Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Polestar Team,

I really want to take my first plunge into the EV world with a Polestar 2. But I've got a baby on the way (and planning for a 2nd a few years later) and a medium sized, so not sure if the car will suit my needs. Can you please comment on any your experience using the 2 as a family vehicle? How well does a rear facing infant car seat fit (Im 6'1" but my wife is only 5'6" so maybe she can fit it behind the passenger seat)? I've also read some complaints that the narrow rear doors make it harder to get the car seat in and out. Do you feel like there is sufficient storage in the trunk? Any other surprising things that have come up as you've used the car?

Worth noting, we also have an XC90 so won't be using the new car for road trips, etc. I'm looking for something fun yet still reasonably practical. The Polestar seems to have more of the latter as compared to the ID.4 :). But will it suffice on the practical side?

Thanks so much!

Ryan

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
We have been carrying our granddaughter around occasionally with us in the car and it's been fine. Started at a few months old and she's now 17 months. Car seat works well with the LATCH system, just have to pop the rear seat forward a bit to get the clip through to where the top belt connects to the back of the seat in the trunk. We usually put her behind me (I'm 6'3" with the seat all the way back) and she fits, although her feet are in the back of my seat. That way my wife can get to her from the front seat easily.

Others here have kids in the car all the time and can give you better feedback.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine barks at my daughter, but other than that it has been great. We have two kids under five, one forward and one rear facing at this point. The car has plenty of room for us.

·
Registered
2021 Dual Motor; Void/Slate; Pilot, Plus, Non-PP
99 Posts
I drive it around with four adults and find it very practical. The trunk is more than roomy enough and the liftback design is great. And in addition to the car's practicality, it is VERY fun to drive.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
have 2 kids. Started in the car with 1 rear facing, 1 forward facing (clek fllo). Now 1 forward facing, 1 in booster (maxicosi RodiFix). Rear facing fits well behind passenger and in center. Forward facing/booster goes anywhere (so long as there’s good access to the seat belt buckle whose tether could stand to be an inch longer if picking at nits).
Have done road trips with up to 3 adults, 2 kids and all our stuff fine. Take out the parcel shelf and the car can fit a surprising amount.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2 Moon PP Leather
155 Posts
In my opinion, Polestar 2 is a 2-people car at the best, not for family, for the reasons below.
1. Back seat is not big enough for true adults comfortably and back rest is too steep and not adjustable.
2. 2nd cup holder for front is just awkward and unusable.
3. Rear center tunnel is just not friendly for the rear passengers.
4. Panoramic roof is not friendly to the rear passengers.
5. Rear window sit up high and not providing good visibility for rear passengers.
6. Ride is more toward the harsh side than comfortable and rear passengers will feel more bumpy.
7. My car bricked three times in the public parking lots and I would not let my family standing out in the parking lot for 15 minutes to wait for the car reset.
It is a great vehicle for driving. It is fun, fast, and instant.
However, for family matters, I would not recommend.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Not sure about the US version suspect it’s the same but your laws might be different. The car has 3 isofix positions for seats / bases that need to be anchored in. 2 in the rear and the front seat. The front isofix position will come in handy if your Mrs is travelling on her own with the baby, just don’t forget to disable the air bag.

I don’t have the P2 yet but when I test drove it I had my 10 month child with me and the buggy easily fit in the boot with space to spare. I’m 6”1 also and with my in front and my mrs in the rear seat directly behind me, she is 5”7 and she was more comfortable in the P2 than in the Toyota CHR we had previously.

As your family grows the car may become too small especially if you need the double buggies etc. The middle seat in the rear will be inaccessible if you got fixed car seats, and even if they are the ones that detach from the base the middle seat will be tight for a full healthy adult, someone that has starved themselves their entire life and gets full on rabbit food maybe ok. If the kids were older and didn’t need car seats etc the car would be fine, it’s just the stage of having two kids in car seats that will make it small.

·
Registered
21 P*2, Void, Charcoal, Pilot, Plus, 20" Rims. picked up in Charlotte 10/21
46 Posts
Just calling out my experience and my opinion:

Wife has a '18 Tiguan 2.5 row, so that's the practicality wagon. We have two early teens who love being driven in the polestar, which is primarily my commuter.

Would I recommend it for extended or frequent family outings, no.

Do you want a fun commuter to dip your toe into the EV realm, and can you throw car seats in it and all go out shopping or to dinner (if you want to try that with tiny ones!), then heck yes!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think it probably depends on the wheel size and how well maintained the roads are where you live. My car has the 20-inch nonPP wheels and combined with the crumbling roads in Seattle, it can be a rough ride. But as far as space, seems like it should be plenty for 4 people. Also, while it hasn’t been crash tested in the US, it scored very well on the European crash tests and I suspect it’s probably one of the safest cars available right now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
We have the exact same combination - an XC90 and a Polestar 2. Just today swapped the XC90 for a new one. Children are 3 and 2.
The XC90 is used for most trips, but in a push everyone can get in to the Polestar. My oldest has to have the seat front facing and told not to kick the seat. My youngest sits behind the driver and is fine. Boot wise, compromised have to be made compared to what goes in to XC90.
Therefore as a second car, used occasionally, doing school runs etc it is fine. As a primary vehicle, for children at that age, I would struggle to recommend it.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
We (I; my wife remains unconvinced) are looking at the Rivian R1S or electric XC90 for the vehicle we go to once (one of) the Polestar lease is up. But that's to carry more people than stuff.

For the 4 of us, even for longer trips our (19" nonPP leathered) Polestar 2 is perfectly fine. My only real concern moving forward is at some point the range and charging of the competitors will be that much better that it will be compelling to shift up from this car. A longer range, faster charging, air suspended Polestar 2-sized EV (with all the software bugs worked out...) would be pretty much the ideal for up to 4.

For 5 people (e.g. 1 visiting grandparent), it's doable, but is a squeeze. The trips we've done in that arrangement had ~2hrs as the longest individual leg. I didn't hear too many complaints but imagine if that was more like a NorCal->SoCal run (5-8 hrs), I would have. If we did that regularly, would want something at least Model S/5-series/A6 sized - not Model 3/3-series/A3-sized like the Polestar 2 is.

Obviously for 6+ people (grandparents plural) would need a bigger car and for that reason am looking at the 3 row behemoths. Only issue is neither my wife or I want to have to drive that on the daily. If we could reliably rent/Turo an R1S, XC90-EV, or similar when the time comes for that, and just keep our smaller sedans for routine use, that would be the actual ideal I think.

·
Registered
125 Posts
From my test drive. A 5'10" passenger is fine in front of this rear facing convertible.
Car Vehicle Window Motor vehicle Automotive design
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
Void, Slate, Non-PP on 19's
237 Posts
In my opinion, Polestar 2 is a 2-people car at the best, not for family, for the reasons below.
1. Back seat is not big enough for true adults comfortably and back rest is too steep and not adjustable.
2. 2nd cup holder for front is just awkward and unusable.
3. Rear center tunnel is just not friendly for the rear passengers.
4. Panoramic roof is not friendly to the rear passengers.
5. Rear window sit up high and not providing good visibility for rear passengers.
6. Ride is more toward the harsh side than comfortable and rear passengers will feel more bumpy.
7. My car bricked three times in the public parking lots and I would not let my family standing out in the parking lot for 15 minutes to wait for the car reset.
It is a great vehicle for driving. It is fun, fast, and instant.
However, for family matters, I would not recommend.
Obviously this is all personal, so I am not telling you are wrong, merely giving my opinion.

1. My adult daughters sit in the back seat happily with no complaints, as do their friends and boyfriends/fiance when I give them lifts. Work colleagues have not complained, even stated they feel like it is roomy and comfortable in the back. I bought the car to carry up to five adults comfortably (admittedly the middle person in the back needs to be small, but as that is expected to be Granny, then that should still work). I came from a BMW 3 series GT where the leg room in the back was a bit bigger, and prior to that a series of Ford Mondeos, where again the room in the back was admitted a bit bigger but not much.
2. Cupholders are pants - we all agree on that. I actually think that is as a result of deciding to make the main screen portrait, if it was set to landscape, then there would have been space under for cups as almost all other cars do, and hence not having to force cupholders to arm rest.
3. Rear centre tunnel is standard for all rear wheel drive cars. This one is based on the XC40 where that tunnel also exists. It existed in my Beamer. A pain, but not a deal breaker.
4. I just don't get that at all. If anything the only people who get to enjoy the roof are those in the back
5. Rear window is not that great for the driver. My children have not been young enough to spend their days waving at people behind for a long time, and certainly not seen adults wanting to spend lots of time looking out the rear with all the contortions and motion sickness that brings. But each to their own :).
6. Again not had reports of MORE bumpy in the back than the front from the adults who have been in the car. I'm fairly sure kids don't care (it's been a while as I say, mine are adults now, but I don't remember any critique of ride quality from them when they were small). It is a heavy car, all EVs are, so the suspension has to deal with that. AND it is a sporty car, the suspension is also set up for that too. If that is not for you then fair enough.
7. Yeah, that is a complete pisser and you have my sympathy, as do all those who have had that happen to them. I have been lucky - so far. But has been mentioned before, this is new tech, and even Tesla (who arguably have the most experience in this space) occasionally suffer the same. But then ICE cars break down too. I have been towed off the M6 in the past.

·
Registered
MY 2022, Long Range Dual-Motor, Snow/Nappa, Pilot, Plus, Tow hitch
500 Posts
Just a comment regarding 3. Centre tunnel.

Having tried sitting in the Tesla 3. then the P2, I actually preferred the back seat of the Polestar for the outer passengers, as the seat squab is a little higher relative to the footwell.
A result of most of the battery being in the centre tunnel instead of under your feet.
If you regularly have to transport 5 adults, I'm aware that the tunnel isn't ideal.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Just a comment regarding 3. Centre tunnel.

Having tried sitting in the Tesla 3. then the P2, I actually preferred the back seat of the Polestar for the outer passengers, as the seat squab is a little higher relative to the footwell.
A result of most of the battery being in the centre tunnel instead of under your feet.
If you regularly have to transport 5 adults, I'm aware that the tunnel isn't ideal.
and for the OP, I’d venture if they’re transporting 5, then almost assuredly the middle rear seat will have a kid there, not an adult. We’ve tried putting an adult between 2 car seats in the back and that’s a no go. Whereas on the side of a central car seat, the adult’s shoulder can fill the area of the C pillar lateral to the seat.
so for many families the rear transmission hump is a nonissue

Reactions: Fugixi

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have driven two babies in a Fiat Panda, so yes the Polestar is more than enough.
Will you agree with me coming from a XC90? You'll have to test drive and see

1 - 20 of 26 Posts