Polestar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I took my first longer drive where I really needed to rely on Google Maps.
I have not been able to resolve a number of annoying limitations.

1) Map orientation

The map always keeps its orientation to the North. This is very annoying. If you drive South every left becomes right etc, you know what I mean. I could not find any setting to make the map automatically rotate in the direction in which the car is driving. Even the most basic GPS systems have this functionality. Nothing in the manual, nothing online on support.google.com/maps. Anybody have a solution ?

2) Adding stops

You can add stops, but you can't rearrange them. I have not been able to drag the last stop up and make it e.g. stop 2 and then drag another stop to make it last. Again any other GPS can do this. What am I missing ?

3) Show route overview

Once the stops are in, you have to click the circle/arrow shape with the dot to get a pop-up screen to see the stops, but you can't seem to get a proper route overview with all the stops. What am I missing ?

4) Portability

I thought that the strength of having the same Google Account was that if at home you look on your computer on Google Maps, logged into the same Google Account, that once you then get in the car and look at your history you could actually call up that route and get driving. I can't find out how to do that and I seem to have to enter everything from scratch.

Not impressed by Google Maps for Android Automotive, or is it just me who doesn't know how to use it properly ?

EDIT : The P2 manual refers to support.google.com/maps for more information, but that's not where you can find any info about Google Maps for Android Automotive. You need to consult the help center : g.co/mapsincar. But that only confirmed my suspicion that none of the above is actually available. 1) Is actually a safety issue. Twice I wanted to turn to the right, whereas my upcoming turn was to the left because the map is upside down. The driver remains responsible, but an upside down map doesn't really help.
Oddly enough on g.co/myactivity I can see all the locations that I recently entered on my computer AND on the P2. The P2 however only sees the locations that had been entered previously from the P2.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Click anywhere on the map and some icons will appear along the right side. Tap the compass icon and the map toggles between North up and your direction up. Your dashboard display should always be driver orientation.

·
Registered
California
604 Posts
1) Yes you can tap on the compass to have the map orient with your direction up, but then it’s in a pretty strong angled perspective. As far as I’ve been able to tell you can’t keep it flat 2D and have your direction up. Options are: Flat 2D + North up or Perspective almost-3D + direction up/forward.

2) I ran into this as well. My spouse (who used to work at Google) immediately knew to always add the stops in order, which is pretty lame when you’re trying to add something in the middle, yes. :/

It really feels like there should be a lot more back-and-forth between Google Maps the phone app and the Google Maps in our vehicle. But I’ve not discovered much other than my bookmarked places coming through.

I also wish Maps would make it easy to account for how much remaining battery I’ll need to get to my final stop (usually home). Issue (2) makes this especially difficult. What if I’m currently in a place where there’s easy access to a fast charger, but my destination is nowhere near one, and destination → home is also far from one? Would rather be told ahead of time to top up.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Click anywhere on the map and some icons will appear along the right side. Tap the compass icon and the map toggles between North up and your direction up. Your dashboard display should always be driver orientation.
🙏! 1) just had to be simple. My excuse is that my teens also couldn’t find it 😉

·
Registered
2021 2
2,586 Posts
2) I ran into this as well. My spouse (who used to work at Google) immediately knew to always add the stops in order, which is pretty lame when you’re trying to add something in the middle, yes. :/
I wish we could edit stops and move them around just like we can on desktop or phone Google maps instances. Not sure why they couldn’t enable the same app functions as they have for iOS Google maps for instance.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
There is a alway to see your resent search history, plus any saved locations from your Google account.

You need to activate the privacy setting in the settings for Google assistant.

If you have trouble I'll pop out the car and take some snap shots.

Reactions: rgledhill

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
I had success saying "Add Newmarket to navigation.". It was a couple of weeks ago, but I recall being pleased because it inserted it along the route. I didn't try multiple additions.

I agree it should be easy. Did anybody try a touch and drag operation?

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,877 Posts
I definitely see recent searches from my phone turning up on Google Maps when I start it up - I think @GDank 's hit the nail on the head there as at one point I went through and made sure they were all turned on. When I first got the car, my phone had no internet connection (terrible phone coverage in our village) though surprisingly the car did. I had to put in a one-time code from my phone to pair it with the car. Unfortunately doing it this way didn't tick the privacy settings boxes so seeing recent searches didn't work until I went through and turned them all on.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hi
There is a alway to see your resent search history, plus any saved locations from your Google account.

You need to activate the privacy setting in the settings for Google assistant.

If you have trouble I'll pop out the car and take some snap shots.
@GDank . Tx. Can’t make that work. Google assistant and google maps have all authorizations on. I posted below all my settings.
I tried going to google maps on my iPhone and on the computer whilst logged in to my google account. I can create saved destinations and those I can see in the car but any recent searches on computer or phone don’t show up under recent in the car no matter what my settings are. What am I doing wrong here ?

Edit : strangely enough recent searches in the car do show up on my phone and computer but not the other way round.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
You need to click on where you would manually type in the google address for searching. Do not click on the little down arrow, that only brings up a few options.

Click the "GOOGLE MAPS". This brings up another screen ... which is annoying if you just want to type something in, as it's one more press in the "search all destinations area"

Sorry not the best picture ... I stole it of a YouTube video.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You need to click on where you would manually type in the google address for searching. Do not click on the little down arrow, that only brings up a few options.

Click the "GOOGLE MAPS". This brings up another screen ... which is annoying if you just want to type something in, as it's one more press in the "search all destinations area"

View attachment 3530

Sorry not the best picture ... I stole it of a YouTube video.

View attachment 3529
Was doing exactly that but nothing showing up.
got your message, gave up, went to have my lunch. Came back, tried one last time And of course now all there 🥵. Thanks ! Finally.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts