Polestar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, and thanks again to anyone who contributed on another post I made, helping me choose my interior colour. Eventually went with void (tbh I was very disappointed with the exterior choices, would have loved a really nice bold bright blue (BMW Estoril or Audi Sepang)) and charcoal interior with performance pack. I enjoy cleaning / detailing cars (well, my own at least😂) so black hopefully won’t be an issue and I am into some home DA polishing action if needed, so hopefully it’ll look nice and shiny more often than not. Special thanks to Markbhai (forum member) for allowing me to view (and drive) his earlier this week as that really did help me decide to go ahead with the purchase.

By all means ignore the self indulgent crap below - the short version is, I’ve only 4 weeks to wait until it arrives.

This last week’s been hectic.....

Friday - ordered a pre-configured car to the spec I would have if I’d started an order from new, mainly so I could get it mid March not June / July and trade in my current car before the MOT, ridiculous £450 road tax, warranty etc are all due.

Rung round local dealers / WBAC / Motorway etc to see if anyone was interested in purchasing my current car (2018 Audi S5) and what prices I’d get (£25k - £27k which I was quite pleased with). Polestar could do with partnering up here to make the buying process easier IMHO, as sourcing £50k and then spending weeks without a car while finances clear etc. is a right PITA! I’ve got access to the missus Nissan Juke as she’s a school teacher working from home until 8th March, but if I didn’t, this whole process wouldn’t have been possible. I’m also a teacher but I am in school again from next week, so need daily transport and it would be 3 buses and 2 hours rather than a 20 minute car journey.

Sorted out loan for difference between S5 value + savings and P*2 (money is so cheap at the moment - 2.8% APR is ridiculous, £16k is costing me £350 in interest over 18 months!).

Private plate removed from current car (Audi S5) in preparation for selling and start praying DVLA send my V5 back ASAP so I can sell it before the end of the week.

Rang insurance to remove PP and enquire about increase for Polestar - no charge for changing reg (thanks to LV for that) and only £18 (£3 + £15 admin charge (boo LV for that) for the remaining 4 months cover).

Saturday - paperwork emailed by Polestar, all completed and signed - very strange experience doing it this way rather than being sat opposite a dealer going back and forth to get me the best deal he’s ever got for any customer ever from his sales manager 😂. Regardless of the ridiculousness of this scenario, I do find it quite enjoyable (especially if you’ve already used AutoEbid or Carwow and know exactly what a good deal is) and also reassuring to be able to ask questions and see the bloody car too!

Sunday - messaged Polestar as still no deposit had been taken despite all paperwork / contracts being signed etc.

Monday - received VIN 20*** so happy it’s not been sat in a field somewhere since last year gathering dust.

Test drove a Tesla Model 3 (contactless at Tesla Stockport) standard range plus (was looking at long range but they didn’t have one) and I loved the instant torque, and the whole car actually. The infotainment screen was immense (love Google maps with satellite view (come on Polestar add this soon please)) and so easy to use. I know I probably shouldn’t say this on here, but it was much nicer inside (and out) than I’d expected and if I don’t like the Polestar when it’s delivered (thanks to those on another thread I’d started, clarifying the returns process for Polestar) I will be more than happy to give Elon my money.

Stopped at the Trafford Centre and went to Boots (to get some Calpol for the little ‘un) and wasn‘t (honestly) going to have a look through the windows of Polestar Space 😂 which they’d bloody emptied, so saw sod all!

Did my last decent drive in my S5 to see Markbhai (about an 80 mile round trip) who very kindly let me drive his P*2 and have a look at the interior as I really was unsure of how I’d feel about it this. Still not 100% convinced about the wetsuit look 😁 as my S5 has a beautiful magma red leather and carbon fibre interior.

Tuesday - still no news re deposit so rang CS. Advisor spoke to finance department and evidently Polestar had taken it out, and then immediately refunded it as all the paperwork was signed - nothing at all showing on my bank statements but not to worry.

V5 returned from DVLA and appointment booked for WBAC this Friday - best price by about £500 so am prepared for a little bartering if needs be.

Allocated a registration number by Polestar.

Today - offered delivery of March 2nd 😁 but had to decline 🥲 as finances possibly wouldn’t be in place by then, so better safe than sorry! It‘s now moved to 18th March (I waited 9 months for my S5 so 4 weeks for the Polestar should be relatively easy - except for having to ask to borrow the good lady’s Juke every once in a while).

Transferred £100 as test payment to Polestar UK and now waiting for that to show on my Polestar account before transferring 3 separate payments for the balance - as bank have a £20k per day limit unless I go in myself and do a transfer in person - which they‘ll charge me for the privilege of doing.

Ordered aluminium pedals (eBay) and brushed aluminium wrap (Amazon) for centre console (thanks to YouTube videos from Spectrum Geeks) which should now be here in plenty of time and ready to go on, on day one. I’ve got nothing against the look of the piano black just can’t see it standing up too well to daily use and the mods both look really easy. I’m also going to vinyl wrap the silver strips on the rear bumper and front grille to give it that totally stealth look.

Spent the rest of the day researching home charging points and still non the wiser, although have taken various photos and videos and sent them to smarthomecharge.do.uk for a quote on an Ohme charger if that’s what I go for.

Really looking forward to ownership and as I only do about 120 miles a week currently, I’ll be temporarily charging using 3-pin or local PodPoint (free at Tesco near where I work) until the home charger is sorted and installed.

Anyone who’s read this to the end, thanks, and well done, it’s much appreciated. Looking forward to sharing experiences, tips and advice in the coming years!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome ProfessorCook. I too hope I’ll enjoy it, am pretty sure I will. Seems that the whole process of online buying isn’t exactly Amazon like and is full of strange happenings!

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
It's been painful for us, but I think it's beginning to smooth out.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Welcome, and your usage sounds pretty ideal for a BEV. Much like me you can just charge at home once you get your home charger and have enough range to not worry about public charging. For any longer trip you can plan out your route using the tools many have posted about here. Re the P*2 vs the Model 3 - I never test drove either one but I'm very happy with my choice. I had a Model 3 specced out multiple times and came very close to putting in my order but there were just some things that caused me to hesitate. Now I'm glad I did. Hopefully you come to the same conclusion.

I look forward to hearing about your experience with the car, and photos of your mods!

·
Registered
2021 2
2,566 Posts
Thanks for the welcome ProfessorCook. I too hope I’ll enjoy it, am pretty sure I will. Seems that the whole process of online buying isn’t exactly Amazon like and is full of strange happenings!
fortunately for all of us the folks who engineered the car in terms of driving characteristics are a separate group from those who developed their sales and distribution infrastructure.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Glad you commented about the Trafford Centre Space being empty - I was going to detour there on Friday. My Polestar's due to be with me some time next month and I've not even seen one in real life yet! It's been more like buying something off Amazon than buying a car; no viewing, no test drive, no poring over the extras, no endless cups of tea from the dealer - I guess this is the future though. If I was a franchised dealership I'd be worried.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,867 Posts
The Polestar demonstrator cars from the spaces are being allocated to local companies who are doing deliveries to people who are shielding. I had an email from Polestar last week asking me to nominate a few, which I've done - yet to hear if any of them have been lucky enough, but if so, they get a Polestar 2 for a while, including all (business) insurance and charging! So that's why the spaces are empty.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi all, and thanks again to anyone who contributed on another post I made, helping me choose my interior colour. Eventually went with void (tbh I was very disappointed with the exterior choices, would have loved a really nice bold bright blue (BMW Estoril or Audi Sepang)) and charcoal interior with performance pack. I enjoy cleaning / detailing cars (well, my own at least😂) so black hopefully won’t be an issue and I am into some home DA polishing action if needed, so hopefully it’ll look nice and shiny more often than not. Special thanks to Markbhai (forum member) for allowing me to view (and drive) his earlier this week as that really did help me decide to go ahead with the purchase.

By all means ignore the self indulgent crap below - the short version is, I’ve only 4 weeks to wait until it arrives.

This last week’s been hectic.....

Friday - ordered a pre-configured car to the spec I would have if I’d started an order from new, mainly so I could get it mid March not June / July and trade in my current car before the MOT, ridiculous £450 road tax, warranty etc are all due.

Rung round local dealers / WBAC / Motorway etc to see if anyone was interested in purchasing my current car (2018 Audi S5) and what prices I’d get (£25k - £27k which I was quite pleased with). Polestar could do with partnering up here to make the buying process easier IMHO, as sourcing £50k and then spending weeks without a car while finances clear etc. is a right PITA! I’ve got access to the missus Nissan Juke as she’s a school teacher working from home until 8th March, but if I didn’t, this whole process wouldn’t have been possible. I’m also a teacher but I am in school again from next week, so need daily transport and it would be 3 buses and 2 hours rather than a 20 minute car journey.

Sorted out loan for difference between S5 value + savings and P*2 (money is so cheap at the moment - 2.8% APR is ridiculous, £16k is costing me £350 in interest over 18 months!).

Private plate removed from current car (Audi S5) in preparation for selling and start praying DVLA send my V5 back ASAP so I can sell it before the end of the week.

Rang insurance to remove PP and enquire about increase for Polestar - no charge for changing reg (thanks to LV for that) and only £18 (£3 + £15 admin charge (boo LV for that) for the remaining 4 months cover).

Saturday - paperwork emailed by Polestar, all completed and signed - very strange experience doing it this way rather than being sat opposite a dealer going back and forth to get me the best deal he’s ever got for any customer ever from his sales manager 😂. Regardless of the ridiculousness of this scenario, I do find it quite enjoyable (especially if you’ve already used AutoEbid or Carwow and know exactly what a good deal is) and also reassuring to be able to ask questions and see the bloody car too!

Sunday - messaged Polestar as still no deposit had been taken despite all paperwork / contracts being signed etc.

Monday - received VIN 20*** so happy it’s not been sat in a field somewhere since last year gathering dust.

Test drove a Tesla Model 3 (contactless at Tesla Stockport) standard range plus (was looking at long range but they didn’t have one) and I loved the instant torque, and the whole car actually. The infotainment screen was immense (love Google maps with satellite view (come on Polestar add this soon please)) and so easy to use. I know I probably shouldn’t say this on here, but it was much nicer inside (and out) than I’d expected and if I don’t like the Polestar when it’s delivered (thanks to those on another thread I’d started, clarifying the returns process for Polestar) I will be more than happy to give Elon my money.

Stopped at the Trafford Centre and went to Boots (to get some Calpol for the little ‘un) and wasn‘t (honestly) going to have a look through the windows of Polestar Space 😂 which they’d bloody emptied, so saw sod all!

Did my last decent drive in my S5 to see Markbhai (about an 80 mile round trip) who very kindly let me drive his P*2 and have a look at the interior as I really was unsure of how I’d feel about it this. Still not 100% convinced about the wetsuit look 😁 as my S5 has a beautiful magma red leather and carbon fibre interior.

Tuesday - still no news re deposit so rang CS. Advisor spoke to finance department and evidently Polestar had taken it out, and then immediately refunded it as all the paperwork was signed - nothing at all showing on my bank statements but not to worry.

V5 returned from DVLA and appointment booked for WBAC this Friday - best price by about £500 so am prepared for a little bartering if needs be.

Allocated a registration number by Polestar.

Today - offered delivery of March 2nd 😁 but had to decline 🥲 as finances possibly wouldn’t be in place by then, so better safe than sorry! It‘s now moved to 18th March (I waited 9 months for my S5 so 4 weeks for the Polestar should be relatively easy - except for having to ask to borrow the good lady’s Juke every once in a while).

Transferred £100 as test payment to Polestar UK and now waiting for that to show on my Polestar account before transferring 3 separate payments for the balance - as bank have a £20k per day limit unless I go in myself and do a transfer in person - which they‘ll charge me for the privilege of doing.

Ordered aluminium pedals (eBay) and brushed aluminium wrap (Amazon) for centre console (thanks to YouTube videos from Spectrum Geeks) which should now be here in plenty of time and ready to go on, on day one. I’ve got nothing against the look of the piano black just can’t see it standing up too well to daily use and the mods both look really easy. I’m also going to vinyl wrap the silver strips on the rear bumper and front grille to give it that totally stealth look.

Spent the rest of the day researching home charging points and still non the wiser, although have taken various photos and videos and sent them to smarthomecharge.do.uk for a quote on an Ohme charger if that’s what I go for.

Really looking forward to ownership and as I only do about 120 miles a week currently, I’ll be temporarily charging using 3-pin or local PodPoint (free at Tesco near where I work) until the home charger is sorted and installed.

Anyone who’s read this to the end, thanks, and well done, it’s much appreciated. Looking forward to sharing experiences, tips and advice in the coming years!
Whilst awaiting my delivery as a factory build I am looking at this charger as cannot put a lump of white plastic on the house

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whilst awaiting my delivery as a factory build I am looking at this charger as cannot put a lump of white plastic on the house View attachment 3895
Would love the Anderson charger but apart from looks and decent length cable I can’t really justify the price! And as mine will be hidden I think I’ll go Rolec or Zappi.

However, if money were no object I’d definitely get the Anderson in a dark wood!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts