Polestar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Hello everyone, I've just joined this forum to be part of the Polestar enthusiasts community as a potential owner.

I currently drive a BMW i3 which I have owned since April 2019 which was bought as a "toe Dipper". I hedged my bets by getting one with a REX to keep my options and potential range anxiety in-check!

It has been a great car in which to transition into electric car ownership and has given me an appetite to move forward into full BEV ownership, be-it with some trepidation though! It has performed faultlessly and brilliantly and is a great drive, in fact, I am loathed to part with it tbh.

Although the i3 is a great car to own & drive it is ideally suited to urban motoring rather than motorway cruising. As we intend travelling further afield, with trips into Europe planned (now on hold due to this pandemic) I began researching for an appropriate grand tourer that will provide better comfort with a longer range than the i3.

With this in mind, I began researching options which inevitably led me to Tesla.

The model 3 was the only car to fit the bill that I could (just) afford, so I placed an order earlier in the year for a model 3 and began getting excited at the prospect of ownership but became increasingly aware of the extremely poor customer service experience offering from Tesla.

I had a number of issues with my order, spending days trying to contact Tesla to get these rectified. Tesla communication' skills are virtually non-existent, the only option remaining was by way of a ouija board. sadly I don't own one of these, my frustration reached fever-pitch so I cancelled the order.

I continued researching but none of the alternatives met my requirements so I ended up back at Tesla model 3. I decided to bite the bullet and decided to give Tesla another shot, so I re-ordered. My collection day was Monday 28th. In the meanwhile, still researching, it became apparent from owner forums and youtube owner videos that more and more quality issues were emerging with Tesla model 3's build quality. Panel gaps, poor paintwork ( mismatched panels, blemishes, unpainted areas), misaligned doors and trims, misaligned windscreen glass ( requiring replacement), damaged bodywork, inside there are increasing reports of squeeks and rattles, internal trim dirty/ falling-off, creases and marks on the seats etc etc, each day the list of defects on cars being collected by owners was growing. Tesla began fobbing-off owners who complained about these issues by stating that they are "within tolerance" and refusing to rectify these issues.

This is just not good enough for a company who purport to build "premium" vehicles.

... then came the most worrying of all.... missing nuts on critical front suspension components. Teslas' response to this major issue?......

Silence!

No explanation, no apology, No reassurance that they would be recalling cars to check for this issue.

I had now totally lost all confidence in Tesla in being able to supply me with a quality car that is worthy of my £50,000 nor a customer service experience that values customers brand loyalty, so I cancelled for the second time.

I became aware of the Polestar. Straight away this car looks a million dollars. Premium build quality, exquisite interior, oozes "premium" design and quality. Although I haven't yet seen or driven the car, I already had confidence that this car will be worthy of my £50k.

So after some dithering, I placed a deposit on a Polestar yesterday.

I admit that I still have range anxiety niggle at the back of my mind, mainly over lack of the supercharger network and having less range than the Tesla, I have "am I doing the right thing" thoughts on an hourly basis, particularly after my experience and anxiety with Tesla "experiences" and that Polestar is a newcomer to the EV marketplace employing.

I hope that I have made the best decision.

What I AM sure of is that I HAVE made the right decision cancelling the Tesla.

I will be reading this forum daily for Polestar owners' experiences with their cars, which hopefully won't be as anxiety-inducing as Tesla.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I am sure that if you read the various threads on the site you will get some answers to any queries you may have. Those of us who are shortly getting our P2 or have just had one delivered are pretty excited by it. (y)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Welcome R-Dash and a refreshingly honest appraisal of the Tesla experience. It makes any issues people are experiencing or anticipating on the Polestar seems very minor in comparison . Thanks for some perspective.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi R-dash.

I'm absolutely loving the car. I think it will be great for touring Europe but I agree with the range anxiety, as I still don't feel like there is a great network of chargers but I think there are plenty of chargers out there it's just we don't pay attention to them because we have never needed to. Google maps in the Polestar tells you where charging points are so you won't ha e to faff if using it to plan your journey (in theory).

I plan my first long journey this weekend as I have only been commuting to work so far, I will see how it goes and take it from there.

Good luck with it all and I hope it meets your expectations, for me it was all new I didn't even test drive it 1st and only found out about the 1000 km / 2 week return period when I signed the contract but loved it from day 1.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts