Polestar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi 8P2CN. Good to have a member from China!
Is the Polestar 2 selling well over there?
Was buying the car an easy process?
Please tell us about how Polestar is managing it's home market.
Hi Dave! Happy to be here. Gladly to introduce you some basic information I know.

I first know about the brand when I stambled into an artistic shopping mall in my city, and the car were eye-catching. It was around summer in 2019, I put down the deposit, by the time I was the 3rd one in my city, and the 8th person who paid deposit. I paid through the polestar app. The app is basically a "payment" app, you can design your car, pay desposit, pay in full, buy insurance, reserve service and search for charging station on it, in another word, not very useful when you become an actual owner, but pretty easy for the car buying process. So I only visited the showroom twice and went to one test drive and tried Polestar 1 and Polestar 2. It was really fun, I really immediately fell in love with the power and the control. Sales promised delivery in May at first, but then it was delay to June, and I eventually had my car in early August. Car delivery were OK, they prepared good Champaine and flowers and hand them to you in front of the car, then hand and a letter from Chinese Polestar CEO Gao, Hong. Take a picture then a short walkthrough of the vehicle then you can have it your way:giggle:

There were hardly any ads on TV, internet or social media in 2019, but ever since March 2020 some prototype cars were ready, they invited literally EVERY automotive KOL and bloggers and also the president of GEELY to test drive, so many Polestar videos were published but not a lot of feedbacks. Most people had their eyes fixed on Tesla model 3. Then every social media started to have ads about polestar 2 even national TV more and more people started to notice and Polestar held a public briefing with an TV actor call Qin, Hao. But since Volvo is not much preferred as BBA (Benz, BMW, Audi) in China, and there are A LOT of new and rising EV brands, no one really expected the car to sell that well. Polestar promised lower configured models early 2021 but by the time they start to sell, a lot more competitors would appear on the market and I doubt Polestar can do much better than now.

We have over 100 owners and cars started delivery since late July. Not a lot of people knew about the car through ads but most visited the showroom. Apparently they spent millions of dollars on building just a few showrooms. I mean they do look very slick and minimalistic, but they are a bit too "sophisticated" for most EV buys. I heard from my sales rep that they have people ordering every day, and the number of owners are growing slowly but steadily. Since the automotive show held in Beijing on October 1st, more people are paying attention to Polestar, but then the recall thing happened... Can't say polestar are much of a equivalent competitor to model 3 since model 3 would sale over a thousand in a month.

It was definitely pictured as a "fun" car to drive, and a few people eat it up (including me), but most prospective EV buyers critized the car for not very practical comparing to model 3 and other China based EV brands. Especially polestar 2 is more expensive than most EVs for over $28k. Other Chinese brands like BYD and NIO even Shanghai-made Tesla are generally more affordable or cost-effective. As Shanghai-made Tesla constantly dropping price (now model 3 is below $35k, 250,000 Yuan, while Polestar 2 sells at $64k, 450000 Yuan). So the high price point stopped a lot of people from buying as their families first car, and now only a few "bourgeoisie" who doesn't need a more roomy car or already has a family-use car, could buy. In September Thomas Ingenlath came to China and did an owner gathering event and also showed Precept, They apparently put a lot of attention to Chinese market, but I believe they still has a long way to go for localization. Chinese consumers still need some time to take in the Nordic design.

Oh and customer service-wise I doubt its any better than anywhere. I read on the thread about the terrible customer service in UK. Well, Polestar China def has good attitude, but they are often powerless in helping the owners. The car is flawed in many ways, and it takes time to fix. From what I know the whole company has merely 100 people and they outsourced several department. its not a good sign for a start up, but they do have financial backings from Volvo and Geely, so who knows.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Thanks. It is very interesting for me (and probably all of us) to hear about your experiences. Mostly seems similar but without the bottle & flowers on handover!!! You may be asked lots of questions by others now!
I was very impressed with a BYD EV I was driven in when I visited Shanghai in 2018.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello from the UK!

Great to hear your experience in China. I've had mine in the UK for 1 week now and the can is fantastic. I wish I had also received champagne and flowers with the delivery!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Welcome @8P2CN !
It is worrying if they only have 100 employees, but explains a lot!
I think Chinese cars will make a big impact in Europe in the next 12-24 months. I have been looking at the very limited online information about the Xpeng 7 with interest....!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome @8P2CN !
It is worrying if they only have 100 employees, but explains a lot!
I think Chinese cars will make a big impact in Europe in the next 12-24 months. I have been looking at the very limited online information about the Xpeng 7 with interest....!
Ha, since you are aware of Xpeng, I can tell you I have more than 5 people asked me if my Polestar 2 is a Xpeng. Their logo looks very much alike!
I don't know if Xpeng has a plan for Europe market. if so, they do have some good features. I have been looking at Xpeng 7 too. It does has a bigger battery. But driving-wise it's more like Model 3. And the decor is very "plasticy". The greatest stand out it has for me is that Xpeng 7 has a crazy big air conditioning haha.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. It is very interesting for me (and probably all of us) to hear about your experiences. Mostly seems similar but without the bottle & flowers on handover!!! You may be asked lots of questions by others now!
I was very impressed with a BYD EV I was driven in when I visited Shanghai in 2018.
Haha BYD now do makes some good cars, but I don't know if you notice they do have weird Engish written on the back. Their newest slogan is "build your dream". I see a ton of cars going around with that on their trunk haha.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello from the UK!

Great to hear your experience in China. I've had mine in the UK for 1 week now and the can is fantastic. I wish I had also received champagne and flowers with the delivery!
Thank you! Too bad they don't do that in UK, I've been saving mine since I am not a drinker. Maybe if we ever have a chance to meet we can share mine!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts