Polestar Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Boy, didn't expect an attempt at a bad pun to generate all this.
There's no smugness here when it comes to others paying high prices. That includes me, as my wife and daughter drive ICE vehicles, so I'm feeling that pain too.
I'll make a mental note to throw in lots of emojis and stuff next time I need sarcasm to come through! :LOL: :ROFLMAO::unsure::rolleyes:
South Park did the smug, back when Prius were a thing.

There was a killer smug swarm from a Geroge Clooney Oscars speech and all the prius drivers, nearly destroyed the town.

It's not like us polestar owners are actually saving money, we're paying way more for a car in order to pay less on gas...

Someone that bought a rav4 prime is paying less for their car and about the same on fuel.

Are we saving money on gas, sure..

But are we saving money overall? Heck no
That's assuming that you'd buy a Rav4 Prime instead. My polestar replaced a previous Audi A5. Was actually about the same price.

Personally not that smug about the gas prices considering the primary driver of the increase is people being murdered by Russians.

The point is there are many vehicles less expensive than a polestar 😁

The rav4 prime is subject to some crazy markups above MSRP, but in theory should be available for about 15k less than my polestar

A basic $25k car will have a lower cost of operation vs a polestar, it'll also be a relatively miserable place to spend time.

For many though, especially those in 60,000+ dollar pick up trucks driving solo to work or the strip mall, my heart doesn’t break. They’re part of the problem driving up demand, and prices. Im mad at them more so now. Because they could afford to make a better decision and didn’t.
And if that is also a truck they use for work? All general/roofing contractors I know have to bring their own trucks and tools or get a ride from someone with a truck. HVAC techs get a van typically but need their own tools.

What if they bought a fixer-upper and they need to haul stuff to the dump and bring home sheet goods like plywood and drywall? I can tell you from personal experience that the savings on building a set of stairs to the front door and a small 9x7 back deck was huge. Materials alone I was around 7-8000. Bid to build the front stairs only for us was $15,000. Back deck would have been closer to $20,000. Thankfully we can borrow the in laws’ Nissan Frontier - but I would otherwise have been looking long and hard at buying a truck as I have done and will be done many other projects.

maybe they bought a massive truck for the one time a year they need it. Or maybe they actually bought the vehicle that fit their needs.

For EVs, the bigger problem is they don’t devalue as much - good for us owners, but terrible for anyone wanting to buy a used EV that’s a practical vehicle. Used Leafs don’t count since the batteries are usually badly degraded.

Boy, didn't expect an attempt at a bad pun to generate all this.
There's no smugness here when it comes to others paying high prices. That includes me, as my wife and daughter drive ICE vehicles, so I'm feeling that pain too.
I'll make a mental note to throw in lots of emojis and stuff next time I need sarcasm to come through! :LOL: :ROFLMAO::unsure::rolleyes:
It’s kinda hard to tell when someone is being serious or sarcastic on a forum especially with no emojis or something to give it away. My bad for misinterpreting the way you said it.

It’s kinda hard to tell when someone is being serious or sarcastic on a forum especially with no emojis or something to give it away. My bad for misinterpreting the way you said it.
It's all good, a lot gets lost in translation online. It's a good reminder to be clear when I'm writing, and to cut people some slack when I'm reading.

The point is there are many vehicles less expensive than a polestar 😁

The rav4 prime is subject to some crazy markups above MSRP, but in theory should be available for about 15k less than my polestar

A basic $25k car will have a lower cost of operation vs a polestar, it'll also be a relatively miserable place to spend time.
This all depends on the geographic location of the owner. I had a Toyota CHR prior to the P2, cost of operation wasn’t much cheaper than the P2, and I was paying lower fuel prices.

CHR
Cost of PCP £480 (nil down)
Cost of fuel £200 a month (fuel prices were about 40% cheaper than now)
Cost of tax about £10 a month
Cost of service about £25 a month (over 2 years main and minor service)
Cost of other charges that I would have paid if I used same route to commute £120 a month.
Total monthly cost excluding tyres and other wear and tear items £835

P2
Cost per month £850 (paid cash so divided over the cost of 5 years)
Other costs per month nil (I charge for free at local supermarket for commuting).
Total cost per month £850
Total cost £15 a month for a vastly more expensive car.

This is a like for like comparison for my commute and nothing else. If I go away (haven’t yet in p2) then the charging cost vs fuel cost comparison could have been made as well which may have altered the figures.

This all depends on the geographic location of the owner. I had a Toyota CHR prior to the P2, cost of operation wasn’t much cheaper than the P2, and I was paying lower fuel prices.

CHR
Cost of PCP £480 (nil down)
Cost of fuel £200 a month (fuel prices were about 40% cheaper than now)
Cost of tax about £10 a month
Cost of service about £25 a month (over 2 years main and minor service)
Cost of other charges that I would have paid if I used same route to commute £120 a month.
Total monthly cost excluding tyres and other wear and tear items £835

P2
Cost per month £850 (paid cash so divided over the cost of 5 years)
Other costs per month nil (I charge for free at local supermarket for commuting).
Total cost per month £850
Total cost £15 a month for a vastly more expensive car.

This is a like for like comparison for my commute and nothing else. If I go away (haven’t yet in p2) then the charging cost vs fuel cost comparison could have been made as well which may have altered the figures.
Or just use our calculator :) it’s much easier!

It's not like us polestar owners are actually saving money, we're paying way more for a car in order to pay less on gas...

Someone that bought a rav4 prime is paying less for their car and about the same on fuel.

Are we saving money on gas, sure..

But are we saving money overall? Heck no
100% I say this a lot to people, there is no point in spending whatever amount on a brand new car to try and save at the fuel pump. You may as well buy a cheap used car as for the difference in capital you can still buy fuel for many years and still be saving money.

For us, we wanted a new car, my wife was doing way too many miles in the BMW M2 Competition and it has a stupidly small fuel tank, plus it was a great time to sell our old one. Buying electric to save money was never in the equation. Not getting hammered on the depreciation, and fewer trips to the petrol station definitely. And we have fixed the last one 🤣

I did not take the smug comment as meant nastily or with malicious intent at all, then again I do look for the best intentions in people especially on international forums like these where you don't get non-verbal communication, nor intonation, and most importantly English may not be peoples native language. Besides, electricity prices are sky high as well and rising. Am I smug that I fixed my electric rate until November 2023, you bet you I am. Everyone had that opportunity by just watching the news and keeping track on what is happening in the world.

For me the switch made sense but only because I "necessitate" a high performance practical vehicle, and with the gas prices even before the jump, my lease was going to almost pay itself off, now it is actually paying itself off. My other consideration was the new Golf R but my god, VW really screwed that one up

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.