Polestar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with every new electric car revealed does it not make you appreciate the P*2 interior more?

The three main sins I think are

The designs for them just seems ridiculous and gaudy (see Mercedes below)

Not a single designer seems to know how to integrate a screen into the flow of the dashboard - they always seem to be added on as an afterthought on top (Lucid air, Kia ev6, Mach-e)

Or lastly the addition of as many screens as possible which seems like the weird 90's version of a hacking scene (E-tron I'm looking at you)

Every time I get in my P* I just love how it is high tech without being tech focused, no other electric car has managed to capture this yet, what does everyone else think?

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,436 Posts
So with every new electric car revealed does it not make you appreciate the P*2 interior more?

View attachment 4805
Not a single designer seems to know how to integrate a screen into the flow of the dashboard - they always seem to be added on as an afterthought on top (Lucid air, Kia ev6, Mach-e)
View attachment 4807

Or lastly the addition of as many screens as possible which seems like the weird 90's version of a hacking scene (E-tron I'm looking at you)

View attachment 4806

Every time I get in my P* I just love how it is high tech without being tech focused, no other electric car has managed to capture this yet, what does everyone else think?
My smugness levels are through the roof with this car. I'm even more unbearable than usual. These Chinese cars are great.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm confused...isn't the Polestar doing the 'lets just stick an iPad on the dash' trick? The first thing my daughter asked was is that an iPad.

I love the map in the driver dash and I love the infotainment system. It is all miles ahead of my last car, but there is still lots of learning to do.

The next step change will come in the development on Android Auto and integrated assistant. There will come a day when we just talk to the car and screens become smaller again. IMHO.

Mark

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
The whole center console is designed to incorporate the tablet. It's about the only way to do so, don't you think? Unless, of course, you start using a curved tablet and pretty much exclude your passengers.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I wouldn't judge anyone's interior, based solely on their TV/media setup alone. The tablet has to be there and the digital cockpit has to be there (in 2021 at least). How they wrapped the rest of the interior around it, is how the p2 stands out for me. Swedes are quiet good at this, take their locally made x2000 train's interior.

At first it looks a little off, but spend a few hours in it and you really get it. Its a pleasant place to be and one of the best interiors of any public transport I have tried.
And their update is quite subtle

I think this is what Polestar is trying to create, a nice place to sit for a few hours while getting fram a to b.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I wouldn't judge anyone's interior, based solely on their TV/media setup alone. The tablet has to be there and the digital cockpit has to be there (in 2021 at least). How they wrapped the rest of the interior around it, is how the p2 stands out for me. Swedes are quiet good at this, take their locally made x2000 train's interior.
View attachment 4812

At first it looks a little off, but spend a few hours in it and you really get it. Its a pleasant place to be and one of the best interiors of any public transport I have tried.
And their update is quite subtle
View attachment 4813

I think this is what Polestar is trying to create, a nice place to sit for a few hours while getting fram a to b.
I remember my first X2000 journey (I'm not Swedish, my experience of trains before was various British trains). As you say, it seems a bit off to begin with but is a very comfortable place to be. The photos you include are of the 1st class compartment, which is often very well priced. But the legroom, seat width and recline in standard class beats 1st class on any British service i have been on.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I remember my first X2000 journey (I'm not Swedish, my experienced of trains before was various British trains). As you say, it seems a bit off to begin with but is a very comfortable place to be. The photos you include are of the 1st class compartment, which is often very well priced. But the legroom, seat width and recline in standard class beats 1st class on any British service i have been on.
Only taken it a few times, underlings in the Norwegian department of rail transportation twarthed the express service by x2000 between Oslo and Stockholm, but the price increase for 1st class was £10 or something for a 500 km roundtrip. Excellent value for money. If you (as in someone using this forum) like trains, there is a service between Copenhagen and Stockholm by X2000 for when we again can travel...

·
Registered
California
439 Posts
The whole center console is designed to incorporate the tablet. It's about the only way to do so, don't you think? Unless, of course, you start using a curved tablet and pretty much exclude your passengers.
I imagine in a couple of years time we’ll look back at this current interior design era as one in which the screens are very clearly designed to look like a standalone tablet plopped in. There are definitely other industrial design options. But style trends happen.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,085 Posts
I imagine in a couple of years time we’ll look back at this current interior design era as one in which the screens are very clearly designed to look like a standalone tablet plopped in. There are definitely other industrial design options. But style trends happen.

View attachment 4817
I agree they could have done a bit better to make the tablet seem more incorporated in the dash.
Here's what I'm thinking:

Would move in the center console edges to yield more driver/passenger knee room while still giving the same cockpit/ensconced feeling. The center console lighting and wood trim elements would still be there, just pushed in a cm or so. The wireless/USBC charging area would be unaffected.
It would move the air vents to a more usual position. Provide an actual 2nd cup holder. And effectively hide some of the thicker bezels of the screen to make it look like those were functional and not just there because they couldn't find a good edge-to-edge screen supplier. I made guesstimate measurements just now in the car and this would totally work and now I'm kinda wondering why they didn't just do this.

·
Registered
California
439 Posts
Yeah I’m fairly convinced the tablet-ness an intentional design choice. I can speculate about a number of reasons — including cost of production or desire to show off the touchscreen/app area — but it’s hard to imagine it’s an accident.

Polestar’s done more than most to “nestle” the tablet into a space, but they still chose to have it be a specific separate element. Which I believe is a choice.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yeah I’m fairly convinced the tablet-ness an intentional design choice. I can speculate about a number of reasons — including cost of production or desire to show off the touchscreen/app area — but it’s hard to imagine it’s an accident.

Polestar’s done more than most to “nestle” the tablet into a space, but they still chose to have it be a specific separate element. Which I believe is a choice.
I like it better than what Volvo is doing to be honest. It stands out as a central element of the car while still being integrated into the design, and I like that it doesn't disrupt the lines of the dash. Doesn't feel like it's just glued onto the dash as an afterthought like in the Mach-E or Tesla Model 3/Y.

·
Registered
2018 Chevy Volt
34 Posts

View attachment 4805
View attachment 4807

View attachment 4806

The Polestar 2 interior solidified the vehicle's place as the #1 choice on my new EV wish list. The body style, build quality, and raw power also helped :cool:
I really like the exterior styling of the Mach-E. It's my second choice. But you're right, that giant iPad slapped onto the dashboard just looks bad- especially in that photo!

·
Registered
328 Posts
The sides of the center console at least widen in the 2 to frame the tablet and provide a pretty organic visual flow from the armrest on up through the top of the screen. Part of what makes the center display feel “tacked on” in other cars is that the rest of the interior design refuses to acknowledge that a screen goes there.

·
Registered
73 Posts

View attachment 4817
Love my Alfa as well. Simple and functional interiors and I'll take carplay/Android auto over most proprietary systems.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts