. The Volvo headrests are designed to actually save your neck/life.
Yes, of course. My problem is that the current set-up is causing me a lot of discomfort. I’m just trying alternatives.

· Registered
Dual motor - Plus & Pilot
235 Posts
It would be really interesting to see a picture of the driving position when headrest push drivers head forward. I can’t think of any position other than one where the backrest is fully upright and the driver is way too close to the steering wheel.

· Registered
10,854 Posts
Yes, of course. My problem is that the current set-up is causing me a lot of discomfort. I’m just trying alternatives.
My contention is that even reversing it is taking away a key safety feature. I have to say that the headrests have never been an issue for me and I'm fairly tall. If you need more comfort have you tried a neck pillow?

· Registered
2022 SR, SM, Pilot, Plus, Void.
39 Posts
My contention is that even reversing it is taking away a key safety feature. I have to say that the headrests have never been an issue for me and I'm fairly tall. If you need more comfort have you tried a neck pillow?
I completely agree that headrests are a critical safety component. One of the reasons I bought a P2 was because of the unrivalled design philosophy Volvo have maintained for decades. However the S90 I owned for three years prior and the two S80s owned prior to that (and the C70 T5 my wife currently owns) have no such issue with headrest design configuration. Oh, and we are both hobbits in comparison with the average person :)

· Registered
111 Posts
Easily done, you need a flat tool like a screwdriver to push on a clip at the base of the post, whilst pressing the other clip on the other post. Recline seat to create space to remove - but don’t drive with it removed!
Ofcourse won't drive it removed but knowing how to remove may help replacing it with another aftermarket piece so good to know how to remove. Sorry to ask but what are we pressing with screwdriver and in what direction down towards earth or inwards towards the center of headrest?

· Registered
10,854 Posts
I just got out of the car, and I can't see how the headrest is an issue for anyone. The only way it gets close to my head while driving is if I put the seat totally upright in a practically vertical position. Otherwise the natural driving position has the seat hitting me about mid-back and then slowly tapering away. I don't know what you guys are doing, but something is out of wack. And the idea that you might replace it with another headrest is ludicrous. The entire Volvo seat design not only encompasses the headrest, but also the entire WIPS safety system of how the seat moves along with the headrest to protect you in an accident. You would be negating all of that.

· Registered
111 Posts
I just got out of the car, and I can't see how the headrest is an issue for anyone. The only way it gets close to my head while driving is if I put the seat totally upright in a practically vertical position. Otherwise the natural driving position has the seat hitting me about mid-back and then slowly tapering away. I don't know what you guys are doing, but something is out of wack. And the idea that you might replace it with another headrest is ludicrous. The entire Volvo seat design not only encompasses the headrest, but also the entire WIPS safety system of how the seat moves along with the headrest to protect you in an accident. You would be negating all of that.
Not sure but plenty of other cars have similar or higher scores than Volvo in safety. We have come a long way from 50 and 60s when Volvo developed 3 point safety seat belt. It's great that ppl have such great feeling for Volvo safety however if everyday driving is pain in the **** then that will cause accident due to discomfort. Not saying what you are saying is wrong but I refuse to believe that there can't be better design to seat headrest at the same current safety level or to the useless center console which even today with current polestar i can redesign and can fit in 1/4th the space and have room for 4 cup holders not just 2. It is bad design when it is. And it's ok to call it out so we can find solution I am exploring one. Yes it does bother my head even in reclined position of back it depends on your sitting style while driving.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts