Polestar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would call it-
Style Over Substance (There’s Always Something With You)

A handful of classic hits that will stay with you forever, but some of the tracks truly disappoint. Promised so much more. Worth buying for the beautiful sleeve alone.

Ok I threw in a quick review at the end.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Ah... but there IS substance, Dave.

I love the way the car drives.
I love the ability to coast and how that feels.
Acceleration? Yeah... 'got plenty of that.
I love the suspension.
I love the interior.
The Google assistance works really well.
The seats are comfortable.
I like the materials used.

With all there is to be frustrated about, and there's a lot, it's easy to forget how great the car itself is.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ah... but there IS substance, Dave.
Interesting title for an LP. Reminds me of “What’s the Frequency, Kenneth?” By REM.

I didn’t say there’s no substance. But the styling inside & out is in my mind untouchable. It stands out without screaming Look at Me. It’s obviously been pored over, altered & tweeked endlessly. It’s a labour of love.
Conversely I don’t go for a drive without some kind of niggle (and my issues are much less problematic than some). Be it no 4g signal, google assistant going American, auto wipers not sensing rain, preset heating schedule unreliability....there’s something every single time I drive the car.

Your list of wonderful aspects of this vehicle cannot be doubted. But neither can the faults. I do believe that priorities were made when creating the Polestar 2. Style was placed above some of the basic reliability. I’ve never been promised so much by a car I’ve owned. Never before have I reached such dizzying heights of performance & isolated excellence. But I’ve never had so many persistent faults on a new car. And this is the most expensive car I’ve driven.
I’m 2 months & 2500 miles in. The honeymoon period is fading.
I would still recommend this car to a potential buyer. But the list of caveats is growing.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Absolutely fair, Uncle Dave.

I think they concentrated on style, yes. And I think they concentrated on the suspension and performance aspects. They said as much in the promotional materials back in 2019. And I think they underestimated how complex the software part would be and is. And so here we are.

For me, it's early on, and the little problems here and there haven't been enough to bother me. And the actual purchase, paperwork, communication during that last few weeks really had taken a lot of the fun out of getting the car. I don't like being a pest or a bother and I felt I was and that I had to be to get things done.

On the other hand, the number of day-to-day trips that I've taken is tiny yet. There's plenty of time for me to channel my inner, old-man, wingeiness.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
For the sake of balance. Other Polestar 2s are
Interesting title for an LP. Reminds me of “What’s the Frequency, Kenneth?” By REM.

I didn’t say there’s no substance. But the styling inside & out is in my mind untouchable. It stands out without screaming Look at Me. It’s obviously been pored over, altered & tweeked endlessly. It’s a labour of love.
Conversely I don’t go for a drive without some kind of niggle (and my issues are much less problematic than many). Be it no 4g signal, google assistant going American, auto wipers not sensing rain, preset heating schedule unreliability....there’s something every single time I drive the car.

Your list of wonderful aspects of this car cannot be doubted. But neither can the faults. I do believe that priorities were made when creating the Polestar 2. Style was placed above some of the basic reliability. I’ve never been promised so much by a car I’ve owned. Never before have I reached such dizzying heights of performance & isolated excellence. But I’ve never had so many persistent faults on a new car. And this is the most expensive car I’ve driven.
I’m 2 months & 2500 miles in. The honeymoon period is fading.
I would still recommend this car to a potential buyer. But the list of caveats is growing.
Would you trade in your wife after 2 months?

·
Registered
2021 2
2,587 Posts
I empathize with the sentiment but I'm not as down on it yet. I'm 1k mi into the experience, not 2k, I have a home charger, and I live with more civilized weather.

This is also my first real foray into the premium/luxury car experience so a lot of the creature comforts are new to me and exciting when they work at all.
And having done some coding for different projects, I've got a high tolerance for debugging things on the fly, esp as it mostly just involves different degrees of cycling on/off.

So I guess I'm a cheap date who's easy to impress. But for now I'm good with the varied features and performance. And I love the styling in and out like everyone's pointed out.

Now that said: This is the most expensive thing I've purchased aside from my house. A brand new ICE at ~1/2 the cost comes with a lot of those features plus remote start/heating/etc. I fully expect the varied niggles are meant to be addressed in a short timeframe and if they're still persistent in ~6 mos I'm going to be more than just annoyed. If by end Q2 '21 we don't get the app with all the promised features (promised for launch....) and battery management that could enable better city range in the cold, I don't think I'll be as rosy.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
I hope Polestar realizes that with each passing week, the competition gets closer to stealing their thunder. Right now, if there was an all electric Volvo with similar features and styling, who would go with Polestar over the Volvo? Dealerships and service in place with Volvo. No struggling to get paperwork taken care of. No worries about how you'll get things sorted. I'm not that excited about the competitors out there right now, but the number of good alternatives is about to explode.

Just in my little world alone, I have three close friends who are asking me about this car and whether it might be the right one for them. I need to be able to tell them, with confidence, that it is indeed. Unfortunately, I have a lot of "Yes, well... there is this..." things in my conversations.

So... if Polestar really wants to survive as a company, they had better get the software sorted and sorted soon. I'm patient, but the rest of the market won't be.

·
Registered
463 Posts
And the actual purchase, paperwork, communication during that last few weeks really had taken a lot of the fun out of getting the car. I don't like being a pest or a bother and I felt I was and that I had to be to get things done.
Well said... That’s exactly where I’m at now. Glad it’s not just me. Paperwork (even the manual one - not the non working website) is a nightmare. Every step is going wrong (for weeks and every two three days it’s something else) and that intermingled with misinformation and even a few times outright lies completely takes the pleasure out of the purchase. In fact to a point that there’s no fun left anymore. It came to a point that they wanted me to pay in full first (wire) and then complete the missing (read non existing) paperwork - followed by adding additional documentation fees.... Absolutely nuts. We now agreed that I will no longer entertain any of their attempts to contact me with ever changing bits of paperwork. We agreed there will be only one communication - i.e. the notification of day, location and time of pickup. I will then inspect in their shop the list of documents needed for registration and insurance, the related purchase and warranty documents and of course the car. Only then will I place a signature, where needed, hand over what has now become a certified cheque instead of a wire transfer, then get the key, go to get insurance and license plates, come back, fix them and drive away. Anything missing in the paperwork that day and I’m ready to walk on the spot - I’ve resigned myself to that already. It’s that bad.
It’s a far cry from my last car buying experience: I bought my Volvo through the Overseas Delivery Program and picked it up in Gothenburg, drove through Europe for several weeks, dropped it off in Munich and got my car redelivered home. All that with different license plates and insurance in Europe, shipment, import as “used” car, taxes etc - all was taken car off by Volvo in the background without the smallest problem or issue with paperwork. All as promised and better. even air travel, pickup in Gothenburg, dinner and first night of hotel taken care off for less than buying the same car from dealer.... That’s what I call a positive car buying experience. I was honestly expecting the same from Polestar but they really have taken the fun out of the buying process. Even the knowledge of getting a nice car doesn’t fix that anymore !

·
Registered
Oct '20 / VIN47xx. Void, Slate, 20"
554 Posts
I feel a bit like Dave. (Catchy eh?)

Although my car has never let me down completely there are frequent niggles that wear on me a bit and have taken the shine off. It’s my first ever brand new car so some of the appeal was that it would be faultless and worry free (I normally buy 1-2 year old cars and keep for a couple of years).

I don’t think any are unique to me (poor efficiency, the recall, Volvo not knowing much about the car, connectivity, camera issues, coolant warnings, lack of working app).

I work in IT so I’m fine with things being late or having teething problems but the lack of transparency is a bit annoying.

The car is comfortable and relaxing to drive but not all that exciting any more either - the novelty has worn off a bit for me, I think expedited by the various small problems! I hate to say it but I kind of miss the drama of some of my previous cars and I’m considering getting something else more exciting to replace our other car at some point (the polestar can be our family-mobile). Maybe something lightly used from Porsche or AMG.

Sure the polestar is quite nippy but it’s very quiet, safe and solid so doesn’t always feel it! (I know that’s part of the appeal).

Maybe I’m just grumpy today. (That might be a better album title)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts