Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Snow, slate, ordered Nov 2020, VIN 10xxx
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just brought my P2 home before the cold and snow hit the U.S. East Coast. I read through earlier posts on extreme cold and the early issues with the 12v. This is my first ev and this forum has been great so I hope you don't mind if I ask for confirmation on the following:
1) If possible, I should keep my P2 plug into the 240volt charger all the time with the max set at the recommended 90%.
2) Before driving it in the cold, I should start to pre-heat the cabin a bit, but while on battery, seat and steering wheel heating is much more efficient.

Am I correct to assume that if the P2 is plugged in, it will protect the 12v from draining to the point of not being able to start the car? Even if the car is plugged in, the main battery is not heated. Only when I start driving will it warm up.

Thanks for any guidance.

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
1. Yes! It's safe to keep it plugged in and charged. I prefer to 80%, but 90% is fine.
2. Preheating while connected is just fine though of course you're paying a bit to heat an empty car. Doing so means the car will use less battery when you disconnect it and get going.
3. Yes. If the car is plugged in, the 12 volt battery shouldn't drain out even if the mysterious software glitch occurs.
4. Exactly how the battery temperature is maintained is still not clear to me, but the consensus here is that it is not significantly warmed by preconditioning the car. The battery will warm itself when charging or discharging. Hence, a rather clever workaround posted recently is to not charge fully in advance, but save some charging, say 10%, until about an hour before you leave. A warmer battery performs better and is less likely to be damaged in the long run.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1. Yes! It's safe to keep it plugged in and charged. I prefer to 80%, but 90% is fine.
2. Preheating while connected is just fine though of course you're paying a bit to heat an empty car. Doing so means the car will use less battery when you disconnect it and get going.
3. Yes. If the car is plugged in, the 12 volt battery shouldn't drain out even if the mysterious software glitch occurs.
4. Exactly how the battery temperature is maintained is still not clear to me, but the consensus here is that it is not significantly warmed by preconditioning the car. The battery will warm itself when charging or discharging. Hence, a rather clever workaround posted recently is to not charge fully in advance, but save some charging, say 10%, until about an hour before you leave. A warmer battery performs better and is less likely to be damaged in the long run.
Thank you !! I appreciate your response.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shari of Polestar NYC responded to my question on whether keeping the car plugged in will maintain the 12V battery:

So the 12V battery is actually charged via the 27-module battery suite when the car is running.
However, if you habitually let the car sit for a few days, then you may want to get a Trickle Charger, which will make sure the 12v doesn't drain. Or, the other option is to turn the car on during that stretch of days. In a nutshell, so long as you regularly drive, your 12V should remain charged!

·
Registered
178 Posts
In a nutshell, so long as you regularly drive, your 12V should remain charged!
Hmm...that doesn’t bode well for long-term airport parking, even if plugged in. Hopefully they’ll update the logic to ensure the 12v battery stays topped off when charging/plugged in.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm...that doesn’t bode well for long-term airport parking, even if plugged in. Hopefully they’ll update the logic to ensure the 12v battery stays topped off when charging/plugged in.
Yes - I am not an expert but it would seem if the 12V runs monitors stuff while the car is parked, it should be able to programmed to monitor its own charge level and before it gets too low, it should be able to open a circuit and draw a bit of charge from the big battery. If it charges itself while driving, it should be able to charge itself while parked. Since I am not planning any long parking at an airport soon, this is not a near term concern but it seems like all EVs need to solve this issue post pandemic.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,867 Posts
Shari of Polestar NYC responded to my question on whether keeping the car plugged in will maintain the 12V battery:

So the 12V battery is actually charged via the 27-module battery suite when the car is running.
However, if you habitually let the car sit for a few days, then you may want to get a Trickle Charger, which will make sure the 12v doesn't drain. Or, the other option is to turn the car on during that stretch of days. In a nutshell, so long as you regularly drive, your 12V should remain charged!
That is nonsense. Others have put 12V monitors on the battery and car tops it up periodically whether or not it's plugged in. I've seen it do it - the Polestar logo in the roof becomes lit and you can see some backlighting on the dashboard.

More disinformation from people who just guess, or ask others who just guess. (And that's absolutely not a criticism of you in any way, @LexZ , just to be clear!)

·
Super Moderator
1,354 Posts
Yep, I've monitored mine and it behaves perfectly. The DC-DC converter kicks in as necessary regardless as to whether or not the vehicle is connected to a charger.

I don't doubt that there may still be software bugs that can lead to unexpected scenarios arising, but fundamentally this is now fixed.

It was most definitely borked at the beginning though and only appeared to top up the 12V battery if the vehicle was fully awake. I think this coupled with the HVCH issue which caused the fans to run full blast was what was causing the big problems in the few weeks after launch.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is nonsense. Others have put 12V monitors on the battery and car tops it up periodically whether or not it's plugged in. I've seen it do it - the Polestar logo in the roof becomes lit and you can see some backlighting on the dashboard.

More disinformation from people who just guess, or ask others who just guess. (And that's absolutely not a criticism of you in any way, @LexZ , just to be clear!)
Thank you and I much appreciate your response. It always seemed strange to me that the 12v battery’s charge could not be managed. Your response is not only more logical than what I received from Polestar but it also provides greater confidence in what I am finding is a truly outstanding car

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,867 Posts
My pleasure, and thanks to @stevelup for providing concrete evidence to back it up (y)

Reactions: Mick

·
Registered
293 Posts
I can add, over Christmas, my Polestar was not used for almost 2 weeks. No 12V issues. (I've never had one) The main battery had been charged to 90% and was still showing 90% despite not being plugged in. So there should be no issues parked at an airport.

I might add that two out of my three ICE vehicles had to be charged after a 7-week idle period when I went on vacation. The third, Ford Focus still started.

·
Registered
Nov ‘20, void, slate, 19” non-PP, tow bar
9 Posts
Thank you and I much appreciate your response. It always seemed strange to me that the 12v battery’s charge could not be managed. Your response is not only more logical than what I received from Polestar but it also provides greater confidence in what I am finding is a truly outstanding car
I have had 2 episodes with my 12V battery. The first was a “critical fault” error, although there was no outward indication that anything was amiss (other than the message). The solution for that was apparently the January software update. Then a couple of weeks later (during our week of winter in Scotland) after not driving it for a week, it appeared dead - I.e., couldn’t even get into car without manual key. Recovery vehicle came and the driver first brought the 12V booster. After both of us poured over the manual on how to actually access the 12V battery, we managed to remove the necessary panels and hook it up - it’s not the easiest and the plastic clips seem a bit fragile - especially in the cold).
As soon as it was hooked up, I am sure I heard a click and everything came back to life. We didn’t charge the battery and it sat for another couple of days before I could take it out (I did plug in my wall charger despite it being at my setting of 80% and not having apparently drained at all). And I was told by Polestar that the wall charger does not charge the 12V battery.
But regardless, I haven’t seen the issue again, and the battery seemed like it just needed a wake-up from the cold weather hibernation it appears to have entered.
I too worry about leaving it in an airport parking lot for a few weeks without packing a 12V booster.
The recovery driver did ask me to see if the engine would “start” before she left, so I guess not a lot of EV’s have required recovering to date.

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
I bought an inexpensive jump start unit for just such a scenario... Just in case. It fits easily with the cables in the frunk.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm in northern Sweden and we've had a real (cold) winter this year. I've had no 12v issues at all.

·
Super Moderator
1,354 Posts
I honestly don't think there's anything you can (or indeed should) do to try and mitigate 12V issues.

You should not even need to think about it. I don't know - pulling a figure out of my behind here but - >99.99% of people have had no problem whatsoever.

There were definitely issues early on, but I'm not convinced it is even worth considering any more.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts