Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New order story

I Was casually surfing one morning last week and surprised to see my used VW eGolf holding and increasing value since I got it 18 months ago. Got me thinking to capitalize on it.

I had been following the VW iD4 launch dreaming of a cheap EV to drive to Windsor non stop. This is my minimum litmus test for an EV. The ID4 infotainment UI reviews turned me off that car. The cost of the Q4etron solved those interior issues but was a little rich and out of budget. The BMW i4 was up there also. Tesla has been increasing quickly the past year too.

Suddenly I see the SM P2 selling price and went “wow!” Checked out the configuration and I said this may work out (range and price). I always knew the P2 was nicer inside and out over a Tesla. FWD makes it usable in the winter vs RWD. The Android auto and price were a turn off at launch but suddenly the P2 was a no brainer in the SM configuration.

Add in the value of my gas car which also was increasing in value and the thought of getting a newer EV with real range over the eGolf was appealing.

Booked a home test drive for the weekend. Complete fail!!!!! Stood up. Almost a deal breaker. My partner wasn’t thrilled changing our schedule for the day and being left waiting.

I booked a test directly with the dealer instead. Apparently the home test drive is run by a different team and they dropped the ball badly.
In the few days waiting for the test drive, I researched like mad, crunched and recrunched numbers. My main concern was foolishly spending money when I had two paid off cars. I already had a good car combo. Not to bore everyone with numbers, it was spending more money but not as much as it appears. it is safe to assume the premium on used cars will disappear in the next four years. Returning my two cars to their historical values for their age and mileage. Especially the eGolf (will be 8 years old then). For me to capitalize on increased values on the cars I own and recent price drop for the PS2 I should pull the trigger now. The PS2 will climb with inflation. If Tesla has to raise prices PS cannot be far behind.Self justification analysis is done.
Test drive was really to go over details in person. Traffic was brutal but I got a good enough feel for the comfort and tech. I loved the simplicity of the infotainment, the cargo would work and drivers position was excellent. Quality was confirmed as excellent. Love cloth seats. Never thought I could get a car with that again.
I ended up ordering the plus pack. Wasn’t in the plans but I knew I would regret it over the eight planned years of ownership. All because my partner wanted a heated steering wheel. Not to mention a stock I owned popped yesterday and basically will pay for it. Colour chosen was Snow but changed last second to my second choice when I realized the lack of visible mica made them flatter. The Magnesium won the day. The last option was the trailer hitch for my platform bike racks.
Delivery is scheduled for April 2022. No rush. I just hope we don’t get a new political party elected and reintroduce EV rebates just after I buy.

Small peeves
  • no auxiliary input. I use a fancy DAC in my cars and find quality much better than the cheap audio DACS in cars. In my brief listen, the eGolf with the DAC was better than the PS2 Harmon system. I will live with it. I knew if I got the base stereo, I would spend thousand upgrading it.
  • the trailer hitch is 1.25” so I need an adaptor for my bike platform.
  • getting back into my eGolf I realized how heavy the PS2 is. The VW is zippy even though it is slower.

I am curious how the paint is for stone chips? I want to ppf the front and will need to budget. Delivering in April means I don’t need to worry about snow tires yet.

I am sure I will ask more in the coming months.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and most of us will think you have made a wise decision. I hope the car exceeds all your expectations - mine has for me! :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum, and most of us will think you have made a wise decision. I hope the car exceeds all your expectations - mine has for me! :)
Thanks!
Cannot give the whole market to Tesla. If I could survive with the limited range eGolf, I don’t need Tesla Model 3 range. The PS2 SM has more than plenty. Besides I still have two more gas cars for fun and really long distance trips.
This being my second EV, I will have higher expectations. Especially how good the VW surprised me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
As an ex- eGolf owner, we’re loving the Polestar over the Golf. The extra range changes the whole way you think about things, charging frequency especially. We really liked the eGolf and the way it just got on and did what it was meant to do, but the Polestar just seems like the grown-up option in comparison.
(We nearly went with a Model 3, but then saw the Polestar)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As an ex- eGolf owner, we’re loving the Polestar over the Golf. The extra range changes the whole way you think about things, charging frequency especially. We really liked the eGolf and the way it just got on and did what it was meant to do, but the Polestar just seems like the grown-up option in comparison.
(We nearly went with a Model 3, but then saw the Polestar)
I am looking forward to this. It is the main reason I am selling two cars for this one PS2. I was driving the eGolf more and more and didn’t want to be limited to range. I had so many cars and justified them by their use purpose. My gas cars just weren’t used as often. I am not selling my manual cars. They are too special and irreplaceable. The PS2 have lofty shoes to fill.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Check the weight capacity of the hitch particularly tongue carrying weight. With an adaptor(upsize to 2"), you lose 50% capacity. I thought of getting it, cancelled at the last moment as the hitch cannot carry the weight of my Thule 4 bike racks + 4 bikes. Too bad....Everything else is a awesome...congrats.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check the weight capacity of the hitch particularly tongue carrying weight. With an adaptor(upsize to 2"), you lose 50% capacity. I thought of getting it, cancelled at the last moment as the hitch cannot carry the weight of my Thule 4 bike racks + 4 bikes. Too bad....Everything else is a awesome...congrats.
Yes, I was VERY annoyed it was a 1.25" when I saw it in the dealer. I have to carry three bikes. The Kuat NV2.0 is rated for 60lbs per bike and the third bike is rated for 50lbs. I only need to carry relatively light bikes around 25-30 lbs each. Maybe I should take a chance and wait for the StealthHitch?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am so glad now that I have gotten years ago, for my 2015 Volvo V60, a Thule bike rack from Europe where they all use a 50mm ball grip mount mechanism, rather than the square NA mounts. Definitely pays off, if you own Volvo/Polestar cars.

BTW…they come with a full light setup too, which the ones in NA don’t.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes, I was VERY annoyed it was a 1.25" when I saw it in the dealer. I have to carry three bikes. The Kuat NV2.0 is rated for 60lbs per bike and the third bike is rated for 50lbs. I only need to carry relatively light bikes around 25-30 lbs each. Maybe I should take a chance and wait for the StealthHitch?
For me, it worked out like this:
Max load carrying capacity: 200 lbs,
With Adaptor, load carrying capacity: 100 lbs;
Thule Bike Rack: 40-50 lbs (don't recall exact number)
Each bike: 20-30 lbs
Even with 2 bikes, there is hardly any buffer for road bump etc.

I heard about StealthHitch...not sure when they will be available in Canada.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I have it on the BMW but I doubt they will make for the PS2 unless they see a market for it. I hope someone takes them up for the free unit to borrow a car for development. Doubt it since Polestar has an OEM solution

·
Registered
81 Posts

Yeah, that makes it useful for maybe one heavy bike or two light bikes.

I had experience with the Euro version of bike carriers (so I didn’t even consider non-OEM solutions) ….. which is the best solution for any vehicles with 1.25” OEM receiver sold here, in my opinion. The kicker was, that I paid roughly the same money as Canadian version of the same Thule carrier with 2”, shipped from UK to my door …. Go figure. Some things here are just so overpriced.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hello fellow Torontonian 👋! I never had a heated wheel and now I can't live without it... hand will be thankful. Also great choice of colour! It is white when sunny and grey when gloomy, my type of colour.

Reactions: focal

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello fellow Torontonian 👋! I never had a heated wheel and now I can't live without it... hand will be thankful. Also great choice of colour! It is white when sunny and grey when gloomy, my type of colour.
happy partner, happy life.

I was worried it was aMercedes dated silver. But it is very unique when I saw it in person

·
Registered
199 Posts
happy partner, happy life.

I was worried it was aMercedes dated silver. But it is very unique when I saw it in person
Yes it's quite subtle yet unique. Some colours from other manufacturers I can think of is Porsche's light grey metallic, BMW's Hockenheim Silver and more.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Turns out the 2 days it took to change the order to magnesium from snow pushed me into May now from April for delivery. Not a deal breaker.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello ... wellcome to forum!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Update
  • Delivery moved up to April from the original May
  • Both used cars are sold and traded in already. Peace of mind knowing the numbers are locked in now.
  • Purchased some GGPI
  • ordered snow tires on Jan 1 after Costco had their annual 20% flash sale. Michelin X-ice Snow 245-45-19. Plan to find a set of wheels for winter as a value play but prepared to buy a set of summer wheels too. I have until spring 2023 since I can mount the winter tires on the oem wheels. Hopefully a take off set shows up (ideal) or I find the funds for a custom forged set that is lighter.
  • decided on PPF for the full front but no ceramic coating. PPF needs to be done immediately upon delivery. Ceramic can wait.
  • read this forum way too much!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Changed to Thunder as a pre configured showed up for early Feb delivery. I love Magnesium but not the $400-500 it will cost me in gas to wait until April/May.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Changed to Thunder as a pre configured showed up for early Feb delivery. I love Magnesium but not the $400-500 it will cost me in gas to wait until April/May.
LOL

I saw 8 preconfigured cars pop up last night, nothing matches what I want.

I see 2 are gone already, so we know where at least one of them is going!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts