Polestar Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Why does the kWh left bottom corner of the display read 0 ? :unsure:...

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Why does the kWh left bottom corner of the display read 0 ? :unsure:...
Because I don't have the car yet and nothing substantial has drawn power from the outlet. Only the LED lights in the charger and a bit for wifi are pulling current at 2.3 watts.

It'll be interesting to see how the numbers match with other readouts when I actually charge the car, eh?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Because I don't have the car yet and nothing substantial has drawn power from the outlet. Only the LED lights in the charger and a bit for wifi are pulling current at 2.3 watts.

It'll be interesting to see how the numbers match with other readouts when I actually charge the car, eh?
I was just being cheeky ;)....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I got carried away, ran conduit and installed a 60A dedicated breaker.

View attachment 1158
Same here, 60 amp breaker and 6 gauge wire. This charger should provide 48 amps if the P2 software allows. This is my 3rd charger and all were installed by me, electrical isn't too tricky if you do some reading.

·
Registered
61 Posts
How long was the run and what wire gage?
Current code in my area calls for 4 gauge for in-wall NM (the plastic sheathed bundle type). If running individual conductors in a conduit, 6 gauge. I ran 4 gauge NM bundle through the wall about 10 feet, from the breaker box to an electrical box on the garage wall, then ran 3/4” conduit from that box to the charger. Pulled the 6 gauge conductors through. Conduit goes up one wall, along the ceiling, down another wall, about 40 feet.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Current code in my area calls for 4 gauge for in-wall NM (the plastic sheathed bundle type). If running individual conductors in a conduit, 6 gauge. I ran 4 gauge NM bundle through the wall about 10 feet, from the breaker box to an electrical box on the garage wall, then ran 3/4” conduit from that box to the charger. Pulled the 6 gauge conductors through. Conduit goes up one wall, along the ceiling, down another wall, about 40 feet.
Excellent! (I had a longer run and used 4 AWG the whole way.)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Anyone having home charging problems? I have a Zappi fitted. Set it for timed charge overnight. When I checked my phone, as you do, at 2.30am nothing was happening. The car was indicating a big red error message. No obvious way of seeing what the error was though. I had to remove the cable and changed the setting to manual on the Zappi. It then charged ok to the designated 80%. Retried this morning with the timer. Same result. Red error! Zappi CS indicated that the message on their charger of “charge delay” indicates a car communication problem. Couldn’t help further at the moment as the model is so new. Help!

·
Registered
46 Posts
No obvious way of seeing what the error was though. I had to remove the cable and changed the setting to manual on the Zappi. It then charged ok to the designated 80%. Retried this morning with the timer. Same result. Red error! Zappi CS indicated that the message on their charger of “charge delay” indicates a car communication problem. Couldn’t help further at the moment as the model is so new. Help!
It might be the initial handshake. There have been reports that you need to hold the cable to reduce the downward pressure on the connector until the handshake between the car and charger finishes. If you get a green light on the car then it should be fine. I don't have a car, so can't comment further than that, but it may be this?

Or change the minimum charge in amps in the car to 32amps? It could be limiting the charge level to below what the charger can deliver?

EDit: Just read the post properly. Not sure the PoleStar supports timed charging yet. I think this is one of the OTA updates which is due at the end of the year

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for that. I was thinking that the timed charge from the car side of things came later but the Zappi can be used as a timer. Thought this might be ok. I did try holding the connector but the error message still came up. Oh and I did change the charge amps to 32. A bit of a learning curve all round!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for that. I was thinking that the timed charge from the car side of things came later but the Zappi can be used as a timer. Thought this might be ok. I did try holding the connector but the error message still came up. Oh and I did change the charge amps to 32. A bit of a learning curve all round!
They said the timed charge may work depending on the charger, but I'm wondering how the handshake works after a couple of hours. If the car detects no charge and goes to sleep (for want of a better word), then maybe it needs a complete handshake again to wake up and charge and this could be the issue?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had a Zappi installed last week and so I have done two middle of the night (cheap electric) charges with no issue.
DM me if you would like to see about comparing notes? (y)

41 - 60 of 76 Posts