Polestar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Banned
1,236 Posts
I’m not going to defend EA, but this has not been my experience….either locally in Maryland or on my trip through Pa, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois on my way to Chicago, and back. Always found working chargers…no idea if all of them worked, at all my stops, and didn’t care, so long as there was at least one that was working, and open when I needed one.

· Banned
1,236 Posts
Might be a west coast thing, more EV out here I am assuming. Its especially bad near cities since people want to use it as parking or get their moneys worth on the free charging, and there are only 4 dispensers in one station. Still many stations fully offline in California along major travel corridors
Yes. Interesting factoid. I only use DC fast charging stations.

Meanwhile, Maryland leads with almost 30% of the chargers in the state that offer a minimum of 30 minutes of free charging. On the other hand, Massachusetts is the stingiest state of the top 10, with only 6% of charging stations (150 total) in the state offering free charging for electric vehicle drivers.

Just like free stations, Maryland leads the top 10 states in having the highest share of DC fast chargers at 16%. While Massachusetts was the worst state for DC charger availability at 6%, the state of New York was second worst at 8% despite its large number of chargers overall. All other states in the top 10 have DC chargers available in at least one in 10 charging stations.”

· Banned
1,236 Posts
As is typical in this day and age, you have to go to another app to get news about the app you want to use. PlugShare confirms that this Bakersfield EA station is undergoing the upgrade.

And here's a pic of the new type when they re-opened up here, with some awesome dude's awesome car charging on one. That's one cable, with an extension spring at the top and holstered at the other side.

View attachment 21490 View attachment 21491

Looks nice and sleek, like the great looking care behind the charger. 👍

· Banned
1,236 Posts
EA is all I have used when not re-charging at home….and they have been fine for me. Luckily, they are not currently over-subscribed, in my area, so have always found slots open when I pull up.

· Banned
1,236 Posts
I've had nothing but great experiences with EA here in Colorado.

Ditto…here in Maryland (Annapolis area).

Just came back (today) from a trip in my P2 to Philly. Went up to see the Simeone Automobile Museum with a car buddy. On the way home I decided (even though I had enough range to get home) to stop at the Abington EV charging station, outside of Baltimore. They had 8+ charging stations. Only one was currently in use, So no wait. Delivery was at about 120kW. No issues.

· Banned
1,236 Posts
I had an interesting conversation with a friend of mine last night at a gathering we were both invited to. He bought a Mustang Mach-E last year and absolutely loves it, but like me, he travels to SoCal a lot. He told me about a recent trip he did last year where three EA chargers out of six were down (I think he told me Kettleman City off of Interstate 5) and he had to wait almost an hour before one became available. For him that was the last straw and he ended up buying a Model Y, and now has no issues since travelling to SoCal.

I can say that I've pretty much had it with EA, I have zero faith in them

RE: “No issues?”

Maybe not broken, but certainly over subscribed. But whatever the cause for long waits…it doesn’t matter.

Per your conversation with your Tesla friend…..I’m pretty sure I’ve read many, many horror stories and YouTube videos of Tesla owners, in various states (including California), having to wait multiple HOURS to re-charge their Teslas.

Point being - I don’t think anybody, including Tesla, has solved the charging problems that exist as more people put demands on the existing charging infrastructure.

Multiple people on this Forum have had no issues with EA…myself included. Everybody’s experience may be different. One thing I do know - EA is expected to add thousands of new charging stations in the next few years.

· Banned
1,236 Posts
My information is based on first hand information from trusted people such as family, friends and coworkers who own Tesla's, not on second hand biased YouTube videos using click bait. You've already made your bias clear, so your information is worthless to me. With all due respect

Sure, pal…just as I value your antidotal information. 😂

But lets put some numbers to this discussion…..based on a 2022 survey of charging stations in the SF Bay Area: 25% of “public charging stations” were found to be inoperable, while only about 5% of Tesla chargers were found inoperable. On face value, not good. But when you consider that 2 out of every 3 EV’s on the road, today, are Teslas….it’s not all about the number of working charging ports. The huge number of Tesla subscribers is, or can be a major contributor to wait times at their charging stations.

As other EV brands sell more, and capture market share from Tesla, it will become increasingly important that the number of non-functional public charging stations is decreased, while at the same time, more charging ports are added.

But to suggest all tesla owners don’t have any charging issues, or long waits at their Tesla stations, is absurd.…and not backed up by the numerous reports that Show that they also have issues.

· Banned
1,236 Posts
You have all the answers and knowledge. Cant have a discussion with someone who knows it all. If you want to discuss EA chargers, I'm all in
Let’s summarize (after 5 pages of your rants):

You: “EA sucks”

You: “I’ve had it with EA”

….. repeat for 5 more pages….

Me (and others):
“Not everybody has had a bad experience with EA”…you
have your antidotal stories, and others have there’s.

Me:
Actual data (from EA stations in the SF area) show that approximately 25% of EA charging ports were inoperative during the period of this 2022 survey. Tesla’s have a better record, with only 5% reporting inoperability. So, while Teslas have many more working chargers, they also have orders more users (Which would be dependent on location/population density)…

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.