Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first Volvo car, either original or subsidiary, so the answer to my question my be hereditary. But why, do we push the gear lever forward, to go backwards and pull it back to go forwards? Seems counter intuitive, no? o_O

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
650 Posts
This is my first Volvo car, either original or subsidiary, so the answer to my question my be hereditary. But why, do we push the gear lever forward, to go backwards and pull it back to go forwards? Seems counter intuitive, no? o_O
My current girlfriend had the same issue. I thought it was due to the fact she's not used to driving autos

·
Registered
30 Posts
hehe I was about to say that yeah thats backwards. (only had Volvo's with manual stick before)
Then my brain started working and I suddenly realiced I have that today on my BMW

Reactions: PCR

·
Registered
232 Posts
It's the same on all Volvos, not sure why, I questioned it (to myself) when I got my V90 but learned to accept it. I don't have to think about it anymore, it's in muscle memory.

One thing I noticed on the P2 test drive was a nice improvement over my T8 in that the P2 gear selector has two clicks in each direction whereas the Volvo has only one. This means that in the Volvo you have to pull the gear lever twice to get moving P>N>D but with the polestar you can just pull it all the way once P>>D (via N in the first click).

·
Registered
351 Posts
It's the same as this on all (German) autos / semi-autos I've had too.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
650 Posts
When driving & resting one's arm on the lever whilst using the tablet, has anyone else accidently nudged the lever forward when going over a bump? You're not going to throw the car into reverse at 30mph but a little button on the lever to click to access reverse gear (like most cars) may have been an option. But the lever would maybe look a bit less cool so forget it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
It is common with automatic gear - and it stems from stupid history. Imagine Polestar would do it otherwise. Then we would have a never ending discussion.
To overcome this it would be needed to have total different approach. E.g. 2 switches instead of the ugly lever.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is the standard direction with every auto car I've had - BMW , Audi and VW

·
Registered
232 Posts
Or skip levers and buttons entirely and just use the google assistant. Make sure to say please

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My last auto, Jag F-Pace had a very intuitive round knob which you rotate (one stop) to D or R. I'm sure I'll get used to it but @dave is right, its easy to shift it when resting your arm to tap the screen, then see the error message on the screen.

·
Registered
Midnight Charcoal non-PP Towbar
33 Posts
I think the I-pace has buttons as well from memory (it was 18 months ago I test drove one).. I've also never understood why it's 'backwards' on autos, someone somewhere either thought it was a good idea or a wicked joke..

·
Registered
64 Posts
That's the one on the Nissan Leaf :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
I've also never understood why it's 'backwards' on autos
Semi automatics which are not flappy paddles: eg in rally cars use push forward to go down a gear.

In my mind this is because when you're braking the momentum inside the car (in your frame of rest) is moving 'forwards'.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts