Polestar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Rory Reid (From Top Gear / AutoTrader) was stuck last night at a dodgy car park charging at 11kw (I can only assume due to him saying it would take 2 hours to get to 80%) because at home he could only charge at 8mph.

He had over 100 miles of Range ... as he was at 50% ... so why not drive to a 50kw Charger? Does he live that remotely?

I think this is some sort of stunt ... I even think he left it on 6A at home instead of 16A ... although he said he didn't or at least tried to increase it. Now I wouldn't assume he would have a Type 2 at home, that's fine, but a 16A plug should be fine for 50% over night, unless he lives in a cottage in the north of wales - them the supply might be so bad the adaptor might limit you.

This does seem like odd ... is 100+ miles range not enough for a video shoot the next day?
Way are you trying to charge so late?

Why is it so slow at home? Shouldn't a 16A 3pin get him 11mph?

Lets assume he was only getting 8mph. He must have started charging at 11pm before he noticed the speed ... then found a place to drive and charge .. then drove there, staarted charging etc.. So 11 to 6am would be 7 hours. 7 x 8 = 56 miles, plus his min 50% of 100-135 .... so a min 156 miles or max of 191 miles. Is this not enough for a video shoot?

Something is fishy .... I'm sure we will all be told in the upcoming review.

Also ... As he loves the Model 3 Performance ... anyone care to guess where the review will go?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wonder if Rory was in the same car that this guy was in -
(timestamp 13:20)

He reported a similar issue, two chargers wouldn't charge it, one would but only at a snails pace.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I nearly posted to flag this one to 😊. He has 2 EV Chargers at home (I assume 7kW) so either a glitch with the car... (did he try unplugging etc who knows) or some other issue. Though another tweet did say he’d had an enjoyable day in the end, so might not be as predictable as you might fear.

That said, it was bound to find its way in to the hands of a reviewer who’s part of the Tesla Mafia at some point lol ! I’ve been largely oblivious to this following (though did use to work with one I just thought he was a minority!) but one reviewer was aggressively hounded online for daring to say he’d take it over the M3. That’s just crazy. And sad. If that’s the company I’d keep by buying a Tesla... good car or otherwise I want no part of it (a broad brush statement I’m sure the majority are perfectly amicable and appreciate a little competition is a good thing!).

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He reported a similar issue, two chargers wouldn't charge it, one would but only at a snails pace.
No Rory was saying at home he was only getting 8pmh.

So he went to a charger near him. Then said it would take 2 hours to get charged up. I assumed to 80% but he could have meant 100% - either way not sure. But he also said in later responses to a tweet he wasn't at a 50kw or better either ... therefore he could only be at a 7kW or an 11kW ... but as he was at 50% and said 2 hours ... that means probably an 11kW public charger.

Tim on the other hand was at a Ecotricity Electric Highway Charger ... which is well known for being shit - and that's being polite - two were faulty and the 3rd was only giving out 8kw.

So not related.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pretty sure in Rory's review he has creep on AND one pedal driving then complains the one pedal can't bring it to a full stop... If he had turned creep off.

I like his reviews and thought otherwise it was pretty fair. Compared to Tesla supercharger network all other charge networks are in the dark ages. Most people will charge at home though.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Pretty sure in Rory's review he has creep on AND one pedal driving then complains the one pedal can't bring it to a full stop... If he had turned creep off.

I like his reviews and thought otherwise it was pretty fair. Compared to Tesla supercharger network all other charge networks are in the dark ages. Most people will charge at home though.
The part where he said the Model 3 interior design is better than the Polestar's proves that he is completely and objectively wrong.

Also, his review (and plenty others) reminds me of this YouTuber's rant (starting 6:23):

A lot of us here are here because we like our cars to accelerate and handle well. But even in this crowd, many of us value comfort, ride quality, etc almost as much if not more than 0->60 times. And the general public I'm sure values comfort/quality/luxury way more than horsepower, torque, and taking a curve at 90 mph.

Yet what does Rory and a whole slew of others do? They start off with a drag race and basically ignores things like noise levels, ride quality, build quality, plain comfort of the seats, etc.
Clearly in that sort of review, the car tuned for drag racing and range (and little else) is going to 'win'

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think you are preaching to the converted given many of us have chosen Polestar over the other options. I for one am really happy with my choice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts