Polestar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a family road trip from Boulder Colorado to San Francisco (in a rental car) to pick up my Polestar, and then driving home again (in the P2). Total trip length, with sightseeing, would likely be around 3000 miles. (!)

I'm just getting started on logistics, and I figured that you all seem to be pretty enthusiastic about these sorts of things and might have advice and suggestions.

Here are some things I'm thinking about:

1) Route planning
I'm hoping to try not to go the same route both ways (although the options through Nevada are obviously pretty limited.

2) Charging stations
The return route will be governed largely by availability of charging stations. What's the best way for me to find our the location of all available charging stations, regardless of charging net work and such? Sorry, I'm new to EVs.

3) Weather
This trip will likely be in December. I won't have snow tires in either direction: almost impossible to rent a car with honest-to-god snow tires, and the P2 will have the stock tires when I get it. With a few major mountain passes between me and the Pacific Ocean, timing and route selection will be important.

4) Sightseeing
No sense driving 3000 miles without seeing more than the Nevada desert.

Discuss! :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm sure you're probably aware of my road trip video from the e-tron pickup. Regarding I-80, in case you're concerned about the lack of a high power charger in Wendover, I would imagine you could make Elko -> SLC no problem, like I did, as the P2 should be at least a little better than the e-tron. There is supposedly a public 20kw charger in Wendover if you run into an issue, and there's another 50kw one about 25 miles before SLC, just no 150kw fast charger yet.

There is another way through Nevada that cuts more south, it adds a lot of distance and time but perhaps you want to sight see a bit.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You may find you get more stations using PlugShare. ABRP didn't show the public charger in Wendover, for example, but with PlugShare it shows up and there are reviews for it.

PlugShare's trip planner is more free form, you set the range you want and then it lets you choose the stations and path, whereas ABRP will figure it all out for you.

I've not experienced this but I've seen reports (mostly in the east) on the e-tron forum that Electrify America puts maintenance notices up on PlugShare. The complaints were actually that the only good way to discover maintenance in advance was via that notice on PlugShare.

I do like ABRP though for all of its smarts and configurability, I'd probably do some cross referencing if I were taking a trip.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Having driven through the NV desert on many occasions, I'm going to tell you that Northern NV desertscapes are pretty ugly compared to Southern NV/UT. Coming from the beautiful state of CO you will be less enamored with the pass through Tahoe, but that is beautiful for sure.

·
Registered
'21 2 | Palo Alto, CA
926 Posts
Based on my limited experience with a not-too-well planned but not as extensive trip:
* Guesstimate 2 mi/% battery (200 mi total range).

* Bring a heavy duty extension cord (pref 10 ga, outdoor rated, 25-50 ft max) and try to stay at places with an outdoor plug so you have trickle charging overnight, ideally. I've also since found a trick that allows you to filter AirBNBs by EV charging availability:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AirBnB/comments/bbe70u Also, cross check listings between AirBNB and vrbo. I've found a few places are significantly cheaper on vrbo!

* Plan to hit a fast charger (ideally 150 kW, which means Electrify America) when you get to ~20% = 40 mi left. If possible coordinate this with food/potty breaks.
If you have time (I didn't!) use ABRP and PlugShare for planning routes like others have said, but change the default ref consumption at 65mph to 305 Wh/mi. Double check the suggested route against the 2 mi/% guideline.
Note, the Polestar's google maps doesn't suggest Electrify America, instead defaulting to Evgo and ChargePoint. So you have to ask it specifically to find the fast ones.

* Download the PlugShare, ABRP, EvGo, Chargepoint, and Electrify America apps now and get your logins etc for them now in case you have limited cell signal etc. EvGo sends an RFID card in the mail - I'm not sure if that's necessary beyond using a phone NFC. If you don't have a smartphone, not sure what the recommendation is other than to ask that you join the 21st century already.
For Electrify America, don't bother with the app. Just use the touchscreen prompts and have a physical credit card ready to swipe and use, just like you would at a regular gas station.
Make sure to hold the plug in firmly until the led color at the charge port changes, indicating the handshake is complete. Then wait a sec for the whirr of the charger fans to startup, confirm it's going, and then go about your business.

* Overall, don't fret too much! I didn't partly because I couldn't while making sure the kids didn't maim themselves while we were more doing outdoors stuff. All went well and I'm glad I wasn't too obsessed about range, charging, etc. (though let's be honest, I got a little obsessed at times and my wife snapped me out of it)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sure you're probably aware of my road trip video from the e-tron pickup.
Yes, now I need to watch your video. Thanks!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Having driven through the NV desert on many occasions, I'm going to tell you that Northern NV desertscapes are pretty ugly compared to Southern NV/UT. Coming from the beautiful state of CO you will be less enamored with the pass through Tahoe, but that is beautiful for sure.
Yes, I've done the standard SLC -> SF drive before, and agree that there isn't much to see. I was thinking of heading a but more south and coming through southern Utah. Not sure if I could pull this off on the return with the P2. But perhaps on the way out!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts