Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Void Polestar 2 2020
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seem to be a number of people who have had issues initiating charge at AC destination chargers.
I completely failed to get a charge at a (white) Tesla destination charger -I got a red error message on the dash and subsequently had issues getting a charge from a 16A commando socket
I’ve seen references to people failing to charge from AC Pod-Point chargers

So....is there an issue?
Has anyone managed to charge from a Tesla destination charger?
Are Polestar acknowledging the problem?

·
Registered
196 Posts
There seem to be a number of people who have had issues initiating charge at AC destination chargers.
I completely failed to get a charge at a (white) Tesla destination charger -I got a red error message on the dash and subsequently had issues getting a charge from a 16A commando socket
I’ve seen references to people failing to charge from AC Pod-Point chargers

So....is there an issue?
Has anyone managed to charge from a Tesla destination charger?
Are Polestar acknowledging the problem?
Not sure if your problem is intermittent or not. However I have had the same problem on my home charger. For me the solution was to make sure the connection was firmly put in place. It is possible the polestar needs a firm ‘handshake’ to ensure communication.

·
Registered
Void Polestar 2 2020
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I’ve seen these issues but this is really about non-home charging (and in many ways is more significant because it can lead owners being stranded).
I’m confident having spent 20 minutes inserting and removing the charge cable it wasn’t an issue of how firmly I placed the cable into the connector.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yes I’ve seen these issues but this is really about non-home charging (and in many ways is more significant because it can lead owners being stranded).
I’m confident having spent 20 minutes inserting and removing the charge cable it wasn’t an issue of how firmly I placed the cable into the connector.
I did try a couple of local pod points. The 22kw I could not seem to get to work. However the 7kw with the polestar cable has worked OK twice with no problem. Although it only charges at 3 or so kW. Not tried the larger and therefore heavier DC chargers yet. I am interested in any further comments from forum members though.

·
Registered
Void Polestar 2 2020
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m not sure whether the Tesla destination charger I tried to use was a 3 phase 16A one or not so I guess this might be a common issue.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Being a newbie in EV I thought Tesla charger are only for Tesla cars but apparently not?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Being a newbie in EV I thought Tesla charger are only for Tesla cars but apparently not?
You can use the destination chargers (i.e. 7/11kW home charge points or installed at hotels/pubs etc.), but not the high power superchargers (50kW+)

·
Registered
275 Posts
You can use the destination chargers (i.e. 7/11kW home charge points or installed at hotels/pubs etc.),
But only the ones with the white sign. The ones with the red sign only work with Teslas.

Edit: Look for the type no. on the left side of the housing below the red reset-button, the signs could be misleading:
-03 is Tesla only
-00 und -01 should work with all cars

·
Registered
280 Posts
Used 7kw with Polestar cable so only 3kw and 50kw shell DC charger without any problems, getting commando socket installed tomorrow to use with Ohme cable so will report on how that goes

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've posted in another thread (the "should 7KW be possible?" thread) on this issue. I've yet to do a successful 7KW AC charge away from my home having tried five 7KW chargers, with two different cables (supplied 3p 16A, and purchased a 3ph 32A), handshake is fine, but cannot even get close to 7KW (not even close to 3KW) only charges at 10A and 0-5miles/hour.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
What the hell am I looking at in that picture?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've posted in another thread (the "should 7KW be possible?" thread) on this issue. I've yet to do a successful 7KW AC charge away from my home having tried five 7KW chargers, with two different cables (supplied 3p 16A, and purchased a 3ph 32A), handshake is fine, but cannot even get close to 7KW (not even close to 3KW) only charges at 10A and 0-5miles/hour.
And you definitely increased the amp limit from the default 6a?

·
Registered
197 Posts
yes. always left at 32A. Tried moving it about closer to the 9A it was charging at to see if I could coax it to change but no. on my home charger it gets to 28A

·
Registered
300 Posts
They are physically the same but programmed differently (well, I think it's just dip-switches inside, not sure).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts