Polestar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2
7 Posts
Think real hard about road trips you will realistically take over the next couple of years (be honest!). Map out each of those trips using an app like A Better Route Planner and see what the charging will be like. Then decide is it is worth spending extra time charging on these road trips, to save time daily by charging at home overnight.

Many of us over estimate how often we take long road trips. We also tend to over emphasize the time it would take to charge on these trips. For example, most of my regular road trips are within about 250 miles. That's one charging stop each way for about 10-15 minutes. Our longest road trips which we do once every other year, is about 880 miles each way. We drove our Audi E-tron on this trip in the spring and it added about an extra 1.5hrs along the entire route. Honestly it was nice to have the extra breaks along the way.

I will gladly add a bit of time to my occasional road trip, so I don't need to stop at a gas station once or twice a week during my normal around town driving.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Tyre pressure have a massive impact. My experience is you lose about the same in %range terms as your tyres are below recommended pressure, so 10% below recommended, 4psi down, = 10% less range. Really sensitive.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Road trips are not to be feared but enjoyed. I did 3500 miles in a week in September and it was great. Just do a little homework before you go to make sure you know where to charge. If in doubt, Ionity.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Many of us over estimate how often we take long road trips.
For sure! Unless you're a traveling salesman, or your summer/winter house/boat/whatever is more than 200 miles away, then the impact here is minimal.

Honestly it was nice to have the extra breaks along the way.
It's a pleasure not to be rushed. I also find the drive better if I can take a longer/more stops. I arrive in better condition.

·
Registered
2021 Moon with Charcoal Interior on 19’s
29 Posts
“Unless you are a traveling salesman”…. I am one and I bought this car after crunching the numbers. So far after week one, it has been great! Still haven’t charged away from home yet. 300kms or so round trip for a few days.

Should I post videos on YouTube on living with a P2 while working on the road?

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
“Unless you are a traveling salesman”…. I am one and I bought this car after crunching the numbers. So far after week one, it has been great! Still haven’t charged away from home yet. 300kms or so round trip for a few days.

Should I post videos on YouTube on living with a P2 while working on the road?
Yes 😀. Glad to hear it. To be fair, in the Canadian winter you may have to charge away from home on that trip.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Eco mode actually helps a lot on short trips. Had just a few days with foggy windows, the other days were just fine.

getting dry in the car —> no foggy windows
Getting wet in the car —> (very) foggy windows

even with temperatures down to 2-3 degrees I found it acceptable with steering heat and seat heater on.

I can also mention (for the record) that we had almost 650mm of rain in October. So I definitely have some real world comparison data when driving in eco and rainy conditions ;)

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Dual Motor Launch Edition 2021 - Void
174 Posts
1/3 of UK homeowners do not have a driveway or garage. Probably a similar amount in the US. A much larger figure in most other countries in the world.
It was actually very important for me to have home charging, although most of the trips I'll be doing should be within range, one of the customers I currently go to is pushing the range, especially in winter. If I wouldn't have had home charging, I probably would not have gone EV yet, as I tend to not have the time to spend hours charging the car on the road each week (and I say hours, because basically every other day I would empty the battery doing the round trip).

It does involve redoing my front yard to turn it into a driveway (was on the list anyway). But we also just bought a new house (will be newly build, so still about 2 years away from actually moving) and I would not consider one without a driveway.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
It does involve redoing my front yard to turn it into a driveway (was on the list anyway). But we also just bought a new house (will be newly build, so still about 2 years away from actually moving) and I would not consider one without a driveway.
Funny that here in the States, as soon as I graduated from an apartment, I wouldn't even look at a house without a garage.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm wondering if the people that find eco mode unusable in the winter time are normally getting in their cars and stripping naked before taking off. I've found just keeping a thin jacket or hooded sweatshirt on , as well as the heated seats and steering wheel heater on makes it completely fine at freezing temps.

There's also the people in the Bolt EV forums that drive with the heater completely off and recirc off in the winter time, covering themselves with an electric blanket. Eco mode is nowhere near that extreme.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I'm wondering if the people that find eco mode unusable in the winter time are normally getting in their cars and stripping naked before taking off.
Now all the complaints about uncomfortable ridges on the front seats make sense.

·
Super Moderator
1,731 Posts
The heated seats and steering wheel are there in winter so you can keep the radiant heater down.
How do the heated seats and steering wheel keep the glass clear?

My point is that, at the moment, the Eco function is not usable (in this country at least) because it degrades the performance of the climate control to the point it can no longer even keep the glass clear.

This isn't about temperature as such, it's about keeping the humidity down.

I'm sure the intention was good, but as seems to be the rule, it wasn't tested and refined enough before being released.

You either live somewhere very warm and dry or you've not actually tested this feature if you think it works OK!

·
Registered
140 Posts

My point is that, at the moment, the Eco function is not usable (in this country at least) because it degrades the performance of the climate control to the point it can no longer even keep the glass clear.

I'm sure the intention was good, but as seems to be the rule, it wasn't tested and refined enough before being released.

You either live somewhere very warm and dry or you've not actually tested this feature if you think it works OK!
One day when it was raining it wouldn't keep the glass clear, but other days when it was raining it was fine. I think it depends on how much moisture you introduce into the car before driving. Probably also depends on the outside temperature, the days it worked okay it was in the 40F's here.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have managed 250 in the summer but it did require a max speed of 60-65mph as well as 20 odd miles at 50mph restrictions. In the winter i rarely get below 200 but that’s with heated seats/wheels only and i find that adequate.
My default mode is to drive at/below speed limits and being retired means i am rally in a rush - both these help hugely with range. My one peel driving is set to ‘low’ as the ‘high’ was too harsh for my taste.
All in all no major complaints about range once i got over the initial disappointment of the advertised range being a complete myth with normal use.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Dual Motor Launch Edition 2021 - Void
174 Posts
Funny that here in the States, as soon as I graduated from an apartment, I wouldn't even look at a house without a garage.
In the Netherlands we are talking about a whole different price range if I want a garage too. I mean, I would really like one, hell I would want a double one. But that's just not realistic until I switch jobs a couple more time to earn a lot more money (and I'm at double compared to a middle income).

·
Super Moderator
1,731 Posts
Several journalists actually drove the car 500+ miles on one charge. I consider that real world.
Just watched the Motortrend video - impressive stuff. LA to SF (over 400 miles) and car still showing 100 miles of range on arrival.

No idea what the average speed was etc., though - but certainly very good.

Mind you, it's $160k...

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Just watched the Motortrend video - impressive stuff. LA to SF (over 400 miles) and car still showing 100 miles of range on arrival.

No idea what the average speed was etc., though - but certainly very good.

Mind you, it's $160k...
I think the 80K version only has a range of 405 miles -- still not bad, but it's not been tested on the road yet.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts

I think the idea is that if the windshield fogs you have to turn on the defogger (which kicks in the heat), but other than that you can still save some energy in eco mode. I don't know that it will ever be ideal, but it give you options.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts