Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi New P2 Owner

Took delivery of P2 Dual Motor (non PP) last week

Having major concerns over range - typical commute is 25m each way 1-2m in town at each end and 20m of 60-70 on dual carriageway. This combined trip would appear to take 20-21 Kwh, Giving about 40Kwh/100m, putting absolute max range for our longer Journeys at probably only about 175m.

Google Maps accurately predicts this same usage.

Above Journeys with one person in car, after pre heat, daily temp at 5-10c, so not even cold yet. Have tried with and without single peddle braking, makes little or no impact. This Journey is taking 30/35mins so I would thing the car/battery is pretty well warmed up.

Observing the running consumption rate on dual carriageway at 60-70mph it doesn't drop much below 40kwh/100m.

We were expecting much closer to 220m (based on Polestars predictor). Most longer Journeys are to customers where the range/time is critical and don't have facility for recharge. So it looks like I would have to stop on the either leg of journey, just to do a 200m trip, which will extend the day by another 30+mins (assuming a charger available)

Most of these journeys will be the same few miles at each end on local roads and then the majority at dual carriageway 55-80mph depending on traffic.

Am I being pessimistic or realistic ?

Only have a few miles left before I need to reject the car and contemplate the ugly one, which would be a real shame as generally the car seems to be good ride.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Congratulations on your new car.
Welcome to winter EV driving! The range you are seeing is realistic in colder times and the 220 is realistic in summer temperatures. This is nothing different to other EVs but it is a bit of a shock if you take delivery in colder weather.
On a longer run you may see a little more but even if you had to stop to charge it wouldn't be for long as you don't need to fully charge it, just enough to get you home to your charger, maybe 10 minutes would be enough.
Obviously you mistyped and meant 55-70mph. If you stick to 65 or 70 it is more economical so you may to need to stop.
Now you know why EVs don't generally speed on the motorways. 🙂

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
2,110 Posts
Many short journeys in cold weather will kill your range down to under 150 miles, especially if you don't charge above the recommended 90%. Was a nasty shock last winter for many of us!
If you reject the car I would advise that you do your research on forums before choosing a replacement. No manufacturer is honest with their figures.
Good luck.

·
Registered
Ordered MY 2022 on Friday 13th of August! Long Range Dual-Motor, Snow/Nappa, Pilot, Plus, Tow hitch
388 Posts
Also remember that the first few miles give you extra high consumption if you don't preheat the battery while plugged in. Once the battery is at operating temp you should see consumption drop, even in cold weather.

Reactions: Icesingh

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a 25 mile commute, each way, mostly A / B roads with a bit of urban traffic. My typical consumption is 9-11% of battery each way in Summer or 12-15% in Winter. This equates to a range of around 230-250 miles in Summer or 170 to 200 in Winter from a 100% charge.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
The P2 can do 230-250 under ideal conditions (i.e. not when it's very cold outside). With the new 1.7 sw release you should be able to pre-heat the car and the battery before you unplug, set your HVAC to "eco", and get some additional winter range.

Only have a few miles left before I need to reject the car and contemplate the ugly one, which would be a real shame as generally the car seems to be good ride.
As for the ugly one (I love that :)), you are going to have a similar problem.

Your best bet is to forget about range per say. Keep an eye on your "fuel gauge" (your battery%), and when you get low, find the nearest DC charger and fill up just enough to get you home. Your main "pump" is always at your house.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi New P2 Owner

Took delivery of P2 Dual Motor (non PP) last week

Having major concerns over range - typical commute is 25m each way 1-2m in town at each end and 20m of 60-70 on dual carriageway. This combined trip would appear to take 20-21 Kwh, Giving about 40Kwh/100m, putting absolute max range for our longer Journeys at probably only about 175m.

Google Maps accurately predicts this same usage.

Above Journeys with one person in car, after pre heat, daily temp at 5-10c, so not even cold yet. Have tried with and without single peddle braking, makes little or no impact. This Journey is taking 30/35mins so I would thing the car/battery is pretty well warmed up.

Observing the running consumption rate on dual carriageway at 60-70mph it doesn't drop much below 40kwh/100m.

We were expecting much closer to 220m (based on Polestars predictor). Most longer Journeys are to customers where the range/time is critical and don't have facility for recharge. So it looks like I would have to stop on the either leg of journey, just to do a 200m trip, which will extend the day by another 30+mins (assuming a charger available)

Most of these journeys will be the same few miles at each end on local roads and then the majority at dual carriageway 55-80mph depending on traffic.

Am I being pessimistic or realistic ?

Check your tire pressures. The car won't report if they are all low because of how the system is designed. Use eco-climate mode if you can tolerate it. It really helps on short trips. The majority of electric cars don't get anywhere near their rated average range at 70+ mph, the dual motor Polestar's highway rating is only 226 miles (401 Wh/mi), not 249.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I had a realistic 240 miles, mostly A roads, this summer. I'll get much less in the winter as everyone is saying. All EVs are the same, if you have the newer model with the heat pump you'll see a little better than I do at times.

Lots of short journeys kills economy regardless of fuel. So if you enjoy the car, continue to enjoy the car!

Oh an 5-10 degrees is cold for the battery. And electric cars don't warm up in the same way that ICE ones do, so even after a 30 minute journey the thermal mass of the car can still be low.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2 Two Motor
16 Posts
I have only taken 2 highway trips with my car, and the biggest factor I noticed was speed, probably wind resistance. I slowed down 10MPH, and my consumption improved. The main reason I was able to justify an EV was I only drive 10 miles a day, and I want to be able to do it quickly; mission accomplished!

The only car I've heard that the real world mileage is as good as the rating has been the Ford Mach-e GT. My friend get MORE than the claimed range. BUT... he drive's from Los Angeles to Palm Springs, and last trip it was over 100°F in Palm Springs. His battery was pre-heated JUST fine.

I honestly think the next milestone wont be charging speed improvements, but getting an EV whos range is more than what a human can reasonably drive in a day, and can 100% recharge while resting. For me that is about 600miles; I don't like driving for more than 8-10 hours a day. I am lucky that range and charging isn't an issue for me.

Good luck with the car, and I hope you keep the Pretty One!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for help and advice everyone.

I think I will...

Check tyre pressures
Set HVAC to Eco (car has the heat exchanger)
Turn Single peddle driving off
Set a limit of 70mph
charge to 100% at home
Pre warm car before departure

Do a test run over a typical longer journey

And see what transpires...

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
I have only taken 2 highway trips with my car, and the biggest factor I noticed was speed, probably wind resistance. I slowed down 10MPH, and my consumption improved.
The power needed to propel the car increases with the cube of your speed. So if you are ever in trouble with range, get under the speed limit and you should make it.

The only car I've heard that the real world mileage is as good as the rating has been the Ford Mach-e GT.
The Taycan regularly beats its EPA rating by a lot. On the other hand Tesla tends to do worse than their EPA rating by a wider margin than most.

I honestly think the next milestone wont be charging speed improvements, but getting an EV whos range is more than what a human can reasonably drive in a day, and can 100% recharge while resting. For me that is about 600miles; I don't like driving for more than 8-10 hours a day. I am lucky that range and charging isn't an issue for me.
Lucid is basically already there with a real world range of 520 miles. And who needs more than a day's worth of battery weighing you down. In an 8 hour day I like to stop at least twice. If each of those is 15 minutes of charging then you only need 300 miles.

·
Super Moderator
1,738 Posts
I think I will... Check tyre pressures
Wise. But wise anyway. You could try the 'ECO' tyre pressures but may need to visit a chiropodist, and a number of us tried it and couldn't identify -any- range saving. I'd just make sure they're correct.

Set HVAC to Eco (car has the heat exchanger)
Yes, if you want foggy windows, a horrible environment, and want to freeze to death in winter or cook in summer. This new feature is not properly developed... give it a year.

Turn Single peddle driving off
Yes, if you want to disable the single best feature of driving an EV... Suppose you could turn it off on the motorway but then you have to remember to turn it back on again. If you're doing a steady speed with cruise control on, this makes absolutely no difference. I'd leave it on.

Set a limit of 70mph
Well, that's not really going to help much. If you're wanting to hypermile, you need to be doing 56 with the lorries. 70 is already hammering the range. But yes, don't exceed 70 for sure.

charge to 100% at home
I wouldn't unless you are absolutely desperate for the last mile. Doing this prevents regen and will also do long term harm to the battery.

Pre warm car before departure
Definitely do this.

I'll be brutal. If you wanted guaranteed 200+ mile range in all weathers and your journeys include UK motorways, you've chosen the wrong car.

·
Super Moderator
1,738 Posts
What I will say though is, don't base your predicted range on the longer journey on the drives you've already done. You really need to try and do the long trip at least once before making your mind up. Leave extra time in case you need to charge!

But wouldn't you need at least one break in the day anyway? Surely you have 30 mins of downtime in your day - would be unhealthy otherwise!

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Yes, if you want foggy windows, a horrible environment, and want to freeze to death in winter or cook in summer. This new feature is not properly developed... give it a year.
The heated seats and steering wheel are there in winter so you can keep the radiant heater down. I remember on the Volt forum everyone complained that drivers were always cold because eco was the default setting. In cars heat has always been a "free" by-product of the ICE, and so we are used to cranking it up. You'd go broke if you kept your house that warm. If you want to be toasty -- you have to pay for it.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts