Polestar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 2
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just dropped my car off at Volvo to have them look at this bug: Battery temporarily went to 0% while driving

Got a void, charcoal, PP loaner which allows me to test things out more fully than I was on the earlier test drives. Have only had it for the morning but long story short, I'm pretty sure if I went through it again I would have gotten the PP instead of my current 19" nonPP spec. I'm kinda thinking about how I could do some sort of trade to be honest.

I've already put 4.5k miles on my nonPP car so feel like I know it and its dynamics well. I love how it drives and its ride quality. But I think the PP even in standard settings (Volvo indicated set at 12 clicks all around) is plainly better.

After dropping off the car and picking up the loaner, and noting my AM zooms got rescheduled, I did a route I know well and have done with the nonPP car many times - for those familiar with the area, went from Volvo Palo Alto to Alice's Restaurant via Arastradero --> Foothill --> Page Mill --> 280 --> Sand Hill --> Portola --> La Honda, then back down again to finally go to work near Sand Hill. It's a twisty route with decent elevation changes and sections chronically under construction or post-construction/pre-repaving. The nonPP suspension handles the curves well (and better than a Model 3P IMO) - the PP handles them great. It's completely flat and gives me that much more confidence taking them at higher speeds. And for the bumps, I feel them in the PP but somehow don't care about them as much. I think the Ohlin's smooth out the smaller bumps/divots (that are more common and unavoidable) better than the nonPP, but may be more jarring for the bigger bumps - but those are more infrequent and more avoidable. And the flatter ride with less body roll might actually be better to prevent nausea for the kids in the backseat.

As for leather (my car) vs WeaveTech (loaner), I now also wonder if there's enough of a delta to justify the leather. I still think the leather looks nicer/more premium. But the WeaveTech still looks and feels nice. And while the seat ventilation is nice with the leather, the fabric stays more temperate anyway. I could see using the $$ I gave for the leather to instead go to the PP for sure.

So yeah.... I don't quite have buyer's remorse. But definitely would take a do-over on it if I could. Really wish I test drove the PP on the route I just did and not for a few blocks in a busy city, where I couldn't see its handling of curves at all.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I was wondering if you could just get the Oehlins (and maybe springs) replaced. There is an Oehlins shop nearby and I might give it a call.
Wonder if they'll eventually make a coilover kit. Polestar mentioned the swaybars are uprated too, but there's nothing I've seen on specifics.

Reactions: polerad

·
Registered
720 Posts
I think the Ohlin's smooth out the smaller bumps/divots (that are more common and unavoidable) better than the nonPP, but may be more jarring for the bigger bumps - but those are more infrequent and more avoidable. And the flatter ride with less body roll might actually be better to prevent nausea for the kids in the backseat.
This is something I immediately noticed driving my old car and the P2 back to back. Ohlins calls this out as an advantage of the Dual-Flow Valve technology: since they're able to bleed off pressure on very fast compression and rebound strokes it can dull out the sharpness of small bumps and big impacts. Even though the suspension is stiff and I bounce around on bumpy roads, it doesn't feel harsh.

·
Registered
California
439 Posts
The nonPP suspension handles the curves well (and better than a Model 3P IMO) - the PP handles them great.
I agree with this.

I had a Model 3 for a year, bought the Performance Pack Polestar 2, and currently am driving non-performance 20” loaner. I’ve even driven the route you describe with both Model 3 and my performance pack Polestar 2.

The non-performance pack isn’t bad, but it’s not that much more comfortable over rough roads to justify the extra bounciness it has at the extremes. But it’s still better than Model 3.

Until Polestar gets its software act together, the handling around curves is most of how I’d justify this car over the Model 3.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m very glad I went with the PP and non-leather interior. The car great fun to drive and whenever I get into another car now I get annoyed by the ride - the damping setup on the PP is the best I have ever come across. Firm? Definitely. Uncomfortable? Definitely not. Excellent at going round corners? Most definitely surprising...especially given the two and a quarter tonnes.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Just dropped my car off at Volvo to have them look at this bug: Battery temporarily went to 0% while driving

Got a void, charcoal, PP loaner which allows me to test things out more fully than I was on the earlier test drives. Have only had it for the morning but long story short, I'm pretty sure if I went through it again I would have gotten the PP instead of my current 19" nonPP spec. I'm kinda thinking about how I could do some sort of trade to be honest.

I've already put 4.5k miles on my nonPP car so feel like I know it and its dynamics well. I love how it drives and its ride quality. But I think the PP even in standard settings (Volvo indicated set at 12 clicks all around) is plainly better.

After dropping off the car and picking up the loaner, and noting my AM zooms got rescheduled, I did a route I know well and have done with the nonPP car many times - for those familiar with the area, went from Volvo Palo Alto to Alice's Restaurant via Arastradero --> Foothill --> Page Mill --> 280 --> Sand Hill --> Portola --> La Honda, then back down again to finally go to work near Sand Hill. It's a twisty route with decent elevation changes and sections chronically under construction or post-construction/pre-repaving. The nonPP suspension handles the curves well (and better than a Model 3P IMO) - the PP handles them great. It's completely flat and gives me that much more confidence taking them at higher speeds. And for the bumps, I feel them in the PP but somehow don't care about them as much. I think the Ohlin's smooth out the smaller bumps/divots (that are more common and unavoidable) better than the nonPP, but may be more jarring for the bigger bumps - but those are more infrequent and more avoidable. And the flatter ride with less body roll might actually be better to prevent nausea for the kids in the backseat.

As for leather (my car) vs WeaveTech (loaner), I now also wonder if there's enough of a delta to justify the leather. I still think the leather looks nicer/more premium. But the WeaveTech still looks and feels nice. And while the seat ventilation is nice with the leather, the fabric stays more temperate anyway. I could see using the $$ I gave for the leather to instead go to the PP for sure.

So yeah.... I don't quite have buyer's remorse. But definitely would take a do-over on it if I could. Really wish I test drove the PP on the route I just did and not for a few blocks in a busy city, where I couldn't see its handling of curves at all.
This matches my experience going the other way, when I had a non-PP for a few days on two occasions during service. I never had a PP to test drive so ordered PP just on a hope and dream, so could have gone either way.

Edit: Just realized if you hadn't seen my earlier posts in a different thread last month comparing PP and nonPP that my comment here might be confusing. The tldr; is that I prefer the PP for the same reasons @polerad mentions and am pleased I ordered it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not out driving THAT much but so far I have never seen a single Polestar 2 in Palo Alto or actually anywhere in the Bay Area other than my own, so I'm glad you're reducing the Tesla ratio a bit!

I too got the non-PP, with the leather. I'm glad to have the 19" wheels as I've suffered with lower-profile wheels on other cars I've owned, and I understand that the 19" wheels might have a bit more range, and I don't see the benefit of fancy brakes as I'm just never going to drive on a track. But I'm wondering if I erred on not getting the Ohlins and whether a retrofit might be an option.

(Funny story, though -- I was driving up Page Mill about a month ago when it was being paved and closed in one lane. As I was waiting for the flag guy to wave me through, he walked over and asked me to open the window and as people do, asked, "what kind of car is that," then relayed the information up the road via radio. Then he said, "yeah, there's a guy up here with a black one...")

·
Registered
2021 2
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not out driving THAT much but so far I have never seen a single Polestar 2 in Palo Alto or actually anywhere in the Bay Area other than my own, so I'm glad you're reducing the Tesla ratio a bit!

I too got the non-PP, with the leather. I'm glad to have the 19" wheels as I've suffered with lower-profile wheels on other cars I've owned, and I understand that the 19" wheels might have a bit more range, and I don't see the benefit of fancy brakes as I'm just never going to drive on a track. But I'm wondering if I erred on not getting the Ohlins and whether a retrofit might be an option.

(Funny story, though -- I was driving up Page Mill about a month ago when it was being paved and closed in one lane. As I was waiting for the flag guy to wave me through, he walked over and asked me to open the window and as people do, asked, "what kind of car is that," then relayed the information up the road via radio. Then he said, "yeah, there's a guy up here with a black one...")
will need to get a rally going at least to prove to each other that we exist IRL. The only other P*2 I’ve seen on the road are test drive cars or folks going into or out of Volvo Palo Alto.

I did ask the Bay Area Space manager if a retrofit of the Ohlins might be available. Let’s see what they say!

·
Registered
34 Posts

It’s quite a coincidence that I test drove the performance pack on almost the exact route, except going up to Alice’s Restaurant. That’s probably why I was so torn about whether I should get the PP or not! 😂

·
Registered
2021 2
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It’s quite a coincidence that I test drove the performance pack on almost the exact route, except going up to Alice’s Restaurant. That’s probably why I was so torn about whether I should get the PP or not! 😂
Ive suggested it to Polestar as a test drive route. Much better than a circle around union square which was all they could muster for our PP test drive - if I took it on that twisty route I would’ve totally sprung for the PP! And they would definitely sell more Polestars vs model 3s that way too. The handling of the curves in the model 3 doesn’t compare to even the nonPP polestar.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ive suggested it to Polestar as a test drive route. Much better than a circle around union square which was all they could muster for our PP test drive - if I took it on that twisty route I would’ve totally sprung for the PP! And they would definitely sell more Polestars vs model 3s that way too. The handling of the curves in the model 3 doesn’t compare to even the nonPP polestar.
I think the pandemic has done it for them. 😝 They now just let people take the car for an hour or so and go all over. They also suggest going on the 280 to get a good idea about the car. I’m glad I drove the route. ☺

1 - 15 of 15 Posts