Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. My car is being delivered on 3rd March. I am trying to plan ahead with a home "charger". I have read the threads on here (and other sites) and think I will go with a unit which can work with Octopus Agile and/or Go tariff. What has struck me is how expensive the wall boxes are! I have probably the easiest install (charger going right next to a fuse box in the garage with spare fuses available, main electric supply/meter is just the other side of the wall - but will need an earth rod). I seem to be around £550- £600 for a tethered unit. Has anyone done better than that? This one is for EO mini 2 tethered.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had the EO Mini Pro 2 installed at the beginning of last month. It came under their 'standard' install package of £595 (charger+installation+OLEV grant) - if you go through the process you can get an installation quote from them without having to pay anything up front.

The EO app is pretty terrible at the moment but I've been told by EO that a completely new version is coming out early this year which should improve things and add more functionality. You can schedule charging for Octopus Go (I'm on Go) but it doesn't support Agile. For Agile I think the Ohme charger is one of the only chargers that supports it at the moment?

Other than that it's been working pretty well. The lead time from ordering to installation was about 5 weeks for me so you might want to allow a month or so for installation.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I may have to consider the Ohme charger then. It also seems better value at £500 installed.
Does anyone have the Ohme and Agile tariff?

·
Registered
Void non-PP Tow Bar
257 Posts
I have had the Pod-Point Solo 7Kw installed (no car though yet), if you are in Scotland you can get up to £650 towards the purchase and install. So i am only ending up paying about £200...
Just waiting on the Electrical Cert from Pod Point.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have had the Pod-Point Solo 7Kw installed (no car though yet), if you are in Scotland you can get up to £650 towards the purchase and install. So i am only ending up paying about £200...
Just waiting on the Electrical Cert from Pod Point.
Yep we got the same one (tethered unti)

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2
615 Posts
You may want to review the agile tariff at present. Wholesale prices have been particularly high recently so I was on agile for 2 days before switching to Go. Some may be more aware than I of the fluctuations and the need for patience. Personally I liked the reassurance of a cheap tariff over a set period and one which was fixed.

referral code for Octopus below...just saying 👍🏻😜

·
Registered
702 Posts
We are frustratingly still on an old skool smart meter which isn't actually that smart as I understand and we need a v2 meter to get the Go or Agile, end of the week and we will be again chasing Octopus down over this...

·
Registered
62 Posts
We are frustratingly still on an old skool smart meter which isn't actually that smart as I understand and we need a v2 meter to get the Go or Agile, end of the week and we will be again chasing Octopus down over this...
How long have you been waiting on Octopus for the new meter? I have been waiting a month and not heard anything from them

·
Registered
702 Posts
We moved over to them end of Nov and nothing yet. Only got the car last week so haven't pushed as yet...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You may want to review the agile tariff at present. Wholesale prices have been particularly high recently so I was on agile for 2 days before switching to Go. Some may be more aware than I of the fluctuations and the need for patience. Personally I liked the reassurance of a cheap tariff over a set period and one which was fixed.

Which wall charger do you use and how much did it cost?

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2
615 Posts
I found them very quick and used a booking link they sent me. It was sorted within a week or so. Had an old Smets 1 meter which EDF were not all interested in replacing hence move to 🐙. Will see if I can dig out link for you.

·
Registered
non PP - Snow - Ordered Sep 20 - Delivery 01 Dec 20
94 Posts
I too am waiting on a smart meter. Blaming Covid for why they can't schedule an appointment until July (Scottish Power). That said even at 12p a KWH I'm paying far less per mile for electric fuel than I was for fossil fuel, so not letting it bother me.
I put in a Rolec Smart charger. Like you it was near my incoming power so I took a new set of tails off and installed a new consumer board and put myself in some new 13amp sockets while at it.
Being indoors (outdoor cupboard) and not exposed to the elements there was less worry about a separate earthing rod. I used the mains earth and the adjacent gas pipe for redundancy.
I did have an issue at first with the unit, where the slave relay wasn't engaging the contactor but Rolec's technicians were great at problem-solving it on the phone and it was a simple fix. Really helpful.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2
615 Posts
Bloody July, my you are patient. Octopus aren’t using COVID as the excuse and they gave plenty of slots to choose. Maybe I’m just tight but 12p per KWh vs 5p certainly made me switch to a better supplier. I do accept lockdown is mitigating against higher costs at present. Well done on your install skills @Stunto

·
Registered
10 Posts

Does the pod point automatically only kick in for the reduced cost period of the Octopus Go tariff?

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2
615 Posts
I have a Zappi and can set timed schedules to suit the tariff. Don’t know the Pod-Point but others on here will help. I know there are other intelligent chargers such as Ohme. The beauty of the Zappi for me was that it does require an earth rod and it sits on the opposite side of the wall to my consumer unit so was easy install.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I had my meter and tails changed by Octopus, and then the fuse upgraded by UKPN, and then the Ohme fitted. The only slow bit was UKPN, but then not too slow really. Then... they apologised for being slow and sent me a hamper!?

Anyway, none of it was painful, and all done before the car arrived

·
Registered
Void non-PP Tow Bar
257 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Zappi and can set timed schedules to suit the tariff. Don’t know the Pod-Point but others on here will help. I know there are other intelligent chargers such as Ohme. The beauty of the Zappi for me was that it does require an earth rod and it sits on the opposite side of the wall to my consumer unit so was easy install.
I’ve got the pod point and octopus energy (just waiting for the car now). Thanks for the input though

1 - 20 of 34 Posts