Polestar Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
I did try timed charging from a 13 amp socket and a time switch. That did work, though for some reason it did not stop at the limit I set. That could be because I opened and shut card doors after setting it all up.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Having received great advice and encouragement I have now worked out that it is the zappi to polestar ev connection I need to get just right. I have been quite careful and gently but firmly seated the two. Not sure if anyone else has had problems like this with either polestar or any other ev. So thanks.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2
75 Posts
Bazza I have PMd Anglodude as I have the same Zappi. Car arriving Monday so just want to know any hints/tips before she lands. Don’t want charging issues day one!

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Bazza I have PMd Anglodude as I have the same Zappi. Car arriving Monday so just want to know any hints/tips before she lands. Don’t want charging issues day one!

Any help appreciated.
I am an EV newcomer. However the only thing I have learned regarding the charging is to ensure the connection is firmly and correctly in place. A firm handshake! Not sure how the individual connectors are involved in the process of initialisation. But if the communication is not perfect I guess problems occur. The zappi itself seems to have some good charging options though. Not long now then. It is fun to drive. :)

·
Registered
694 Posts
Basically these two top pins are used for communication. These are used for the "handshake" ... Car meet Charger ... Charger say hello to Car ... now be nice to each other.

If the cable is heavy or the socket a little loose then gravity will pull the connection down.

Obviously this causes the top pins to be pulled out a fraction making the "handshake" weaker. In some cases this will cause the charger or car to believe something is not right and give an error.

To solve this just hold the charger un place until the Handshaking is complete. Bjorn did a video of new chargers with the cables that come from overhead ... these types of chargers I do not believe are in the UK but hopefully suppliers will start to add them, as it's not only the Polestar that's having this issue.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The locking notch is on the top, I don't understand how the cable can be pulled down enough for the handshaking pins to disconnect.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
thank you, this is helpful. I believe this may be the connection issue we have with our KIA Soul EV sometimes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Apart from the PE (earth) pin, those top two pins are designed to make last / break first when the plug is put in as well - so they're shorter than the rest of the pins. All it needs is a bit of wear on the connector, or even just some poor tolerances, and it's easy to see how this could be a problem.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Having spent a fair amount of time reading about j1772 signaling and converting a Tesla home charger to type 1 connector, I find this whole discussion interesting. The type 1 connector of course has the communication pins on the bottom, but I have a hard time imagining that the type 2 connector is so poor that it wouldn’t be able to hold up.

I’d have half a mind to whip up a probe circuit to see what the proximity and pilot in the car are doing in response to the standard wall connector signaling.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I did notice when I plugged the charger into the car, I thought it fitted well. The green light came on, but no flashing. So realised it was not charging. I pushed again, very hard, and the charger went in another 10mm and all was well. The green flashing light.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I did notice when I plugged the charger into the car, I thought it fitted well. The green light came on, but no flashing. So realised it was not charging. I pushed again, very hard, and the charger went in another 10mm and all was well. The green flashing light.
I have realised that I have to keep firm pressure on and there seems to be a click as it locks in place. I haven't had any more problems with the zappi timed charge either. (y)

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have realised that I have to keep firm pressure on and there seems to be a click as it locks in place. I haven't had any more problems with the zappi timed charge either. (y)
Interesting it was the 'proper charger' that needed more initial force. The 10amp granny charger never had any issues. A further to the story, I had actually started the charge at Tesco in Bicester for my 2 weekly shop. Gone to the restaurant for breakfast. I thought over the charging lights and realised it was not running. Checked the app several times, and the charger never said it was in use. Went back, changed to another charger, and realised that one wasn't working properly. Then gave the plug a really heavy push into the car, it slipped in further and started charging immediately. I expect it will be easier in the future, (Except I have bought a new 32 amp cable).

For home still waiting for the installation of the charger. Meter tails were upgraded to 25mm today. Now need Network Power to change the fuse, why can't the same guys do both. Then my electrician needs to come to install the charger. This is delayed because we are doing the kitchen lights as well, and a builder is involved with the work. Not an issue as charging at 6-10 amps not a problem for the number of miles I do.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts