Polestar Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,731 Posts
Which is of course ridiculous given the car has a humidity sensor by the windscreen.

Eco mode should be on a ‘best endeavours’ basis, not at the expense of actual functionality. If it can’t keep the glass clear, it should engage the AC more, not let the window mist up!

The car has automated climate control which you don’t need to fiddle with. It’s set and forget. Why should this change because you have enabled eco mode?

I stand by my previous statement that this is an unrefined feature rushed out before proper testing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Which is of course ridiculous given the car has a humidity sensor by the windscreen.

Eco mode should be on a ‘best endeavours’ basis, not at the expense of actual functionality. If it can’t keep the glass clear, it should engage the AC more, not let the window mist up!

The car has automated climate control which you don’t need to fiddle with. It’s set and forget. Why should this change because you have enabled eco mode?

I stand by my previous statement that this is an unrefined feature rushed out before proper testing.
I don’t understand why it’s an unrefined feature. If used correctly it works like a charm. It’s also stating in the manual that due to the fact that air is recirculated the windows can be foggy. It’s also mentioned that it can be unpleasant for those in the backseats.

like I wrote earlier. We have a well above average level of perception here (600+ mm last month).
getting in the car wet —> fogged Windows
Getting in the car dry —> no issues
Settings are 22 degrees, eco, fan on speed 5 and airflow on the windows and passenger.

For me this function has reduced the consumption with well over 15% and I will definitely qualify this as the most welcomed upgrade since we’ve had the car.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I took my son and Mrs for a drive in the car with it being coldish this evening, the windows started fogging up. No matter what I did I couldn’t get the demisters working for the windscreen. Eco mode was on, I turned it off and still nothing, put the heating on max on auto and nothing. Ended up saying hey google switch on demisters and …… wait for it….. green screen of death infotainment reboots and blowers start working. Took my Mrs and son back home, waited 30 minutes went out again and tried to repeat the experiment but no issues this time. All heating worked with or without eco mode.

·
Super Moderator
1,731 Posts
I don’t understand why it’s an unrefined feature. If used correctly it works like a charm. It’s also stating in the manual that due to the fact that air is recirculated the windows can be foggy. It’s also mentioned that it can be unpleasant for those in the backseats.
We obviously won't be able to agree on what unrefined is. Sitting in a car full of damp recirculated air is, to me, unrefined!

Plenty of other cars have eco modes that don't do -any- of the things you just described.

We all have individual expectations, and I won't trade comfort for 15% of range. I'd rather just charge for five minutes longer than sit in a sweat box for two hours.

I strongly believe that eco mode should not allow the windows to fog and that manual intervention should not be needed. This is a 'climate control' system - you should be able to leave it alone to do it's thing properly. Putting it in eco mode puts all the onus back on the driver to manually manage the environment. That makes it an unrefined feature!

·
Registered
141 Posts
We obviously won't be able to agree on what unrefined is. Sitting in a car full of damp recirculated air is, to me, unrefined!

Plenty of other cars have eco modes that don't do -any- of the things you just described.

We all have individual expectations, and I won't trade comfort for 15% of range. I'd rather just charge for five minutes longer than sit in a sweat box for two hours.

I strongly believe that eco mode should not allow the windows to fog and that manual intervention should not be needed. This is a 'climate control' system - you should be able to leave it alone to do it's thing properly. Putting it in eco mode puts all the onus back on the driver to manually manage the environment. That makes it an unrefined feature!
If you put a conventional HVAC system on recirc when there is too much moisture it will do the same thing. Eco mode should be the most ecological at the expense of not being perfect at doing everything. If you don't want eco, don't use eco?

To go back to the OP's question, I was able to drive 122 miles today starting off at 57% charge, and got home with 6% left. Temp at the start was in the low 40Fs, low 50Fs on the return trip. We knew it was going to be close so we conserved power by reducing our highway speed and using eco.

It was the first time I have let the battery get below 15%. The car going into turtle mode is super undesirable. Barely enough power to get up to speed on a 55mph up-hill road. I will be avoiding running below 10% in the future because of how drastic the power cut is. My Bolt EV was no-where near this level of power cut at 3%, the lowest I ever took it.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
I took my son and Mrs for a drive in the car with it being coldish this evening, the windows started fogging up. No matter what I did I couldn’t get the demisters working for the windscreen. Eco mode was on, I turned it off and still nothing, put the heating on max on auto and nothing. Ended up saying hey google switch on demisters and …… wait for it….. green screen of death infotainment reboots and blowers start working. Took my Mrs and son back home, waited 30 minutes went out again and tried to repeat the experiment but no issues this time. All heating worked with or without eco mode.
There's a physical button for defogging.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Yup pressed them only worked on rear no effect on windscreen. Even put a tissue on the vents and tissue didn’t move until the infotainment went green and rebooted.
There are two buttons. One for the front and one for the rear. When I press the front one the HVAC goes crazy until the windshield is clear. I guess maybe once you got the reboot the HVAC went off.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2 Two Motor
15 Posts
Lucid is basically already there with a real world range of 520 miles. And who needs more than a day's worth of battery weighing you down. In an 8 hour day I like to stop at least twice. If each of those is 15 minutes of charging then you only need 300 miles.
Good Point! I know the infrastructure will improve, but currently I seem to be living in a bit of a dead zone. A 240 mile round trip to my in-laws requires a 50 mile (round trip) detour to find a DC charger. Or I pick a different route that is 25miles out of the way, but not exactly at a place I want to stop. For the long trips, 9+ hours, we usually stop at rest stops in the middle of "nowhere", and I haven't seen any chargers at the ones I stop at, yet. It is all about adjusting to the new normal, and I'm trying. I am so glad I have such a short commute, and the airport and my favorite stores are within a 60mile radius. EV's seem to be made for me, I'm glad I made the switch.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Good Point! I know the infrastructure will improve, but currently I seem to be living in a bit of a dead zone. A 240 mile round trip to my in-laws requires a 50 mile (round trip) detour to find a DC charger. Or I pick a different route that is 25miles out of the way, but not exactly at a place I want to stop. For the long trips, 9+ hours, we usually stop at rest stops in the middle of "nowhere", and I haven't seen any chargers at the ones I stop at, yet. It is all about adjusting to the new normal, and I'm trying. I am so glad I have such a short commute, and the airport and my favorite stores are within a 60mile radius. EV's seem to be made for me, I'm glad I made the switch.
No question there are still dead zones, and you are right that things will get better. As for going to your in-laws, if you are staying there for even 24 hours, you can easily put 60 miles of additional range into your car via a 110v outlet. That might well be enough to make the round trip very easily, except maybe in the dead of winter. Maybe in the winter you can stay a little longer :)

·
Registered
525 Posts
To me that sounds a good reason not to visit the in laws 😂😂😂😂

sorry dear would love to see mum and dad but car won’t make it as there’s no chargers on the way. Why by a BEv? Ummmm. For this reason 😂😂

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi New P2 Owner

Took delivery of P2 Dual Motor (non PP) last week

Having major concerns over range - typical commute is 25m each way 1-2m in town at each end and 20m of 60-70 on dual carriageway. This combined trip would appear to take 20-21 Kwh, Giving about 40Kwh/100m, putting absolute max range for our longer Journeys at probably only about 175m.

Google Maps accurately predicts this same usage.

Above Journeys with one person in car, after pre heat, daily temp at 5-10c, so not even cold yet. Have tried with and without single peddle braking, makes little or no impact. This Journey is taking 30/35mins so I would thing the car/battery is pretty well warmed up.

Observing the running consumption rate on dual carriageway at 60-70mph it doesn't drop much below 40kwh/100m.

We were expecting much closer to 220m (based on Polestars predictor). Most longer Journeys are to customers where the range/time is critical and don't have facility for recharge. So it looks like I would have to stop on the either leg of journey, just to do a 200m trip, which will extend the day by another 30+mins (assuming a charger available)

Most of these journeys will be the same few miles at each end on local roads and then the majority at dual carriageway 55-80mph depending on traffic.

Am I being pessimistic or realistic ?

Only have a few miles left before I need to reject the car and contemplate the ugly one, which would be a real shame as generally the car seems to be good ride.
No worries. The Tesla is not ugly, and the many first generation Polestar car woes don’t exist. Why put up with the ever growing list of problems on this forum from early adopters who took the risk and are now experiencing ongoing frustration? The sheet metal design of the P is simply not as distinctive as many seem to think it is. Once the supply chain and chip production issues are gone, there will be fierce competition, but in the meantime, your only choice is Tesla. You won’t be disappointed.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2 - Midnight, Leather, Launch ed. Tow-bar, 19”
66 Posts
No worries. The Tesla is not ugly, and the many first generation Polestar car woes don’t exist. Why put up with the ever growing list of problems on this forum from early adopters who took the risk and are now experiencing ongoing frustration? The sheet metal design of the P is simply not as distinctive as many seem to think it is. Once the supply chain and chip production issues are gone, there will be fierce competition, but in the meantime, your only choice is Tesla. You won’t be disappointed.
So many things to comment, but at least get your facts straight, Tesla m3 is definitely ugly..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Jimlee. See see in most of your replies on this forum, you go out of your way to say Tesla’s are better than Polestar.
Are you a plant? 🤷🏼

41 - 60 of 66 Posts