Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I’ve currently got a BMW 330e M Sport+ company car (which I love) but may be moving on shortly to a job with no company car scheme. Thinking about getting a Polestar 2 on a personal lease (probably just the standard version).

Any comments on:

1. Sound quality of the Harmon Kardon installation (I have it in my 330e and it’s decent enough).
2. Ride quality, if anyone has experienced a 330e (with adaptive suspension and 19“ wheels).
3. Having read a lot of reviews I was expecting a range of 230-250 miles but many people are indicating its < 200 and some quite a bit lower. I drive pretty gently and am quite happy bumbling along the motorway at 60 or so. A bit more “spirited” from time to time :)
4. View on best lease deals (from reputable vendors)? I seem to be at about £530/month for 48 months, 15k mile/year and £4K deposit. A bit more expensive than the BMW.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2 | Snow | Performance Package
26 Posts
I can't compare to a 330e but I could give some input on my experience with the car if that helps.

1. Harmen & Karon is OK, it really shines when you adjust the equalizer to fit your needs. It's mostly focused in the front so rear passengers don't experience the same as those in the front. I found the recent update that now includes a surround feature helps with the rear, but if you don't adjust the equalizer, it's bad.

2. I have the performance package so ride is stiff. It is adjustable but I have mine setting towards stiff. You do feel bumps but it's not back breaking.

3. As far as range, the lowest I got was 27.7kWh/100mi which, based on 75kwh usable battery equates to about 271mi range. That was on a 22mi mostly highway trip at 60mph. The key is to be smooth with power delivery and maintaining a consistent speed in my experience. I'd imagine the models without performance package could do better.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,197 Posts
Hi @Tricky6
Your figures are bang on what I found when I ordered back in July. For non-PP in Thunder, I pay £523/month, £3923 down on a 48 month lease. I managed to squeeze an extra 1000 miles out of them so 16k/year. You’ll need a few more miles than usual as you’ll be finding any excuse to drive. Good luck

·
Registered
825 Posts
1. Sound quality of the Harmon Kardon installation (I have it in my 330e and it’s decent enough).
It's excellent once tweaked. Factory settings are off (to my ears at least).

2. Ride quality, if anyone has experienced a 330e (with adaptive suspension and 19“ wheels).
I've had 3 x 5-series BMWs. First one was on non-adaptive M-Sport, second two were adaptive (which deletes the M-Sport springs on the 5-series - not sure if that's the case on the 3-series).

I now have a Polestar 2 with PP and have adjusted the dampers to the 'Comfort' setting. The ride is -way- worse than the two 5-series with adaptive dampers. It's a positive bone shaker over roads I didn't even know had bumps in them before. I know the ride in the 3-series is quite a bit harsher than the 5, so maybe it's more in line.

3. Having read a lot of reviews I was expecting a range of 230-250 miles but many people are indicating its < 200 and some quite a bit lower. I drive pretty gently and am quite happy bumbling along the motorway at 60 or so.
I'm getting 160-190 out of mine but I do 80mph on the motorway. If you really are happy at 60, then you'll easily hit in excess of 200. Also, pretty much all my driving has either been in the freezing cold, the pouring rain, or some combination of both - so it will only get better.

4. View on best lease deals (from reputable vendors)? I seem to be at about £530/month for 48 months, 15k mile/year and £4K deposit. A bit more expensive than the BMW.
That seems about right.

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Switched over from a 3 series with sports suspension. I loved that car. The driving dynamics on the Polestar are, to me, better in every way. Unlike others, at 9/10 in all four corners, I find the car still firm, but better on rough roads. The steering through the twisties is amazing. I'd love to track this car.

Reactions: Mick and Tricky6

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi @Tricky6
Your figures are bang on what I found when I ordered back in July. For non-PP in Thunder, I pay £523/month, £3923 down on a 48 month lease. I managed to squeeze an extra 1000 miles out of them so 16k/year. You’ll need a few more miles than usual as you’ll be finding any excuse to drive. Good luck
Thanks Dave, where did you order yours from? I can see you can also order directly from Polestar and they have some cars due in very shortly (a few weeks) but the rates are a bit higher.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's excellent once tweaked. Factory settings are off (to my ears at least).

I've had 3 x 5-series BMWs. First one was on non-adaptive M-Sport, second two were adaptive (which deletes the M-Sport springs on the 5-series - not sure if that's the case on the 3-series).

I now have a Polestar 2 with PP and have adjusted the dampers to the 'Comfort' setting. The ride is -way- worse than the two 5-series with adaptive dampers. It's a positive bone shaker over roads I didn't even know had bumps in them before. I know the ride in the 3-series is quite a bit harsher than the 5, so maybe it's more in line.

I'm getting 160-190 out of mine but I do 80mph on the motorway. If you really are happy at 60, then you'll easily hit in excess of 200. Also, pretty much all my driving has either been in the freezing cold, the pouring rain, or some combination of both - so it will only get better.

That seems about right.
Thanks. The 330e default settings are just right to my ears (although I don't use the surround option, unless listening to live music, it tends to take the "guts" out of the sound). I guess audio tone is quite subjective. What have you done with your sound settings?

I think I'm going to have to try and find one to drive to test out the ride quality, hopefully they'll start up test drives again in the next few months. The standard G20 3 series M Sport was a bit too harsh for my tastes (even on 18" non-run flats) but the adaptive option really sorts it out, despite the larger wheel size, it's a great blend of comfort and handling.

Doesn't sound like getting 250 miles is very realistic. Given that they're quoting 290+ I'd have hoped to get 10-15% less than that with normal driving. I've averaged nearly 80MPG in my 3 series over 16k miles which is a lot better than I thought I'd get. Must be getting old... ;-) As you say the cold weather does make a big difference. I can usually get 35 miles (don't laugh!) out of mine in the summer but nearer 25 in the winter. Just turning the climate control off can save 4-5 miles!?

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,197 Posts
Thanks Dave, where did you order yours from? I can see you can also order directly from Polestar and they have some cars due in very shortly (a few weeks) but the rates a bit higher.
Vanarama. It was a very disconcerting process. I’d hear nothing for long stretches of time, but in the end the car was delivered within a few days of the date I requested.
Yes, I think you’ll pay a premium for a shorter lead time. Depends how impatient you are.

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Tricky, there are ways to save a few miles and extend the range, but my experience is that it's almost never an issue. I just drive the way I enjoy the car and I'm almost never stressed about making it home or to the next charger.

Reactions: Kerbs

·
Registered
825 Posts
Thanks. The 330e default settings are just right to my ears (although I don't use the surround option, unless listening to live music, it tends to take the "guts" out of the sound). I guess audio tone is quite subjective. What have you done with your sound settings?
https://www.polestar-forum.com/threads/well-i-didnt-know-that.691/post-20224

Doesn't sound like getting 250 miles is very realistic. Given that they're quoting 290+ I'd have hoped to get 10-15% less than that with normal driving.
To be fair, it's a stupid bit of legislation forcing them to quote that ridiculous number.

Their calculator is a bit more realistic:-

https://www.polestar.com/uk/ownership/tools/range/

I can usually get 35 miles (don't laugh!) out of mine in the summer but nearer 25 in the winter. Just turning the climate control off can save 4-5 miles!?
On my 530e I could manage about 18 miles if I nannied it so you were doing well there!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
https://www.polestar-forum.com/threads/well-i-didnt-know-that.691/post-20224

To be fair, it's a stupid bit of legislation forcing them to quote that ridiculous number.

Their calculator is a bit more realistic:-

https://www.polestar.com/uk/ownership/tools/range/

On my 530e I could manage about 18 miles if I nannied it so you were doing well there!
Thanks.

Yeah, the 330e has a bigger battery than the 530e (or at least the older model, I think they've fitted the bigger battery to the 530e now). You also get another 40BHP in Xtraboost mode, near enough 300 BHP, not quite PS2 speed but it still shifts :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am not sure about the standard audio on the BMW but the upgraded package with the two underseat drivers knock spots off the Polestar audio. My current A6 with the Bose system equally outclasses the Polestar system. The sound of both the BMW and Audi systems have more bass, but not my taste but I tend to run the systems pretty flat with no increased bass eq. The stereo separation on the Polestar is very narrow and you tend to get a good presentation with older music or music that is more vocal emphasised than instrumental. You do get the feeling the singer is sitting in the middle of the dash, but it sounds like everything on the track is behind them. This is usually down to too much level on the centre speaker or poor directional mounting of HF drivers.
Don't get me wrong it is not bad but nowhere near as good as the Tesla M3 or many of the upgraded car packages. Saying that is absolutely wipes the floor with the new C class Mercedes system either standard or Burmeister systems. There is also the issue that much of the online content is horribly compressed and SQ isn't great at all. There are a few good ones but many tend to be pretty poor.
It is all completely personal taste so not saying I am correct, but in my opinion it isn't one of the best.
The worse of it is that I do many journeys in total silence as the 4G connectivity seems to be terrible where I live and mainly drive.

I would still have this car over anything else under £70k though. I absolutely love it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I couldn’t disagree more!

I’ve had six BMWs consecutively - all with the Harman Kardon audio.

The Polestar is absolutely fine and performs just as well if not better. It needs tinkering with and some people have had issues with poor audio until they chose the reset option and then adjusted the EQ. The default EQ curve is just plain weird.

The bass and imaging are better in the PS2 than my G30 5-series.

It’s way better than the Tesla M3. I really think there’s something wrong with yours if you think the tm3 is better.

I do agree with your ‘garbage in / garbage out’ point but Spotify on best quality is more than adequate.

·
Registered
Midnight Charcoal 20” nonPP waiting for delivery date
128 Posts
I have aways found it strange that people care what the steroids in a vehicle is like to this degree, basically no matter what it is fighting the road noise, the wind noise, drivetrain noise, and in an ICE the engine noise.

if you want good HI FI stay home or get some headphones. IN a car just listen to some tracks and enjoy the ride

·
Registered
Midnight Charcoal 20” nonPP waiting for delivery date
128 Posts
The point is it will never be good. save the money and spend it on the home system and enjoy the car for what it is and drive

·
Registered
2021 2
1,734 Posts
I am not sure about the standard audio on the BMW but the upgraded package with the two underseat drivers knock spots off the Polestar audio. My current A6 with the Bose system equally outclasses the Polestar system. The sound of both the BMW and Audi systems have more bass, but not my taste but I tend to run the systems pretty flat with no increased bass eq. The stereo separation on the Polestar is very narrow and you tend to get a good presentation with older music or music that is more vocal emphasised than instrumental. You do get the feeling the singer is sitting in the middle of the dash, but it sounds like everything on the track is behind them. This is usually down to too much level on the centre speaker or poor directional mounting of HF drivers.
Don't get me wrong it is not bad but nowhere near as good as the Tesla M3 or many of the upgraded car packages. Saying that is absolutely wipes the floor with the new C class Mercedes system either standard or Burmeister systems. There is also the issue that much of the online content is horribly compressed and SQ isn't great at all. There are a few good ones but many tend to be pretty poor.
It is all completely personal taste so not saying I am correct, but in my opinion it isn't one of the best.
The worse of it is that I do many journeys in total silence as the 4G connectivity seems to be terrible where I live and mainly drive.

I would still have this car over anything else under £70k though. I absolutely love it.
out of curiosity, are you using @stevelup ‘s EQ settings or the default?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I have aways found it strange that people care what the steroids in a vehicle is like to this degree, basically no matter what it is fighting the road noise, the wind noise, drivetrain noise, and in an ICE the engine noise.

if you want good HI FI stay home or get some headphones. IN a car just listen to some tracks and enjoy the ride
So I've got a pretty decent Audiolab/Naim/Yamaha/B&W/Wharfdale/BK Electronics hi-fi/AV system at home (circa £5-6k) and like to think I've got a reasonable ear. I think there is a massive difference in audio quality between cars. My 2019 330e has the HK upgrade and although it's not "home hi-fi" quality it gives me a lot of pleasure, say compared to the standard system in my wife's VW Passat GTE estate (which isn't totally awful (thinking back to my 1994 BMW 318i SE or my Porsche 968 Coupe!?) but isn't something that gets my toe tapping nor something that goes loud without the sound falling to pieces - I tried in vain to find one with the Dynaudio upgrade but to no avail).

Trouble with audio is that it's very subjective and suffers from diminishing returns the more you spend. I think the Volvo B&W system sounds pretty good but not sure it's £3k good, given HK was about £650. My wife thinks the audio in the BMW is much better than her Passat but wouldn't pay any more money for it...

Anyway, sounds like the Polestar system is likely similar to my Beemer but perhaps with some weird EQ.

Oh, can you plug in a USB stick and play HD audio (e.g. 192Khz, 24 bit ALAC/FLAC files etc.) or are all the USB ports just "charge only"?

Is there a surround sound on/off option on the Polestar? I really don't like HK's interpretation of surround sound from 2-channel audio. Luckily on the 330e it can be switched on/off and when on has about 5-6 gradients of "effect". The only place it works is listening to live albums where it does bring some sense of "being there" with the crowd noise...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts