1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car back from Volvo garage today, with updates applied the status shows this:

Delving into the depths of the system files i found this:

Is mobile internet a la Tesla?

The UK is on O2 ? Tmobile ? Deutsche Telecom?

WTF??

·
Registered
293 Posts
It's a roaming SIM that can switch between networks but all the traffic is routed through a single virtual point. It means your IP address doesn't change as you flip between networks. Pretty standard stuff for 'telemetry' type applications where they want to guarantee a signal wherever you are.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but i still don't get it. I think these pages have appeared following the latest update - is it background stuff i just ignore, or do i need to sign up for it, and what do i get if i do sign up? (and what's it gonna cost?)

·
Registered
103 Posts
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I am pretty certain that's s been there all along. The car comes with 3 years connection for which the registration will be with PoleStar. I expect if you re-register that there is a chance it loses the Polestar registration.

I left it well alone, couldn't see anything useful coming from fiddling with it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Ignore all that, it does nothing. You can't complete the signup anyway, and even if you did, there's no hotspot functionality enabled in the car anyway.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Steve - regarding 'Roaming SIM' do you think that means I can access the Vodafone 4G network which is the only useable provider near my home - I've just bought a EE SIM as trial & have no/rubbish signal in my area?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ignore all that, it does nothing. You can't complete the signup anyway, and even if you did, there's no hotspot functionality enabled in the car anyway.
I did signup on that form when I was having issues with connectivity. Somehow the 'Accept Conditions' had been deselected causing the internet connection, not to function.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Are you sure about that? A couple of other non-uk soon to be owners said they had been invited to set up 4g hotspot registration prior to delivery. below :-

Not sure but this might concern only the UK as mine is also planned for delivery tomorrow morning and I got a nice reminder email (note that I did not need a reminder at all) this afternoon also inviting me to signup for the hotspot 4g connection to be fully ready for tomorrow.
I'm in Belgium and was expected to pick up the car tomorrow at ScanCar in Wilrijk (Antwerp). I got the nice email, did all the hotspot registration, etc... and then phone call came at 18:23 from the Polestar Representative I had spoken to a few times before. So it is certainly not UK only.

·
Registered
293 Posts
There are anti-terrorism laws in some other countries (Netherlands and Belgium I think) that say any SIM must have a registered owner. So in those locations, it's mandatory to register before activation.

·
Registered
195 Posts
That could certainly be it then, however they both specifically mentioned hotspot registration rather than a general 4g/sim registration and Toscal353 screenshot shows a generic car hotspot registration. We'll see in the next week to two. TBH car hotspot would be nice but not top of the list of features for me.

·
Registered
203 Posts
That could certainly be it then, however they both specifically mentioned hotspot registration rather than a general 4g/sim registration and Toscal353 screenshot shows a generic car hotspot registration. We'll see in the next week to two. TBH car hotspot would be nice but not top of the list of features for me.
Reading the T&Cs is did also say something about allowances, and that they would bill you through the car supplier for use above some unspecified allowance. This is all generic as the same car internet service is used by BMW and Rolls Royce.

So for a car hot spot, I assume it would need Polestar to enable this, and figure out data allowances and possible billing processes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts