Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone managed (or even tried) to programme the Homelink buttons under the rear view mirror with their gates/garage doors?

I have looked at the Homelink website and it doesn't look like my gates (DEA) are covered, but I wondered if anyone had bothered trying this yet?

I saw that Vegard Nilson had this working in a video I watched at the weekend.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I set mine up - the one that isn't on a rolling code - by holding the garage door's transmitter right next to the rear-view mirror and pressing the button on the transmitter and the rear-view at the same time till the little house on the mirror lit solid green.
The rolling code one would have required moving my husband's vehicle and getting a ladder so I could press the button on the opener itself, so I will do that another day...

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I set mine up - the one that isn't on a rolling code - by holding the garage door's transmitter right next to the rear-view mirror and pressing the button on the transmitter and the rear-view at the same time till the little house on the mirror lit solid green.
The rolling code one would have required moving my husband's vehicle and getting a ladder so I could press the button on the opener itself, so I will do that another day...
Ok, I'll try it - you never know!!!

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
867 Posts
Ok, I'll try it - you never know!!!
I've set mine up, not for a garage door but to a custom plugin I wrote for homebridge to trigger HomeKit actions.

It's range is very limited, which is a common complaint for HomeLink devices from what I gather, but works for me.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I've set up all 3 for garage doors. They're encoded so I had to get out the ladder and use the button on the door lift motor panel, but that worked just fine. Had to do the same thing with my wife's Buick when we first bought the house, so I was already familiar with the process.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, more for me to do then, I'll start nice and easy - and do what @ArcElectric did and go from there (of course not expecting much as my brand is not listed but seems like it is worth a try).

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No joy for mine. I did the press both buttons at once and the little house (with an arrow) appeared on the rear view mirror but it just stayed flashing Amber. I guess the Homelink website was not lying... Back to seeing if I can get my Remootio to work with Hey Google or (and a real first world problem here) I actually pick up the fob I have in the car - oh my the horror!!!

·
Registered
P2 Moon Jan 2021
95 Posts
I managed to pair the gates at work with my home link button, i was pleased with myself.
drove up pushed button and it worked “ONCE” not been able to make it work again and not able to pair 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
770 Posts
I've set up all 3 for garage doors. They're encoded so I had to get out the ladder and use the button on the door lift motor panel, but that worked just fine. Had to do the same thing with my wife's Buick when we first bought the house, so I was already familiar with the process.
Yup, same for me. Worked fine.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I moved to making mine be controlled by Google which is cool, I won’t worry about the Homelink (for now).

·
Registered
193 Posts
I moved to making mine be controlled by Google which is cool, I won’t worry about the Homelink (for now).
Yep, did the same. So easy now with the Meros Controller via Google just working out how to tie it into Home / Away via Nest to open door automatically.

·
Registered
2021 P2 PP Snow
31 Posts
It's range is very limited, which is a common complaint for HomeLink devices from what I gather, but works for me.
Hmm, what’s the intended/expected range for HomeLink?
Mine works from approximately 25 meters away which seems reasonable enough.

·
Registered
664 Posts
How? Tried linking my smart garage door to Google assistant on my phone (which works) but the car’s Google assistant does not support that functionality. Bummer.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I can also control mine with Google also. But I did it in a very complicated way. I have a z-wave relay on the garage door wall switches and use OpenHab for my home automation. I use the Google Assistant add-on so I can control appropriately metadata-tagged device channels from Google Home. This also works fine from Google Assistant. My wife has a love/hate relationship with our heavily automated home. :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,867 Posts
That's good. I was worried the tech level of the forum's users was slipping ;)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can also control mine with Google also. But I did it in a very complicated way. I have a z-wave relay on the garage door wall switches and use OpenHab for my home automation. I use the Google Assistant add-on so I can control appropriately metadata-tagged device channels from Google Home. This also works fine from Google Assistant. My wife has a love/hate relationship with our heavily automated home. :LOL:
Ha ha, I have to say the love hate relationship is similar in our home (my wife allows me to play but then gets a little bit cross when something doesn't work). Saying that she did think the "Hey Google, open the gates is cool!!! I'll take that as a win. Even better when I told her I have connected our robot vacuum and so can do the hoovering whilst driving - LOL!!! ON a serious note, I use a little device (Remootio) which I added to the gates and garage doors last year (which operates from Bluetooth, Internet or Wifi), lovely bit of kit and not too tricky to add.

I almost sure at some point it will all break and that will cause some stress, ho hum...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey Mick, can you drop over to my place? My VCR is flashing 12:00, and I can’t figure out how to change it. 🤔

·
Registered
95 Posts
I can confirm that I can open/close my Hörmann garage door with the Homelink button.

Steps to follow
1. Get in the car, push the remote of the garage door and the Homelink button you want to program.
2. Keep holding it until the green home icon in the mirror flashes
3. Older Hörmann control units might need opening, newer ones have a program button on the exterior.
Push the learning button TWICE so channel 2 is selected. It's a small button on the right or left side of the circuit board or a P-button on the newer ones. First press shows a red led above the button, second press shows a red led under the button.
4. Get back in the car within 10 seconds and press the programmed Homelink button once
Your garage door should open/close.

Reactions: Kerbs
1 - 20 of 21 Posts