Polestar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had difficulty with this?
My insurer (esure) have all base models listed and then repeated with PLUS pack too.

I enquired how much the performance pack would increase my premium… they’re saying it cannot be done.

Seems nuts, I’m 44… no convictions / points / claims and a 25 year NCB… if I can’t get it who can?!?

their issue seems to be… it’s not aftermarket as it’s a polestar thing, and the car doesn’t go to be altered… just happens.

The computer is literally saying no 😂😂

·
Registered
71 Posts
Are you referring to the "performance software" upgrade to the performance pack? Or the performance pack itself?

If it is the performance software, it's an OEM OTA update. Surely doesn't require insurance company approval does it? Some OTAs improve range, some add features, this one improves performance. Just because it is optional and has a cost involved shouldn't require insurance company to approve, right? That is going to be a nightmare moving forward if every significant OTA update requires approval.

If you're saying that the Performance Pack itself (which is brakes, dampers and is otherwise largely cosmetic) cannot be insured, that is indeed strange. Maybe find another company?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Has anyone had difficulty with this?
My insurer (esure) have all base models listed and then repeated with PLUS pack too.

I enquired how much the performance pack would increase my premium… they’re saying it cannot be done.

Seems nuts, I’m 44… no convictions / points / claims and a 25 year NCB… if I can’t get it who can?!?

their issue seems to be… it’s not aftermarket as it’s a polestar thing, and the car doesn’t go to be altered… just happens.

The computer is literally saying no 😂😂
I got mine added by Admiral, cost £12 extra. Others also informed Admiral, and no additional charge for them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can I ask what you told them? They’re saying it’ll go down as a chipped engine +10-20% power (correct)

now quoting £170 more (for 6 months too - when policy runs until)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you referring to the "performance software" upgrade to the performance pack? Or the performance pack itself?

If it is the performance software, it's an OEM OTA update. Surely doesn't require insurance company approval does it? Some OTAs improve range, some add features, this one improves performance. Just because it is optional and has a cost involved shouldn't require insurance company to approve, right? That is going to be a nightmare moving forward if every significant OTA update requires approval.

If you're saying that the Performance Pack itself (which is brakes, dampers and is otherwise largely cosmetic) cannot be insured, that is indeed strange. Maybe find another company?

Just the performance software.

Well it’s an after supply upgrade to the engine / power. My insurer has the car listed as ‘78kwh 402bhp’… but that wouldn’t be right, it’s 469bhp. So I asked the question.

Nothings easy.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hmmm, interesting I’ll likely splurge for the update when it’s available but I’m not sure I would have thought to update insurance. Glad I know.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Can I ask what you told them? They’re saying it’ll go down as a chipped engine +10-20% power (correct)

now quoting £170 more (for 6 months too - when policy runs until)
I just explained it was £1k performance update to 469-476bhp from Polestar the manufacturer.
They replied that because it's a manufacturer update software update (not a after market modification) then they classed it as notified and no change to cost. They checked with the underwriters and they were happy.
Though my car is the performance version from 2020, so it might have been more expensive than the non PP version originally with more perceived risk.
Total cost is £424 per year in total, with full no claims.

·
Registered
P*2 DMLR PPP Leather Midnight
36 Posts
Just wondering - why would you even bother with the insurance for a software upgrade? I'm not familiar with how it works in the UK, but still, I don't believe a car insurance company would ever care about what software you're running and what it does.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Just wondering - why would you even bother with the insurance for a software upgrade? I'm not familiar with how it works in the UK, but still, I don't believe a car insurance company would ever care about what software you're running and what it does.
A loss adjuster will look for any excuse not to pay out ;) Always declare everything...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had an issue with Saga, an expensive policy but covered a lot and 2 years new for old. But when I asked 2 weeks into the policy to add the performance software they said no the underwriter wouldn't accept it. I tried escalating a complaint but still no. I then tried a few others, direct line said they would cover it but wouldn't put in writing. In the end I went for LV who added it as a declared 'engine upgrade' which cost an £17, about £370 for the year as against £600 for Saga.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone. I think I’ll change insurer.
I agree with the above comment they’ll look at any reason not to cover. And not worth it on a £55k vehicle!

admiral and Hastings appear the best - £340 with all the trimmings (600 combined excess though 👀)

thanks all

1 - 12 of 12 Posts