Polestar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

· Registered
2022 PoleStar 2 - Dual Motors - Void
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally charge at home, my son needed to charge the other night and since my Polestar has a bigger battery, I have enough charge to get to work, so I thought I would just charge at an EA on my way home from work. Stopped at the EA near my house yesterday evening, and wouldn't you know it, 2 of the 3 chargers were offline. There was a car charging and another one waiting, so I looked at the app and the next closest chargers were about 3 miles away, but with traffic the way it was it would be 15 minutes, since I still had 38 percent SoC, I ended up just going home.

Looking through the app, I am seeing so many chargers that are offline. I'm talking complete charger locations with every charger offline with the following message:

"All Chargers at this station are currently unavailable. We Apologize for the inconvenience"

I took a look at the charging network I normally use in SoCal when I travel there, and near my brothers house in Eastvale, the main one I use and the biggest one in the area (Ontario Mills) is also offline! the only one within 20 miles of his house is in Corona and only has 4 chargers and is always full. That means that I would have to travel to the City of Yorba Linda, which is about 25 miles away and only has three chargers.

This is starting to become a huge problem. I normally charge 90 percent of the time at home, but depend on chargers when I travel. I'm not sure what's going on, I've never seen so many chargers offline

Font Screenshot Rectangle Number Circle

· Registered
135 Posts
Yuppp EA sucks a big one. I was road tripping frequently last year and it wasn't as bad as it is now. Whole sites are down, or some that show online in the app that are not really up. Then you get to certain stations where they are "going thru an update" and only putting out 50-60kw (or less)... for weeks. New EA hardware already failing.

Competitors to EA cannot come soon enough, they clearly don't care. EA feels like a half assed effort just because VW had to satisfy their fine for diesel gate.

I've been using EVGo where I can even though its paid, as there seems to be fewer problems with them

· Banned
1,236 Posts
I’m not going to defend EA, but this has not been my experience….either locally in Maryland or on my trip through Pa, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois on my way to Chicago, and back. Always found working chargers…no idea if all of them worked, at all my stops, and didn’t care, so long as there was at least one that was working, and open when I needed one.

· Registered
135 Posts
I’m not going to defend EA, but this has not been my experience….either locally in Maryland or on my trip through Pa, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois on my way to Chicago, and back. Always found working chargers…no idea if all of them worked, at all my stops, and didn’t care, so long as there was at least one that was working, and open when I needed one.
Might be a west coast thing, more EV out here I am assuming. Its especially bad near cities since people want to use it as parking or get their moneys worth on the free charging, and there are only 4 dispensers in one station. Still many stations fully offline in California along major travel corridors

· Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yuppp EA sucks a big one. I was road tripping frequently last year and it wasn't as bad as it is now. Whole sites are down, or some that show online in the app that are not really up. Then you get to certain stations where they are "going thru an update" and only putting out 50-60kw (or less)... for weeks. New EA hardware already failing.

Competitors to EA cannot come soon enough, they clearly don't care. EA feels like a half assed effort just because VW had to satisfy their fine for diesel gate.

I've been using EVGo where I can even though its paid, as there seems to be fewer problems with them
The problem with EVGo...there's not that many of them. There are only two chargers near me, and they are only 50kW

Product Rectangle Communication Device Font Software

I guess that's better than 0kW, which EA seems to be delivering these days...

Reactions: Robaround

· Registered
56 Posts
EA's problems have been called out and documented frequently. Even the new ones that replaced the Signet versions had issues of not working in the cold. It's a huge problem and the competitors usually don't offer fast enough alternatives.

· Registered
898 Posts
Eas really the only game in town. I've seen some stations down as well recently

It seems like they are upgrading the equipment and not really doing it in a well planned or thought out manner.

While this is all relatively new, it's a growth war between drivers and station count. Until pretty recently there were so few non Tesla EVs that it wasn't a problem but that sure changed fast

· Registered
2022 Polestar 2, Snow, Pilot
485 Posts
I normally charge at home, my son needed to charge the other night and since my Polestar has a bigger battery, I have enough charge to get to work, so I thought I would just charge at an EA on my way home from work. Stopped at the EA near my house yesterday evening, and wouldn't you know it, 2 of the 3 chargers were offline. There was a car charging and another one waiting, so I looked at the app and the next closest chargers were about 3 miles away, but with traffic the way it was it would be 15 minutes, since I still had 38 percent SoC, I ended up just going home.

Looking through the app, I am seeing so many chargers that are offline. I'm talking complete charger locations with every charger offline with the following message:

"All Chargers at this station are currently unavailable. We Apologize for the inconvenience"

I took a look at the charging network I normally use in SoCal when I travel there, and near my brothers house in Eastvale, the main one I use and the biggest one in the area (Ontario Mills) is also offline! the only one within 20 miles of his house is in Corona and only has 4 chargers and is always full. That means that I would have to travel to the City of Yorba Linda, which is about 25 miles away and only has three chargers.

This is starting to become a huge problem. I normally charge 90 percent of the time at home, but depend on chargers when I travel. I'm not sure what's going on, I've never seen so many chargers offline

View attachment 21487
Most probably the stations that are completely offline are undergoing updates to the new generation. The new ones are much better and worth the wait.

· Banned
1,236 Posts
Might be a west coast thing, more EV out here I am assuming. Its especially bad near cities since people want to use it as parking or get their moneys worth on the free charging, and there are only 4 dispensers in one station. Still many stations fully offline in California along major travel corridors
Yes. Interesting factoid. I only use DC fast charging stations.

Meanwhile, Maryland leads with almost 30% of the chargers in the state that offer a minimum of 30 minutes of free charging. On the other hand, Massachusetts is the stingiest state of the top 10, with only 6% of charging stations (150 total) in the state offering free charging for electric vehicle drivers.

Just like free stations, Maryland leads the top 10 states in having the highest share of DC fast chargers at 16%. While Massachusetts was the worst state for DC charger availability at 6%, the state of New York was second worst at 8% despite its large number of chargers overall. All other states in the top 10 have DC chargers available in at least one in 10 charging stations.”

· Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most probably the stations that are completely offline are undergoing updates to the new generation. The new ones are much better and worth the wait.
Man I hope you are right! Getting very frustrating

· Registered
2022 Polestar 2, Snow, Pilot
485 Posts
As is typical in this day and age, you have to go to another app to get news about the app you want to use. PlugShare confirms that this Bakersfield EA station is undergoing the upgrade.

And here's a pic of the new type when they re-opened up here, with some awesome dude's awesome car charging on one. That's one cable, with an extension spring at the top and holstered at the other side.

Sky Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive side-view mirror Hood
Font Parallel Screenshot Electric blue Circle

· Banned
1,236 Posts
As is typical in this day and age, you have to go to another app to get news about the app you want to use. PlugShare confirms that this Bakersfield EA station is undergoing the upgrade.

And here's a pic of the new type when they re-opened up here, with some awesome dude's awesome car charging on one. That's one cable, with an extension spring at the top and holstered at the other side.

View attachment 21490 View attachment 21491

Looks nice and sleek, like the great looking care behind the charger. 👍

· Registered
898 Posts

View attachment 21490 View attachment 21491

I've used these at kettleman city, they're a huge upgrade

· Registered
56 Posts
The new units have actually not been working well in the cold. And when I say not working well I meean not working at all. It's depressing.

· Registered
272 Posts
EA is my favorite, but they do not place a priority on fixing down machines and it’s really confusing. I really like that they’ve added the cable slack tension to the machine (like the gas pumps have had for decades) but it still does not absorb the end of cable to keep the plastic connector from slamming into the ground and breaking.

· Registered
26 Posts
EA is ripping out critical chargers on I-75 in Florida. Basically folks are screwed if they have to take that highway since CCS charging is non existent in that area (I-95 is completely different).

And the crazy part is the chargers they ripped out and replaced with new ones in Tampa are just as broken as the old ones.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.