Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, Tomorrow is the big day when my car arrives, Launch edition in Magnesium. To say I'm like a kid at Christmas would be understating it slightly. A couple of months ago I mentioned to my wife that it would be good to do a long trip soon after getting the car so that we can be confident for future trips. Soon after my brother in law announced his wedding on the day after we get the car, hence a 470 mile round trip to attend his wedding on Wednesday. I was hoping for a little longer to get used to the car, but it will be a good day out seeing family we haven't seen for some time.

The logistics are @235 miles in the UK from home (Winchester) to Leeds Bradford area. With it being a wedding arrival time is obviously the key thing here, everything else can flex. Now theoretically I understand that with a good following wind we might get the 235 miles on one charge, but even I'm not about to take that risk on day 2 of ownership even though I have been known to drive with 0 miles range in my ICE when I got a little complacent between fills.

My plan
Charge to 100% at home tomorrow night
Is there any benefit to preconditioning the car whilst it is plugged in? The forecast is for about 13 degrees when we set off

My route plan has 3 potential charge stops to give it a burst to get us there, my plan is a minimum of 20 minutes charging, more if we have time in hand to get more in reserve for the return.
1) Moto Donnington park @140 miles, the usual toilet break location, upgraded Gridserve electric highway in the corner of the car park.
2) Markham Vale Instavolt at KFC M1 j29 @175 miles
3) Barlborough instavolt at KFC M1 J30 @179 miles

are the second and third contingency stops within realistic range on a new car? does the battery need a few cycles before you get full range? Will all these chargers be good with contactless or should I get the instavolt app?

Depending on range when we arrive I will either slip out and charge to 80% during the afternoon at Ikea Leeds (gridserve) or if that is no good nearby are an Alfa power or Osprey that I can use my electric juice card at. Alternatively I could set off and charge at Barlborough which is about 50 miles into the journey. If I charge fully then it might be a stop at the M1 rugby Gridserve to get enough juice to get all the way home.

Since I am jumping in the car to do this after possibly doing a couple of miles tomorrow afternoon there are some slight nerves about making an error. Is there anything I should do with the car tomorrow?
Should I set up ABRP or stick with google? I understand that the TomTom app isn't available on AAOS yet
Should I go to the nearby services and test charge on a gridserve unit? or will it be fine?
Any settings that need to be tweaked on getting the car?
For music we have Deezer but I understand that is not available yet on AAOS, so I shall get someone else to control the music from their phone on bluetooth. Is it easy to flip which phone is connected once they are paired?

Sorry, a long rambling post, I'm just a bit excited and don't want to mess up with such a long journey as the first trip. I would appreciate any tips to make sure it goes well.

thanks

Paul

·
Registered
247 Posts
Be prepared to queue on motorway services as there are usually only one or two devices and there are more EV's about these days, I always look for a Morrisons supermarket en route as they usually have a 50kW via GeniePoint.
As for the distances, I have not pushed the car that far and get a top up between 100-130 miles, remember that you will stop charging at 80%, as beyond that it really does slow down - the headline charge rate is unlikely, but good from low to about half full, then it steps down the fuller it gets.
A recent bill at an Ionity 350kW charger shows 30 minutes to deliver 35kWh, dropping as I pushed to about 85%.
But good luck with the run, you will definitely enjoy driving it.

·
Registered
Void, Slate, Non-PP on 19's
157 Posts
I recommend the BP pulse at Milton just off the A34 south of Oxford. 1 of the 2 machines (right hand one as you stand looking at them) works well. It is only 45 ish miles from Winchester but works and seems off the beaten track. A quick 10 to 15 min charge there gives you more flexibility later. Otherwise I have had very mixed luck with gridserve and they only seem to give out 60kw at absolute best (never had more than 40kw from them personally) not the posted 120kw.

Little and often is advice I have taken to heart, and make sure you have backups in mind for each stop and plan so you have the charge to reach them.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Ikea is likely to be busy so if there is anywhere else nearby worth considering there.
I see there is an Ionity at J45 on M1 Skelton Lake Services which may be worth considering as it will be quick but expensive. Not sure whether it is Northbound or Southbound but if North then call in on the way up if time and then you can relax.
If you are staying the night there are plenty of 50kW chargers around and some are free to use to October (there is 1 in Wetherby). If possible I would suggest staying a day or 2 as there are some really nice places to visit around here.
We have just come back from the Cotswolds and charged to 90% which showed 220 mile range and we didn't charge at all and we live near Wetherby so did 170-180 miles and still had 40 miles showing at 13% battery when we got home (started off showing 4% would be left). It is a very comfortable car for distances but as others have said charging little and often is good.
It is worth looking to see where you might charge and downloading relevant apps as it can be a pain initially as you often need to register and provide card details etc which can take a while, especially if poor signal. This also makes it look as though it takes a long time to charge which may unsettle the other half!
Since this will be your first journey with an EV allow some more time and you will arrive calm. Sometimes there are selfish people who charge to 100% and then leave their cars so nobody else can use the charger as we found recently (they hade been charging over 1.5 hours) which is really frustrating but luckily uncommon, not ideal if you are in a rush and there isn't another charger nearby.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips and suggestions.

@Jwgill I think Milton might be a bit too early in the journey as it might still be at 80% by then. Although it's a good one to have in mind when coming home if it needs just a bit to finish the journey.

@968mike Useful suggestions, the wedding is just off the M62 at the Ikea junction of the M62, but there are a couple of alternatives nearby that I might try first. I've got the electric juice card from Octopus and that gives me 3 50kw chargers in a few miles which will hopefully reduce the setup time. Staying over would be lovely, but it's sadly an up and back in a day because we are already taking the children out of school for the day. Proving this can go smoothly means we'll be confident to do some weekend visits to family soon though.

Maybe bearing in mind the little and often it would make sense to swing by Gridserve at Rugby. I think that is about 100 miles in but if I get it up to 80% there then we'll be sure to arrive on time, any bonus time at a later stop can be spent charging to get us further home and I won't need to slip out in the afternoon to charge before the return leg.

·
Registered
Void, Slate, Non-PP on 19's
157 Posts
Thanks for the tips and suggestions.

@Jwgill I think Milton might be a bit too early in the journey as it might still be at 80% by then. Although it's a good one to have in mind when coming home if it needs just a bit to finish the journey.

@968mike Useful suggestions, the wedding is just off the M62 at the Ikea junction of the M62, but there are a couple of alternatives nearby that I might try first. I've got the electric juice card from Octopus and that gives me 3 50kw chargers in a few miles which will hopefully reduce the setup time. Staying over would be lovely, but it's sadly an up and back in a day because we are already taking the children out of school for the day. Proving this can go smoothly means we'll be confident to do some weekend visits to family soon though.

Maybe bearing in mind the little and often it would make sense to swing by Gridserve at Rugby. I think that is about 100 miles in but if I get it up to 80% there then we'll be sure to arrive on time, any bonus time at a later stop can be spent charging to get us further home and I won't need to slip out in the afternoon to charge before the return leg.
Yeah, I realised that after I typed the message, sorry. I'm in Four Marks and normally only charge to 90%, so when I went to see my parents in Cheshire in June, Milton was a quick 10 min stop at about 65%. I realised after I had posted that you mentioned you'd be leaving on 100% so you'd likely be on 80% on arrival and so not necessarily that useful on the way up. But knowing chargers that really do work is a help so I hope it proves to be useful at some point.

·
Registered
467 Posts
There you go, already thinking like an EV driver!
Not sure how old your kids are but if you stop after 2 hours they will probably want a toilet break anyway.
When you are older you definitely need one so stopping to charge a bit every 2 hours isn't a problem!
You will notice that your range really improves when you are stuck in the 50mph average speed check areas and suddenly they don't seem as bad. Depending how far your are going it can mean the difference between having to charge or not. Definitely a case sometimes of going a little slower can mean you get there quicker.
I turn the regen off for motorway drives and often use the adaptive cruise which is good. Bear in mind the outside temp will affect range.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My two penneth worth, and for context I live in Bradford.

I did a trip to London last week at 100% starting charge and got home (a good 10 miles past the IKEA at Borstal) with 22% charge left. I tend to average c2.5 miles per 1%, so 250 miles. I recon a stop will be prudent but you won't need long.

When in West Yorkshire look for an Engie charger, they are 50kw, reliable and free (until end of October) you are limited to 60 min charge though.

You may also find the venue has a 7kw charger...check before you go?

I tend to use BP Pulse en route as I have the credit from Polestar, these tend to be just off the M1 but can be unreliable.

Have fun.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
IMHO Drive to Sheffield, there are the Electric Highway just of the motorway, if they don't work or busy then Osprey and Instavolt near by, and all near food places. Basically lots of options.

If you stop for a toilet or quick stop on the way ... then get a charge if you can. At the Electric Highway you'll get a min 10% per 10 mins even at a higher SOC, which is enough for a toilet and grabbing a coffee. This will just give you a bigger buffer at Sheffield ... and as you know you'll be there for a bit of food then it won't mater if they are 50kw's, as eating will take longer.

Then on the Return trip head for Rugby services ... again grab a charge on the way if you want or the estimate SOC % is a little low (ie below 5%).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well no plan survives first contact and all that. My newly fitted charger won't work. Currently charging on the granny charger with an ETA of finished charging just an hour before we depart. We have had the good sense to test on a rapid to eliminate there being a problem with the car.
Lovely car though, looking forward to the drive tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Well no plan survives first contact and all that. My newly fitted charger won't work. Currently charging on the granny charger with an ETA of finished charging just an hour before we depart. We have had the good sense to test on a rapid to eliminate there being a problem with the car.
Lovely car though, looking forward to the drive tomorrow.
What charger is it?

I assume it's new? Have you tried any other car on it?

Doesn't sound like the car if the 3-Pin is working fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's a Newmotion Home advanced. I'm not impressed with it, but work supplied it FOC so there wasn't a lot of choice. I've emailed the installer and will follow up with the procurement person at work as he was inviting feedback. It's my first EV so didn't have a chance to test it before, but I've noticed it with a big red light on twice needing a reset so had a suspicion things were not going to go smoothly.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Well good luck today. I'm sure you'll be fine.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
3,059 Posts
Oh dear, sounds like it's failing its own internal earthing checks, so the installer needs to come out and do their job properly.

Hopefully things are going well today! Ionity is your friend on these long runs, particularly if you use the PlugSurfing app with your details as it gets you 30p/kWh instead of 69p/kWh. Other than that... use InstaVolt where you can, and ALWAYS check the comments on chargers on ZapMap to give you a good idea of which ones from all types are reliable.

Hope you are having a good day and the wedding is going well!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hope the wedding went well and the trip was hassle free!

This was my recent Plugsurfing bill. It works out at 25p + VAT/kW which is pretty good for the speed.
We had a toilet break, coffee etc and were ready to go before we knew it. It started off at over 120kW and reduced as we charged to 90% since there were several chargers unused.

2021-09-07 from 15:07:01 to 15:41:13
IONITY GB
GB*ION*E410601
Motorway A605 , PE7 3UQ Peterborough, United Kingdom
8.78 GBP
35.117 kW
34m 12s

·
Registered
2,344 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi All
Sorry for not replying before now, we got back at 1 a.m. and was too tired to go on line yesterday. My wife says maybe I would not have been so tired if I had let her have a turn on the driving.
It went well and we learnt a bit on the way. Bladders gave out before the battery so we stopped on the way up at Rugby with 50% left, it seems for us this is exactly the half way point. After nipping to the toilet and the children deciding it was time for second breakfast we were stopped for 40 minutes in all which got us from 50% to 90%. More than enough to get there. We arrived with 15 minutes to spare and after a quick change were just in time. I decided not to leave for a charge as we had 46% battery.
We set off home later than planned, doesn't that always happen with family events? Drove down to the instavolt at J29A and charged from 21% to 50% in 20 minutes. Then on to Rugby to charge for the rest of the way. This time we got 50% in 30 minutes. We could have set off sooner had the home charger been working, but I stayed a little longer to make sure I had enough to run my daughter to school in the morning without needing to use the 3pin.
All in it went well, the car is lovely to drive and I noticed some cars on the motorway slowing to work out what it was. No problems at any of the charging stops we picked and it all went smoothly. I can see the benefit in charging speed to let it go lower before stopping, our two stops at Rugby showed that. It's clear that without having to come back on the same day just a 15 minute burst of charging would be enough to get us there. I calculate it used 94% battery for the trip with acc set at 70 for almost the whole journey.

Thanks for all the advice before hand, I would have liked to have had time for a trial run before the pressure of a wedding, but it was fine. I'm really pleased with the car. The broken charger has taken the shine off a little bit, but there is a support ticket open with newmotion where they will work out if they can fix it remotely or it needs replacing.

I've got lots of questions but will search the forums for answers before posting, but getting to drive the car 500 miles within 48 hours of getting it was nice. My wife is asking when she gets a turn!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Be careful with that if you ever want to drive the P2 again without buying a second one... :D
seriously

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
3,059 Posts
Glad you had such a good trip Paul! The Polestar really does just eat up motorway miles, particularly with adaptive cruise control (ACC) turned on. Pleased too that the chargers worked out for you as well.

Now you just need to get your home charging point sorted! I suspect it needs a better earth...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts