Polestar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Snow, non-PP, Tow bar.
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Polesters!
Five days in with my PS2. Very nice. I'm in the UK and went with Bell Insurance (I think they're part of Admiral). They were the cheapest quote I could find. They have provided me with a tracking device which only comes with a 12V plug. The idea is over 6 months they measure how I drive. If I drive well/sensibly then I get an insurance discount (and then I return the device after 6 months). The instructions with the device says not to install it in the boot. Not sure why that is. But as we all know, there is only one 12V socket in the PS2 and that's in the boot. So I have installed it in the boot. They appear to be getting data from the device as I got an email this morning telling me that the handshake has been made and data is being collected. What do you all think about this? Is it ok to leave it in the boot? What could the problems be? They recommended it should be installed under the passenger seat footwell but with no 12V socket in the front that's pretty much impossible.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hello fellow Polesters!
Five days in with my PS2. Very nice. I'm in the UK and went with Bell Insurance (I think they're part of Admiral). They were the cheapest quote I could find. They have provided me with a tracking device which only comes with a 12V plug. The idea is over 6 months they measure how I drive. If I drive well/sensibly then I get an insurance discount (and then I return the device after 6 months). The instructions with the device says not to install it in the boot. Not sure why that is. But as we all know, there is only one 12V socket in the PS2 and that's in the boot. So I have installed it in the boot. They appear to be getting data from the device as I got an email this morning telling me that the handshake has been made and data is being collected. What do you all think about this? Is it ok to leave it in the boot? What could the problems be? They recommended it should be installed under the passenger seat footwell but with no 12V socket in the front that's pretty much impossible.
If its working, leave it well alone :)

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
1,989 Posts
They ask you not to install it in a traditional boot because that's basically a metal box and the signal won't get out. It's fine to install it in a "fastback" like the Polestar as it has only a thin parcel shelf and glass windscreen to transmit the signal through.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Bell is indeed part of admiral. The question of ask is do they ask you or tell you not to put it in the boot. There is no reason it will make a difference to you but if you are violating your T&Cs then you ate potentially driving without insurance. If you can get written confirmation that it's OK then you are all set.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Not at all - they've confirmed they're getting the data. I think the recommendation is simply for the reasons already stated. In some cars, the boot is a solid metal box. In the Polestar, having it in the boot is absolutely no different to having it in the cabin.

Probably a better signal there than in their recommended location of the passenger footwell.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If its only a recommendation then that's fine. I don't trust insurance companies to not try and wriggle out paying if they stipulate rather than recommend

1 - 9 of 9 Posts