Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looking good, momentum gathering on us Void lovers!!! Hopefully in one week I’ll be adding to that list.
Ah good news, my fingers are crossed for you. I know how it feels the lead up to the big day! I have been waiting since the end of November, I went for a pre configured car, a bit nervous not knowing the history, i was told I would have it pre Christmas, finally I got a delivery date for Christmas Eve, but then delayed due to recall.
I was unaware by the lease company until late in the process it had slate grey!, I was a tad concerned but glad I went for it, I love the combination!

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,877 Posts
Looks fantastic, congratulations! :)

By the way, you can pull the cable out away from the charger - it swings out at the top to help cars with the charge port in a daft place like the Polestar...

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
I feel the cars with charger within the front bumper (like the Kia E-Niro etc.)
There are two huge problems with those.
  1. Some European studies have proven that parking with the nose in (i.e., not reverse parking) leads to more accidents involving kids. It was even part of the Norwegian driving license curriculum.
  2. The charge port cover freezes like a motherfu*ker during winters. Watch this video for instance starting at 5:59. The most relevant bit starts at 22:50.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
There are two huge problems with those.
  1. Some European studies have proven that parking with the nose in (i.e., not reverse parking) leads to more accidents involving kids. It was even part of the Norwegian driving license curriculum.
  2. The charge port cover freezes like a motherfu*ker during winters. Watch this video for instance starting at 5:59. The most relevant bit starts at 22:50.
1. I can kind of get ... although I'm not sure what it's like in other countries, but we don't have many kids running around car parks. But also how can people not see the kids? Logically you'd had less chance to see them if they ran from the side behind you. Anyway ... I'm sure lots of research has been done.

2. That's just bad design. There would most defiantly be a way to make one without issues as shown. However by that video the chargers need to be freeze proof! :D

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
In the nose has been enormously helpful on both the Kona and Zoe as you simply drive up to any charger, irrespective of design, make, brand etc and plug in. Just look at the number of videos Bjorn Nyland has done where whatever car he's in is parked at a weird angle, normally straddling two spaces, simply to get the cable to connect. I agree about the icing problem but Teslas (for instance) have heated charge ports for this reason so it's an easy thing to solve. It's a pain in the derriere having it where it is and could quite literally stop you charging somewhere which you would never have with a nose-mounted charge point.

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
Not solved by backing in if the CCS lead is on the other side of the car - in most cases it won't reach round the car to go into the socket. I've seen several situations where it would simply have been impossible to charge a Polestar, but a Kona or Zoe would have driven straight in and been charging in seconds.

I do agree that the car looks better in a parking space nose-forwards though :).

·
Registered
179 Posts
3. If you’re involved in a front-end accident (most accidents are), repair is a lot more expensive due to needing to replace the charge port/cables.

I’ve had an i3 for 6+ years (charge port on US passenger rear), and while I certainly have had to back in at funky angles at times, I’ve never not been able to get the charging cable to reach.

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
I suspect US parking spaces are rather wider than UK ones! There's barely enough space to open the door to get out, never mind park off-centre. Also the Polestar is a lot wider than the i3.

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
It is a very haunchy car :)

·
Registered
P2, Snow, Slate, PP, Hitch, Nextbase Dashcam, 20% Tint, Polestar, give us more regen. breaking!
308 Posts
Looks fantastic, congratulations! :)

By the way, you can pull the cable out away from the charger - it swings out at the top to help cars with the charge port in a daft place like the Polestar...

View attachment 2942
Thanks for that tip. We have a number of level 3 chargers and I find the cables very short. Works fine on our Kia connected to the grill but the side may be a stretch. I'll have to see if any additional length is available when I scope chargers. Many of ours are SAE on one side and CHAdeMO on the other. However only one cable can be used at a time. Depending on the situation and how the car in the adjacent charger is parked the geometry sometimes doesn't work. Fortunately if it's a "Flow" network charger the app will let you know if that location is in use. As there becomes more and more competition for available chargers I expect folks will need to book time slots in advance so the unit is actually available when you arrive during a long road trip. If kids are in the car waiting 45-60min for the last person to finish is not an option.

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
This is exactly what I meant :).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts