Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or above average environmentally conscious???
Or is it all about looking cool driving fast quietly paying less tax?

·
Registered
253 Posts
My cousin came to stay a couple of years ago and only announced that she was Vegan after I had painstakingly prepared the next few days of food to cater for her (what I knew at the time) vegetarian diet.... I was not impressed.

I don't mind the vegan interior although I'd have preferred some use of alcantara. And I think I will miss the comfort of the nice soft leather steering wheel of my V90.

Reactions: rgledhill

·
Super Moderator
700 Posts
For me it's something of vague interest but nothing more really. I'd have had the flattened cow option if it hadn't been in "instantly going to look grubby" beige.

Reactions: EblowSW

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
Well... obviously you don't have a 23-year old daughter who is fierce about such things. Having a BEV with a vegan interior and a CEO who talks about sustainability and life-cycle cost analysis, etc... I call that self-defense.

·
Registered
2019 Volvo S60 T8
20 Posts
I’ll admit that the vegan interior is a selling point to me. I avoid leather wherever possible, but do not avoid it 100% if it’s the only reasonable option like my last car. (If you’re curious, I apply a similar concept to what I eat.). I’ve found some vegan leathers to actually be better than many modern, manufactured leathers, but there is also plenty of awful vegan materials out there too. Probably the majority of vegan materials are awful since they‘re just colored plastics.

If WeaveTech was billed as a “new, more durable take on recycled materials,” then I think it would be a more reasonable selling point than just calling it vegan. Even if it’s not 100% vegan, being non-leather says more to a consumer than it being “vegan.” I don’t think the term “vegan” has ever increased interest in a product unless that’s already what you were looking for.

·
Registered
California | 2
65 Posts
My spouse and I almost always opted for the leather option in our vehicles. We purchased a pricy set of italian leather sofas a few years ago.

This is the first car we’ll purchase without leather that has the option. It was a tough call, but the environmental argument swayed us. We do think the Polestar leather is nicer than the WeaveTech — but not by enough. We decided we replace cars often enough, which already has a large impact on the environment, that we do not have to be getting new leather every single time. If we do leather again it would have to be for something we’ll keep longer, or is really noticeably better (like the red leather in our Alfa Romeo!).

For similar environmental reasons, we do eat vegetarian more frequently. Used to be twice a month we’d do vegetarian days, now once a week.

“Vegan” is probably not the right shorthand term for all this.

·
Registered
'21 2 | Palo Alto, CA
926 Posts
If WeaveTech was billed as a “new, more durable take on recycled materials,” then I think it would be a more reasonable selling point than just calling it vegan. Even if it’s not 100% vegan, being non-leather says more to a consumer than it being “vegan.” I don’t think the term “vegan” has ever increased interest in a product unless that’s already what you were looking for.
'Vegan' is as appealing and effective a marketing term as 'raw kale'

And that’s from a pair of vegetarians who volunteer with and donate to environmentalist orgs - though one of us likes their leather fashion and furniture and the other learned a while ago to not point out the apparent incoherence

·
Registered
134 Posts
My other cars are a Porsche and a Land Rover, so I figured going BEV might win me some karma 😅

Honestly, I've really gotten into self sustaining over the past few years as I've learned more about climate change to the point that my house is now fully powered via solar electricity + storage battery (The German Sonnen brand, not Tesla) and solar hot water panels that replace 100% of my hot water needs for 8 months a year. It's to the point that I subconsciously know how many kWh are being used when various things are powered up; accurate to about 300 watts.

Actually, my power consumption OCD may be an issue once I start tracking usage in the car... uh oh.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Looks great, goes fast, costs me nothing in tax.

The interior could be made from Giant Panda skin and I would have still bought it.

Vegan is a load of marketing waffle. There have been cars available with synthetic surfaces my whole life, none of which claimed to be 'vegan'.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i am too disposed to my carnivore genetics. Also two "vegans" I know regularly have a bacon break. Its just a nice car with a nice interior. I have solar panels and batteries on the house to save money (long term) not because i am an eco warrior.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not a vegan, but pretty damn close. Labeling the interior "vegan" is pretty cutesy, and, as others have noted, "vegan" is not a beloved term, so it makes one wonder why they would use that term to pitch the interior. But I appreciate that Polestar has created an attractive interior without relying on leather and that the company is giving a nod of recognition toward the impact large-scale cattle factories have on the environment.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think it’s a genuine expression of Polestar’s culture and values — and it’s good when that comes across in product. I must admit that I went for the leather seats almost purely for the ventilation feature to hedge against any risk of the roof transmitting more heat than marketed, and would have loved an equivalent alternative. My current vehicle has a really excellent wouldn’t—know-it’s-not-leather upholstery that has actually worn better than the real thing, and I was happy to give up cowhide for it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts