Polestar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think there's little doubt that the native Android integrated system will become the standard. Each manufacturer has been struggling with these info systems for years with mixed success. What Volvo has done is outsource it to someone who knows how to do it better than anyone else (Google). I have to believe this will become a standard. Then car manufacturers can focus on the things they do best.
Yet it’s amazing how many people don’t want any part of a Google system based on privacy and other concerns. I decided against the P2 for other reasons, but I would have seen the Google as a plus.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This Polestar 2 is my second EV but the first without a range extender. The first one was an Opel Ampera. I drove in three years 150.000 km mostly at a speed of 130 km/h. I only went to the dealer for 3 short maintenance visits, which cost me 45 minutes each. The behavior on the road in curves was lousy but the car was great.
The total line up is Opel Ampera, BMW 225e, Mercedes C 350e and now the Polestar 2. I mounted 55 solar panels on the roof, so in 4 years, I am driving for free. :sneaky:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I drove a Tesla Model S for 4 years starting in 2013. I drive a Volvo XC40 now and am starting to get cold feet about the P*2. I am starting to get the feeling that in a year or two the EV market will be drastically different than it is now.

My single biggest concern with the P*2 is the relatively inefficient Wh/mile.

In Bjørn Nyland's real-world tests, it used 279 Wh/km. Worse than every other EV he tested except for the Audi e-tron. That's ~40% worse than the VW ID3 on the same route in similar temperature etc.

·
Registered
219 Posts
First EV, replacing a VW Polo, had mostly A3s and a 3 series BMW before. Brothers big into electric cars. Been waiting for the right time and car and that BIK to go BEV. Was days away from getting an Ipace but they stopped selling 2020 model right as I placed my order.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Toyota dropped the ball on EVs early on. Similar to BMW.
Truly. A lot of Japan missed the boat by doubling down on hydrogen when they should’ve been pivoting to BEVs. I’m switching to the Polestar from a Lexus IS as they’ve got literally nothing on the menu or even announced for the future (except for the UX BEV that isn’t coming to the US).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Does a plug in hybrid count as an EV?

I have a VW Golf GTE which has an electric range of 22-25 miles, it‘s been a great car especially when you push the GTE button. I looked at another plug in hybrid (Range Rover Evoque) as a replacement which has an electric range of 40 ish miles but ultimately it felt like I was going backwards, the Polestar 2 with say 200 - 250 mile range more than meets my requirements and also be more fun. What would be the point of lugging around a car with an engine which would hardly be used?. This linked to zero benefit in kind and no class 1 NICS when leased through my company makes it also a financially good decision for both me and the company.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I drove a Tesla Model S for 4 years starting in 2013. I drive a Volvo XC40 now and am starting to get cold feet about the P*2. I am starting to get the feeling that in a year or two the EV market will be drastically different than it is now.

In Bjørn Nyland's real-world tests, it used 279 Wh/km. Worse than every other EV he tested except for the Audi e-tron. That's ~40% worse than the VW ID3 on the same route in similar temperature etc.
Check out this page in the German forum (I use Chrome to translate):

Bunch of Germans (who seem to generally drive faster than us) are reporting their real-world consumption, including on longer trips like one 486 km trip through mountains.

Here's a plot of some of their real-world data (really, you gotta love German precision):
[the dark blue line is predicted from a model using drag coefficient, frontal area, and curb weight]

Long story short, seems we're looking at 15-25 kWh/100 km, with values clustered close to the center of that range and generally increasing with speed. Of course, this is also dependent on stop/go frequency, AC settings, astrological influences, etc.

It is extremely unlikely that I'm going to be driving nonstop at ~70-80 mph overnight without coffee like Bjorn did. Just thinking about doing that with the kids in tow makes me want to physically harm myself.

On our last weekend trip I checked my trip settings and I barely cracked 60 mph for average speed, between traffic, etc. And we stopped every <2 hrs because of one thing or another (usually a full bladder). As long as I can time those stops with 10-20 min fast charges I think I'm going to be fine in the P*2. And that's for the <5 longer road trips we do a year. >95% of my driving is <<150 mi before coming back home.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Long story short, seems we're looking at 15-25 kWh/100 mi, with values clustered close to the center of that range and generally increasing with speed. Of course, this is also dependent on stop/go frequency, AC settings, astrological influences, etc.
I think you mean 100km.

·
Registered
44 Posts
First EV for myself too..
Coming out of an Audi S5 Sportback that has been great to be fair as a work, family and fun tool - so the PS2 has a fair bit to live up to.
Wife has a petrol 2 series Gran Tourer so we are not a full EV family just yet, time will tell..

·
Registered
19 Posts
First EV for me. Needed to go electric as i wanted to start driving to work 2 or 3 times a week rather than taking the train. Need to protect my wife from COVID, so being on busy trains and tubes is not ideal. Haven't traded in, as my other car is a Land Rover Defender which i will continue to use in the countryside for various activities that require off-road capability.

Received my VOID with PP a week ago and I am completely in love with it. Yes there are a few disappointing issues, but it is an unbelievable car to drive. There will undoubtedly be people who suffer significant issues at the beginning and you just have to hope that you are not one of the unlucky ones. With regards to the functions that are not on the car now and will need to be updated, just think of them as presents on Christmas; it would be boring to open them all at once!

My advice to anyone considering a Polestar is this. If you want a perfect car right now buy a Diesel BMW/Audi/VW, you will be very unfortunate to experience any issues, and wait for Polestar to bed in a little. If you want to rock around now in a car that turns heads and can put up with mild inconveniences then you can't beat Polestar!

Sorry, did i mention that i love my Polestar??

·
Registered
199 Posts
This is an interesting thread as I expected more existing EV owners as a percentage! I had a Vauxhall Ampera (=Chevy Volt) for 5 years and loved it, then went full EV 18 months ago with a Kona Electric (step forwards in range, drivetrain, battery; backwards in refinement, smoothness, quietness), then swapped the wife's Yaris Hybrid for a Zoe, now swapping the Kona for a Polestar sometime towards the end of the year or whenever it happens.

I've always argued that plug-in or range-extended hybrids are a useful stepping stone towards full EV ownership and the number of ex-Ampera/Volt/i3Rex owners sort of proves my point...

Sadly I think many Polestar "Christmas presents" are likely to be delivered long after Christmas. They're starting to talk about the app as being early next year now, and timed charging (a basic requirement in my view) won't be available until mid-2021!

·
Registered
199 Posts
@standardcode

I'm not quite sure where you get that from. His results are here:

You can filter these to only show 120kph (82mph) runs and sort by efficiency:

This shows that the Polestar 2 is not great but not bad. The ID3 is 205Wh/km so it's only 10% better than the Polestar 2?

I think you might have missed that some of the figures are at 90kph, some at 110 and some at 120kph.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ah I see, you're looking at a different tab, the 1000km challenge. That's less representative because the Norway route seems to result in very different answers - I suspect it's more hilly or something. His "Range" tab is far more useful as that's always over the same test route and is in both directions to be more representative.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah, that's a crazy high number. Fortunately, in the world that is real to me, at speeds I need to drive long distance, I can drive at 170 Wh/km by avoiding hard breaks and accelerations, and being extra careful, 16.3 Wh/km. With a higher percentage at 110+ km/h, up to 190 Wh/km. This is a standard 19", at 11-18C temperatures, 1-2 passengers + driver. In the Norwegian Fb group there is a long discussion what is to be expected, and a rather wide range of consumption numbers, but none as high in Bjørn's 1000km challenge test. But it's clear that this is no Model 3 in terms of efficiency, and it can be hard, but not entirely impossible to achieve WLTP range.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I am seriously considering the ID4 and I have never owned a German car in my life.
I also thought about it for a quick second.

But - if you're concerns about the Polestar relate to software availability and launch issues, well I'm sure there will be some of that in the ID4 as well. VW already had to delay the ID3 launch because of software bugginess and the initial tests of the ID4 infotainment show lagginess already (see Autogefuhl's preview).

And for the ID4 you're looking at Q2-Q3 2021 deliveries since the 2000 or so 1st edition models are sold out now in the US (within 1 day).

If the concern is range/efficiency, both the P*2 and ID4 are estimated to get ~250 mi EPA range, and the ID4 has if anything a bigger battery implying it will have worse efficiency. It's a substantially bigger car so it makes sense the efficiency will be hit.

Folks with their P*2s in hand are reporting reasonable kWh/km or kWh/mi numbers for the Polestar 2 of ~18-23 kWh/100 km - Bjorn's results in his 1000km test are very much an outlier and disagree with his own separate test.

Will see when we have it ourselves, but for me I think the ID4 is only worth it if you're actually looking for a BEV crossover to come mid-2021. In which case, also check out the MachE, XC40, and Model Y.

Edit: Saw your last post. I completely agree and am really holding out for a BEV Volvo S60/V60. Am hoping that when the P*2 lease is up that will be out - or the 2024 model of the P*2 matches that spec.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts