Polestar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2022 PoleStar 2 - Dual Motors - Void
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally charge at home, my son needed to charge the other night and since my Polestar has a bigger battery, I have enough charge to get to work, so I thought I would just charge at an EA on my way home from work. Stopped at the EA near my house yesterday evening, and wouldn't you know it, 2 of the 3 chargers were offline. There was a car charging and another one waiting, so I looked at the app and the next closest chargers were about 3 miles away, but with traffic the way it was it would be 15 minutes, since I still had 38 percent SoC, I ended up just going home.

Looking through the app, I am seeing so many chargers that are offline. I'm talking complete charger locations with every charger offline with the following message:

"All Chargers at this station are currently unavailable. We Apologize for the inconvenience"

I took a look at the charging network I normally use in SoCal when I travel there, and near my brothers house in Eastvale, the main one I use and the biggest one in the area (Ontario Mills) is also offline! the only one within 20 miles of his house is in Corona and only has 4 chargers and is always full. That means that I would have to travel to the City of Yorba Linda, which is about 25 miles away and only has three chargers.

This is starting to become a huge problem. I normally charge 90 percent of the time at home, but depend on chargers when I travel. I'm not sure what's going on, I've never seen so many chargers offline

Font Screenshot Rectangle Number Circle

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yuppp EA sucks a big one. I was road tripping frequently last year and it wasn't as bad as it is now. Whole sites are down, or some that show online in the app that are not really up. Then you get to certain stations where they are "going thru an update" and only putting out 50-60kw (or less)... for weeks. New EA hardware already failing.

Competitors to EA cannot come soon enough, they clearly don't care. EA feels like a half assed effort just because VW had to satisfy their fine for diesel gate.

I've been using EVGo where I can even though its paid, as there seems to be fewer problems with them
The problem with EVGo...there's not that many of them. There are only two chargers near me, and they are only 50kW

Product Rectangle Communication Device Font Software

I guess that's better than 0kW, which EA seems to be delivering these days...

Reactions: Robaround

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most probably the stations that are completely offline are undergoing updates to the new generation. The new ones are much better and worth the wait.
Man I hope you are right! Getting very frustrating

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I've used these at kettleman city, they're a huge upgrade
I'm going to be making a trip in February, if the EA chargers in Bakersfield don't go online by then, I'll probably have to stop in Kettleman City

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
EA is my favorite, but they do not place a priority on fixing down machines and it’s really confusing. I really like that they’ve added the cable slack tension to the machine (like the gas pumps have had for decades) but it still does not absorb the end of cable to keep the plastic connector from slamming into the ground and breaking.
This summer I spoke to an EA tech, and he told me nationwide they have something like 70 techs! The tech I talked to basically services chargers from NorCal to SoCal...a 300 mile stretch! There are about five of them that do the hwy 5 and hwy 99 freeway stretches between SF and LA

• Wow
Reactions: Polarbear

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Some of the locations with the new stations are load balanced. Experienced how badly they've implemented that last night in Corona when 2 load balanced 350KW units would only output 50KW per unit when both were plugged in (for reference we were preconditioned at 18%, so should have been able to pull 150 easy). After the guy unplugged I shot up to 108, then back down to 50 when another Ioniq 5 plugged in.
Is this the chargers at Walmart? I avoid those chargers like the plague and instead go to Chino (Ontario Mills) when I'm visiting my family in SoCal. Every single time I've gone to Corona, one or two are offline and there is a queue built up

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yeah, unfortunately. We'd made several stops on the way down from LA and they were either all full with others waiting or multiple units reporting down. Was trying to stretch to Elsinore or Wildomar, but didn't want to risk it. Had to wait over 20 minutes, then took 15 minutes to get from 18% to 36% (when we split). Oh and don't get me started on the Tesla Y charging to 100% next to me...
Yeah, let's not get into that :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
OH and FYI, it appears the Ontario Mills location is being upgraded right now as the app says all units are unavailable...
Yeah, I saw that in the app. I would probably go to the next city over rather than go to the Corona location. I've never been successful charging there after 3 different trips

Reactions: soylentgreen33

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Imo it's the best ea station I've used
The issue with using Kettleman city is that would mean I would have to make a stop in Valencia...three stops instead of the two I normally make (Harris Ranch and Bakersfield). The Bakersfield stop gets me all the way to Eastvale with maybe 23 percent SoC left

Reactions: Tacoenthusiast

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Yeah, I have to say, I was just irritated. It was clear that the Ioniq 5 and VW ID4 were just using their free charge to top all the way up to or over 80 and with the Tesla up to 100. I can say until Tesla's network is open to all, I will still be irritated by Teslas at EA stations, just saying. Waiting for 20 or 30 minutes while these yahoos topped up, barely managing 5-30KW when all I needed was a few minutes so I wouldn't arrive home with less than 5% was just upsetting. I also have issue with EA only having 3 or 4 stations. I know future locations are supposed to have at least 6, but when are they going to retrofit and add a few more units to existing sites?
I've yet to see a Tesla at an EA station. I've used different EA's in San Jose, Milpitas and Fremont (at the Milpitas EA Tesla has a network right across). I've used EA's travelling to SoCal, and in SoCal I've used EA's in Ontario, Orange County and LA. The way Tesla charges is by time of day...between 9PM to 4PM the rate is between .17 cents and .22 cents per kWh and between 4pm and 9PM it can be up to .58 cents per kWh (peak rates). I usually see Tesla's charge at Great Mall in Milpitas at the lunch hour where they are getting the lower rates.

I barely want to use a slow ass EA charger, not sure why a Tesla owner would unless they let their charge go too low and are desperate :p

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I have the EA free plan as I have the 2022 PS2 but the other day, I was billed $9 for my charging session in San Francisco essentially because the Android App wasn't working and is generally buggy. After repositioning the car three times to be able to finally access what looked like a functioning charging station, even though it was available as far as the charger screen before I plugged it in, the app was telling me it was unavailable in that the charging station was greyed out in the app with the message 'in use'. So, I figured I could use my phone's NFC to tap on the charger and EA would know from my phone number and running app that I have the free plan, but no, it just triggered my Google Pay and billed my credit card. After the charge I phoned EA and requested a refund which took about 20 minutes on the phone to process as she had to enter the details manually, and the representative said that it needs to be submitted for approval: this was a week ago, and I have still not received neither and email nor the refund. The kicker was that the EA representative said that if my app is Android, I should always force stop and clear the cache before using it, and I should make sure the app is open and in view before tapping on charger with the phone. What an absolute farce.
That's the other thing...tap to pay has only worked twice and I can't get it to work, even though I reboot the phone, open the app, etc. Also for some reason, now I have to manually search for the location so I can select the charger I'm using. I have no idea why the app no longer automatically picks up the EA location. Multiple calls to support, and still no answer. Thus, the title of this post

Reactions: chrisjj_2

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I wish I had a dollar for every person I've talked to at an EA charger who was a local just sucking up free juice.

I've always had to have the app open.
Free is good :p

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I mean... free is good... but man, what do these people do for fun if their idea of a good time is to go sit in a Wal Mart parking lot for 30 minutes every few days?!? I love free stuff as much as the next guy but I am not going to drive 20 minutes to my nearest EA just to sit in a car park for 30 minutes for that. Give me my cheap home electric and my wall unit so I can sit cozy in my own living room with a cup of tea if I need to charge LOL
99.9 percent of the time I charge at home, I only use EA chargers while travelling. But SoCal is WAY bigger than the Bay area and there is probably a bigger need for Fast chargers for peoples everyday commute. My charge can easily last a week, but when I'm in SoCal, you can easily do 100 miles in a day commuting, visiting someone etc. Last summer when I was in SoCal, I literally did over 1000 miles in a 5 day stretch! My brother lives in Eastvale (Riverside County), my other brother lives in Redondo beach, my sister lives in Torrance (Los Angeles county), my daughter was going to school at UC Irvine (Orange county) so I had to depend on Fast chargers to keep me going.

I'm actually thinking of buying and installing a L2 charger at my brothers house so I can charge there. He has solar, so I can bum some of his sun power! It will pay itself off from the time not wasting going to EA chargers

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
You can just install a NEMA 14-50 first and use your cable to top off when you visit -- that's what I'm doing at my Mom's house (repurposing our 1980s hot tub wiring, which I found out last week was 6 gauge on the visible lengths, 8 gauge under the house, and no GFCI.)

The EA station near her, which was finished about a year ago, has yet to open and I'm also tired of fighting for slots with the local lunchers and shoppers at the other stations near there.
That's actually a good idea, I can just use the existing charging cable and save the $400 for a L2 charger. Thanks man, I completely forgot it comes with a NEMA 14-50 adapter!

Reactions: Cephas

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
How often do people really need to use a DCFC!? I’ve owned my car since the beginning of last May and have used one precisely 3 times. I get that I probably use it less than probably most, but it seems like more than a few times a month is kinda odd - unless you’re some kind of long range road warrior, or just really wanna inconvenience yourself for the sake of saving a few bucks.
I travel about 5 times a year to SoCal (390 miles each way), so I need to use them, and I need them working. The difference between my trip taking 7 hours or 10 hours depends on fully functioning EA DC fast chargers working and delivering their promised output. If they are not meeting that need, than I might as well take my gasoline car...or get a Model 3

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
There's a lot of this going on because of the free charging deals. Having said that, @AMIRZA786 and @alexr both have valid cases. The other day I spoke to a guy that bought a Lucid and he lives in an apartment with no other option than to charge at L3 stations. For the record, if you only charged at L3 stations, you wouldn't be doing your battery any favors.
I can tell you that on my road trips, absolutely nobody is using those DCF chargers because they have free charging :). They are literally in the middle of nowhere. When I complain, it's specifically about "those" chargers. When the EA fast chargers in my local Safeway or the mall are having issues, it's not that big of deal...although there are people living in apartments and condos that don't have home charging that depend on those...like tech workers. They may make a big salary, but the rent they have to pay is also big chunk of their income

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Maybe we need more of these, and less in shopping centers. Of course then people will complain they have nothing to do for 30 minutes.:rolleyes:

I don't get the connection. Tech workers can't afford housing/houses?
In the Bay area, rent is expensive. Very expensive. A one bedroom can be $3000 to $3500 a month...and that's an average apartment in an average area. The average price of a house in SJ is $1,180M. So for younger tech workers, the cost of housing eats into their budgets

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I thought these are the high paid guys 🤷‍♂️
They are highly paid...but so is the cost of housing and living. I was lucky, I bought my first house here before houses hit the Million mark (2006). Today I couldn't afford a house if I had not bought more than 15 years back!

Reactions: Nick_Arin

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
I had an interesting conversation with a friend of mine last night at a gathering we were both invited to. He bought a Mustang Mach-E last year and absolutely loves it, but like me, he travels to SoCal a lot. He told me about a recent trip he did last year where three EA chargers out of six were down (I think he told me Kettleman City off of Interstate 5) and he had to wait almost an hour before one became available. For him that was the last straw and he ended up buying a Model Y, and now has no issues since travelling to SoCal.

I can say that I've pretty much had it with EA, I have zero faith in them

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
My information is based on first hand information from trusted people such as family, friends and coworkers who own Tesla's, not on second hand biased YouTube videos using click bait. You've already made your bias clear, so your information is worthless to me. With all due respect

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.