Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a holding deposit on a PS2 in thunder last week. At the time I hadn’t realised it didn’t fully match the current web description (a bit naughty of them).

After speaking with Polestar, the only difference between configuring a MY 22 and the car I’ve reserved is a heat pump - they say there’s no other changes.

From what I can tell, to order the same spec for the new model year, would cost £3000 more, this seems a lot for a heat pump.

Any observations / advice appreciated

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
After speaking with Polestar, the only difference between configuring a MY 22 and the car I’ve reserved is a heat pump - they say there’s no other changes.
If the heat pump is really the only differene, the 3000£ is not for the heat pump, but for the price increase of the MY22 (which includes the heat pump in the Plus package) vs MY21 (does not have a heat pump) model.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MY22 you will get heated wiper blades too 🤭
Interesting - when I asked for clarification of MY21 v MY22, Polestar stated the only difference was the heat pump. I’m now wondering what else may be different.

They really aren’t giving me a good feeling at the moment. I only placed an order 5 days ago (pending a test drive, which hasn’t happened yet) and I’m already being pressured to finalise / confirm. I had two reminder emails over the weekend and a third this morning advising that I’d missed the deadline. All rather irritating as before placing the order, I called to check the process and was told I had a minimum of 14 days, more if necessary.

Considering the above + reading various info on here about other ongoing problems, I’m now unsure if moving forward is the right thing.

·
Registered
714 Posts
They "clarified" this on the official polestar community on Facebook yesterday. They say that launch edition cars (MY21) have heated nozzles while MY22 will have heated wiper blades.... Its still not particularly clear as their marketing has always said heated wiper blades. There's another topic discussing this on the forum.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They "clarified" this on the official polestar community on Facebook yesterday. They say that launch edition cars (MY21) have heated nozzles while MY22 will have heated wiper blades.... Its still not particularly clear as their marketing has always said heated wiper blades. There's another topic discussing this on the forum.
Thanks - it’s not a feature that I’m bothered about. I’m just not keen on the pressure tactics - they initially said 14 days, but then started chasing after 3. I love the design of the car, but have to say, from what I’ve now learnt, Android Automotive seems a backwards step in terms of integrated functionality, especially around audio.

·
Registered
714 Posts
If you want a lot of options to tweak the audio to your exact preferences, then there's not a lot for you in the polestar. BUT, just setting the equaliser you can forget about needing to change anything about it again. The sound system if very impressive. It delivers a nice immersive sound where it's very difficult to localize the individual speakers (why would you want to).

Are the audio setup options limited? Yes. Is that a problem? Not at all in my experience. I think many others here will agree with me on that.

The Android Automotive system is for the most part, well thought through, sure there are some wants and desires here and there, but it's pretty good and had plenty of room to grow both from Polestar's updates as well as more and more app support in the future.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you want a lot of options to tweak the audio to your exact preferences, then there's not a lot for you in the polestar. BUT, just setting the equaliser you can forget about needing to change anything about it again. The sound system if very impressive. It delivers a nice immersive sound where it's very difficult to localize the individual speakers (why would you want to).

Are the audio setup options limited? Yes. Is that a problem? Not at all in my experience. I think many others here will agree with me on that.

The Android Automotive system is for the most part, well thought through, sure there are some wants and desires here and there, but it's pretty good and had plenty of room to grow both from Polestar's updates as well as more and more app support in the future.
Thanks for the info, It’s not the audio quality that bothers me, from what I’ve read, it sounds superb and I’m definitely not one of those audio fiddlers, so that doesn’t worry me either. My biggest concern is connectivity - I’m not mad keen on having to stream all the time and from what I can gather, when using Bluetooth there is no easy way to use the car interface to search / control music coming from a phone. It’s that area that I was referring to when I said a step backwards. Previous cars, 4+ years old, could all play / control / search music from a phone via Bluetooth, even displaying album art etc.

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
The car has 'classic' FM/DAB radio and is doing the streaming when you use one of the currently suported apps (Spotify, YT Music, Podcasts, etc.). Album art and full control over BT will come with AAOS 11 which I expect later this year.

·
Registered
Midnight 20” Charcoal July? August? vin 26xxx
395 Posts
[QUOTE="Jono, post: 49628, member: 3112Previous cars, 4+ years old, could all play / control / search music from a phone via Bluetooth, even displaying album art etc.
[/QUOTE]

Agree this worry’s me as well. Why a modern car essentially has implemented BT in the same way as a check BT speaker astounds me.

However it is likely that BT is only here as a add on/ backup with the full expectation that people will use a streaming service primarily.

There are two way of looking at this 1. This is the direction of travel of the music industry and consumer engagement. 2. Google have a commercial interest in pushing people to YouTube music so happy to limit other functionality.

I have a theory that data transfer is restricted in the car either via usb or BT to limit attack surface areas. This seems sensible given the security issues with other vehicles (Jeep Boeing)

however is is a pain in the arse and doesn’t necessarily solve the issue.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[QUOTE="Jono, post: 49628, member: 3112Previous cars, 4+ years old, could all play / control / search music from a phone via Bluetooth, even displaying album art etc.
Agree this worry’s me as well. Why a modern car essentially has implemented BT in the same way as a check BT speaker astounds me.

However it is likely that BT is only here as a add on/ backup with the full expectation that people will use a streaming service primarily.

There are two way of looking at this 1. This is the direction of travel of the music industry and consumer engagement. 2. Google have a commercial interest in pushing people to YouTube music so happy to limit other functionality.

I have a theory that data transfer is restricted in the car either via usb or BT to limit attack surface areas. This seems sensible given the security issues with other vehicles (Jeep Boeing)

however is is a pain in the arse and doesn’t necessarily solve the issue.
[/QUOTE]
I’ve no problem with streaming, I’m a premium Spotify user. I’m perhaps old fashioned, but I will take a lot of convincing that music streaming is the best approach in a moving car, with the poor network coverage we have in many rural areas. I think this will only be aggravated by higher bit rate / lossless streams that are now appearing. Why fit such a great sound system in the car and then in effect prevent people easily accessing high quality stored content.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
You should be more worried about features being taken away via OTA updates. I have a bad feeling that soon Tesla or someone will take a feature that was given for free after the purchase of the car, then place it behind a pay-wall once it's popular.

So this isn't something that was advertised on purchase, but given freely and later removed or put behind an expensive pay-wall. Just look at any phone app, computer game, etc... they all want a chunk of that micro-transaction money making market. It will just be time until someone figures out how to do it to cars*.

*Note: I know there was some talk about "renting seat heaters" in a Tesla or other car ... so you can basically just pay a monthly fee for the months you want them ... but not sure if they went ahead or not.

Reactions: Jono and pbrady999

·
Registered
395 Posts
“You are about to have an accident! If you wish to utilise the anti collision system please deposit £100 into your account now.”

·
Registered
346 Posts
There is a lot of press about a ware-able motor cycle airbag with a monthly subscription to keep it activated. If the payment didn't go through you die.

·
Registered
Snow non-PP w/tow hook
124 Posts
I’ve no problem with streaming, I’m a premium Spotify user. I’m perhaps old fashioned, but I will take a lot of convincing that music streaming is the best approach in a moving car, with the poor network coverage we have in many rural areas. I think this will only be aggravated by higher bit rate / lossless streams that are now appearing. Why fit such a great sound system in the car and then in effect prevent people easily accessing high quality stored content.
Spotify seems to cache playlists, I've had no problem even in areas with no coverage.
*Note: I know there was some talk about "renting seat heaters" in a Tesla or other car ... so you can basically just pay a monthly fee for the months you want them ... but not sure if they went ahead or not.
BMW who talked about that, heated seats and adaptive cruise control, There's no indication they are wavering on it
After a few minutes of research;
  • BMW is contemplating the idea of imposing a monthly charge for heated seats and adaptive cruise control.
  • Mercedes may charge for “soundscapes,” or digitally generated sounds substituting for the engine and exhaust “notes,” for its new EQS electric car.
  • Ford’s Blue Cruise semi-autonomous system already adds as much as $3,200 to the sticker price, but drivers will also have to pay $600 for a three-year subscription to activate the technology.
  • GM’s new Maps+ targets owners of vehicles that weren’t equipped with built-in navigation. For $15 a month, owners can add navigation to existing services on their in-car touchscreens.
Vehicle Subscription Models Put a Twist on Consumer Choice (tirereview.com)

·
Registered
395 Posts
of press about a ware-able motor cycle airbag with a monthly subscription

Wow… just what is the wold coming to. This is almost literally extortion..”That’s a nice life you have there…It would be a shame if anything were to happen to it”

so what’s next a premium service where the airbag goes off sooner with slightly more air to cushion you? Just and extra£100 a year.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Wow… just what is the wold coming to. This is almost literally extortion..”That’s a nice life you have there…It would be a shame if anything were to happen to it”

so what’s next a premium service where the airbag goes off sooner with slightly more air to cushion you? Just and extra£100 a year.
Material for another balled?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Young Dave went for a ride on his bike
It wasn’t as fast as he liked
His subscription had failed
And on a fence he impaled
Why didn’t he just go for a hike

* all characters in this poem are fictional any similarities to people living or dead is purely coincidental

·
Registered
44 Posts
The audio input situation definitely isn't optimal. And we can never be sure if improvements will come. I don't trust roadmaps. Especially not Google ones.

As it stands now you have in the positive:

A genuinely awesome sounding hifi.
Most streaming apps built in and with a shared UI that's super easy to understand.

But in the negative:

No audio from USB.
The most basic BT implementation possible.
Streaming that's unreliable (both from connection issues and also, for me, Spotify bugs that render it temporarily unplayable.

Therefore in my experience I've had entire journeys with absolutely no music playable except by BTing my phone.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts